Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cooking a Prime rib

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Salting is fine, just use Coarse salt and apply it just before cooking. It gives a nice crust to the roast.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You had to bring this up, and a good memory came walking back into my mind. I moved to Colorado 31 years ago and decided that if I wanted any of my old buddys to come out hunting, I would have to put a nice elk camp together. I bought a big 14' X 20' wall tent, wood stove with in-the-stack oven, and six cots. Everybody showed up and we headed up north of Steamboat Springs in a light snow and cold, cold snap. It was bitter when we got to our chosen camp spot and we got the tent thrown up. I sent everyone out to cut a giant pile of firewood.

I had bought a big prime rib for our first night and went to work. Got the stove going and oven warming up and started on the prime rib. I sliced the rib bones partially back, and rubbed salt, pepper, fresh chopped garlic, and onion powder between the ribs and meat. Butchers twine bound the bones back tightly. I coated the chunk with vegetable oil and spiced the outside and put it in a pan. Stuck a meat thermometer in its *** and put her in the Riley oven.

The woodchoppers were coming back and shivering in the cold so the big pot of coffee was welcomed. Everyone huddled around the stove til warmed and we started putting the rest of camp together and talking about hunting the next day. We fed the stove like Casey Jones's Ole 97 and the oven was staying in the 300-350 degree range. A little wine, a little Jack, and a lot of lies and the thermometer in the rib roast got up to about 130 degrees a couple of hours later. I pulled it. I sliced the bones off and handed them out as appetizers. Big slabs of prime and of course the end cuts went to the guys who promised to drag my elk out. We had side dishes of asparagus, fried taters, and rice.

Things always taste better out in the wild, but man, this was the best. If we went outside the tent, drinks froze within minutes. You had to make sure you had a warm sip before you went outside to pee or it wouldn't make it to the ground and you'd have to take a stick and knock it off. That night it got down to 20 below but inside the tent we were warm as long as someone fed the stove every couple of hours. Coldest I have ever camped. This will stand out as one of the best meals I have ever eaten.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Thanks for the idea's Matt and Bark, you too Scott.

This is how I did it and it was the BEST prime rib we have ever had.

I put appx 18 slits on the fat side and pressed in cloves of garlic, rubbed on my spice blend then covered it and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Pulled it out in the morning and let it come to room temp, (appx 4hrs). then I brushed on a very light coat of olive oil then put it into a 550* oven uncovered for 66 minutes. Once the timer went off at the 66 minute mark I shut down the oven and left the rib in for another 2 hours WITHOUT opening the oven. pulled it out and covered it with foil just till the mashed taters were done about 15 minutes then carved it up. It was so tender that just the weight of the knife cut through the rib. med-med rare in the middle and med-med well on the ends.

This was a 11# no bone USDA prime prime rib that was trimmed and tied by the butcher. Also, I put it on a rack in the roasting pan and added water up till the level of the rack. If you cook it like this it will smoke up the house a little bit but the water reduces that. You should also be advised that it destroyed my wifes roasting pan, but she said it was worth it.
I am gonna have to try this one some day.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by RTillery
Things always taste better out in the wild,
Sounds like a good time
Even SPAM on a stick roasted over a fire tastes wonderful when camped out.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
Sounds like a good time
Even shrew on a stick roasted over a fire tastes wonderful when camped out.
Now you know what to do with the ones at the house. Set up a hot-shrew concession and start making money on them.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Its that time again!

Just robbed a bank and bought this years prime rib.
Its so beautiful.
The wife says I can't bring it to bed with me.
I may just start sleeping on the couch.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a good time
Even SPAM on a stick roasted over a fire tastes wonderful when camped out.
We used to cook spam, baked beans and pineapple together over a fire when camping. Real good stuff!

Just robbed a bank and bought this years prime rib.
Its so beautiful.
The wife says I can't bring it to bed with me.
I may just start sleeping on the couch.

HECK YEAH it is.. No room in my bed for the rib with the wife and dog.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 PM

Make the wife sleep on the couch.
I sure do talk tough when my wife isnt looking.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:38 AM

I was just handed a 14lb choice rib roast to cook for Christmas (they called it prime rib but its not really).
Wish they would have given it to me two days ago but its ok. I will still have two nights alone with it.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:26 AM

Take it easy on it, rub it gently and it will serve you well.

We're doing a smoked butt this year. Ooooh yeah!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
$15/lb out here on the coast!!

Dad said $%&! it! and brought a nice one over from Montana at $5/lb.(Hvytrk, I know what you mean about getting it alone!?)

We did the old apple smoke/garlic rub and baked it at 375 for an hour or so and then let it sit for a few hours before kicking the oven back on for an hour before dinner.

Unbelievable once again!

Happy New Year.

Six
Old 01-01-2014, 11:25 PM

Mmmmm, the one at Cristmass turned out good too. Did it a little different.
This time I cooked at 450 until the outside was crisping pretty good than turned the oven down to 300 until the center meat thermometer got to 114f.
Pulled it out and put a little AL foil on it.
After resting for about 45 min the Carry over cooking got the center up to 135f than we cut into it.
It was perfect and hardly lost any juice.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I don't want to visit this one any more,,,,,

Chicken for dinner again....
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Yeah...
Sniff,, I wont be back here for another 12 months either.
Unless I win the lottery.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM

We can always dream boys!

Good thing I like chicken.

Quick Reply: Cooking a Prime rib