Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Dodge Diesel website?
DieselRam.Com
1.91%
Turbo Diesel Register
14.01%
Diesel Truck Resource
84.08%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Controversial Poll?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I notice I go to the TDR a lot more than here. The reason USED to be that you weren't running Vbulletin. Adding Vbulletin was a great upgrade!

I too would suggest a $10 member's-only section. People appreciate more what they pay for--the site is certainly worth it.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with most of the "likes" in the other posts, so I won't waste any time with those.

I would like to see more techincal info such as specs, TSBs, how-to's and such. I know they are available elsewhere, but we should have them here.

I would like to see more articles on tried and/or tested products. I would enjoy reading an indepth, magazine style article on installation, installation tips, pictures, seat of the pants reactions, and maybe even dyno comparisons. This would not have to be limited to performance add-ons, it should include things that just make the truck better.

I've seen some really inovative ideas that some of the members have come up with (back up lights, switch panels, etc.) and I've started to lose track of some of them. Maybe a spot could be created to post original ideas or improvements (with pictures). It maybe could even include a table of contents that people could look through.

Also, maybe a spot for links to video clips. I love to watch all the stuff that gets posted on here.

Best site on the web, Jack. Great Job!
Old 05-25-2004, 08:28 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback everyone. I also appreciate the honesty as that is the only way we can improve the site. There are lots of things that people want, and I'm drafting a plan to iplement many of this things. The only thing I would ask is for patience as we move forward as I work full-time, and do this on the side. It'll get done though

Jack
Old 05-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation How did I miss this thread?

I am a convert from the TDR. I was a member there since it opened its doors and before that on the CDW. Needless to say I let my membership lapse. I have to say that the TDR in its infancy was this civilized and was pretty much the same for content and response. But as the advertising bucks and influx of new directors on that site came to a head, the site IMHO has lost all connection to its readers.

I agree with all the comments here in that the DTR has maintained its family atmosphere and set the ground rules early to keep it on the right track. I am in full support of the site and will be a long time member.

Suggestions, well the search options mentioned in other posts for members by state, chapter is a good one. Also the FAQ could be a huge directory of information, we just need to get some technical writers from the masses to contribute some articles.

Good job Jack, thanks for creating this great forum for us diesel heads...

J-eh
Old 05-26-2004, 06:23 AM

I belong to all three. But like this one best. Somethat more original in format. A better home page for starters. Donations instead of a subscription although I am not adverse to a yearly fee of say $10.00. While the TDR magazine is OK I don't really find it of much use as the stuff is posted on the website anyway. I find the atmosphere here somewhat friendlier and people seem to be more flexible and informed. TDR seems now to be a business focussed on profits and towing the DC party line while the DTR connects to the membership better.

A TSB listing would be great. Also I think that photos should be posted to the gallery without approval process. This is especially useful if you want to include a photo in a posting. Now you have to wait for the photo to be approved first. Just makes it easier.

Expand the store to include DTR logo items.

Keep up the good work.

Casey
Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Balvert,

Thanks for the feedback. I would love to allow posting of photos without the approval process. However, you haven't seen some of the pics people have tried to put up. That will never change because some people don't get the rules. I appreciate the feedback though.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:22 AM

I agree with photo delay, it usually is not long b4 a moderator approves it anyways, it helps keep the integrity of the site if you absolutely have to see it a person could pm or email you inapropriate photos
Old 05-26-2004, 01:47 PM

Jack,
as one of the newest members to this site I will say that if I only would have known about this site before spending $35.00 bucks. I will say that the TDR is an Ok site but this site is much better. My renewal to the TDR is due soon, I will be sending you the $35.00 instead. Great site and thanks for all of your time that you and your helpers contribute to make it that way.

P.S.How is Jonah coming with his certification program. Next time you have a problem with him let me know.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a DC dealer tech and Cummins owner I've found this site to be the most friendly. I've learned a ton here from other members and try to help out where I can to return the favor.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
this is a tough one...

It says a lot about this site that such a poll was even posted. It takes courage to ask for an honest assessment.

That said, there some things about this site that I much prefer to the TDR, but there are some things I prefer about TDR as well.

The highlights have been mentioned- larger attachments, pics, etc. As far as the site itself goes- features, user-friendliness, etc.-- DTR is fantastic.

I especially appreciate that the DTR has the vendor presence that it does. By this, I specifically mean Don Morrison and Wildcat Diesel.

I have been a TDR member for over a year and I appreciate what TDR offers as well. Too many people have given TDR a bad name because they got involved in some urinary olympics. As for the magazine-- I still get it mostly because of the advertisements. I mean, the second Gen coverage has become just endless rehash of Lift pumps, trackbars, and so on. There's nothing new.

TDR has a great sense of family also. I have seen some shameful behavior there, but that's mostly because it's just a larger site, so your bound to have more bad apples.

I actually appreciate the fact that TDR is more loosely moderated. I guess you just have to be a little more thick skinned to go there. It can also seem a bit "cliquish" among the guys who have been there a long time.

Sometimes DTR comes across as a glorified advertisement-- like it's there at least as much for the advertisers as it is for the members. I guess that's not so bad-- I mean, DTR has to pay the bills somehow, right?

I appreciate the MOST the fact that Jack and others are giving the TDR competition. It can only improve the quality of the Dodge Diesel boards. I appreciate DTR, and I frequent the site a lot. But I haven't seen the need (yet) to get rid of my TDR membership. Mostly because it's a measly $35.

One final note: the quality of a board lies mostly in the people that post, not the moderators or the owners. So if you are disappointed with a board, be part of the solution, not the problem. Don't be the one flaming newbies and dismissing them with "do a search". It's a big cop out to not have to help. If you know something and see that no one's gotten a response to a post--- HELP THEM. Remember that once upon a time, YOU didn't know anything about lift pumps, torque plates, track bars, ATS vs. DTT, etc etc.

As the Apostle Paul told Timothy-- "Don't let anyone look down on you because your youth..." I would add inexperience to that as well.

Justin
Old 05-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by HOHN

One final note: the quality of a board lies mostly in the people that post, not the moderators or the owners. So if you are disappointed with a board, be part of the solution, not the problem. Don't be the one flaming newbies and dismissing them with "do a search". It's a big cop out to not have to help. If you know something and see that no one's gotten a response to a post--- HELP THEM. Remember that once upon a time, YOU didn't know anything about lift pumps, torque plates, track bars, ATS vs. DTT, etc etc.

Well said Justin!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:26 PM

Great site. I have learned things I would have never known. Found a great deal at Geno's on gauges and filters. Keep up the excellent job, Thanks, dave.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:09 AM

I love this site,this is the first place I look when I start my computer.
I am a member of the TDR mostly for the magazine,but I have learned to keep my opinion to myself on the TDR,it is more laid back here,I never thought to donate money until the other day,I realized I am using this for free and someone is taking the time to keep this site going,so I made my first donation and will do so on a regular basis.
I go to the Diesel stop also,I am still a Ford guy deep down so I like to keep up on the other diesels.
Thanks Jack for a great site.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:09 AM

I've never heard of dieselram.com. DTR is my HOME page; when I open IE it's what comes up.

I vote AGAINST a paying members only section. The whole YOU MUST PAY is part of what forms the mindset of the people on TDR, I think.

I like the smaller closer knit environment here. People are more friendly and much more accepting to newbies with stupid questions like I was/still am.

My $35 renewal to TDR will not go to TDR but to DTR.

I want stickers! I think we all do. Stickers are also a good way to get donations. You can overcharge us for stickers when we know the extra money is going to keeping this site great. If you want, a friend's dad works at a sticker factory... can get the nice UV resistant vinyl so it doesn't fade this time! 100+K mile stickers are fun too!

The only problem I ever had was with someone who would not no matter what agree that the only difference between a 3rd gen 2500 HO and a 3rd gen 3500 HO SRW were alien lamps and overload springs

I don't really like the classifieds section much (but I don't need to use it much either). I actually prefer the classifieds section on Jeepsunlimited.com which is pretty much a free-for-all posting forum. Seems a little primitive but...

I'm a convert from a TDI golf, have 75K miles on my truck in 7 months and have learned so much here from before I was buying my truck (Mexstan told me a good dealer to check out and I ended up flying from NJ to Austin TX to buy my truck and drive home at invoice minus rebates) to all of the mods I've added.

Thank you!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 PM

"Hello, my name is BiggRigg600... and I have a DTR problem."

Man, I am hopelessly addicted to this site... Simply put, I spend way too much time here, but I can't help it.

Many times while driving my CTD, I find myself thinking about the posts, and paying attention to my truck to see if it has whatever behavior was talked about in the threads. I know, I know, it's turned into an obsession, but hey... there are worse things to be obsessed about, right?

Anyways, as far as this site itself is concerned, I absolutely love it. I like the interface, the features, etc, IMO everything is far better than the others, but that all pales in comparison to the members. I have always had fast, friendly and knowlegable replies to my posts whether they were stupid questions or complicated issues. There's also the great humor that keeps me entertained <Read: Concrete Bedliner by HOSS>. In my short CTD ownership, I have learned a ton about my truck, as well as general Diesel knowledge... with most of that knowledge coming exclusively from this site and it's members! I have been able to save a small fortune with the deals that some of you guys have showed me... things which I would have never known about had it not been for this site. My wife and my pocketbook don't share my enthusiasm for all these "great deals" however!

I agree with NJOVERKILL, I vote against a "Members Only" pay section... after all, that is why I am a member here and not @ TDR. IMO, being FORCED to pay will steer newbies away... like TDR did to me. Besides, since I am already a Member, as are all of you since you have signed up, this is already "Members Only". I think that the best way to raise money for the site is to sell stickers/shirts/hats/truck badges, etc. That way the site is getting free advertising, and we are able to express our loyalty for this online community.

So there you have it, my 2¢. I love this site and wouldn't change anything... well, except for adding Arizona time to the Time Offset for those of us out here in the desert. Thanks to all of those in charge of this site from a creation/administration standpoint, you're doing a great job! Thanks to all of the members who have helped me along the way so far on my slightly paranoid, and definitely obssessed ownership journey with my 1st CTD...

Quick Reply: Controversial Poll?