Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Dodge Diesel website?
DieselRam.Com
1.91%
Turbo Diesel Register
14.01%
Diesel Truck Resource
84.08%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Controversial Poll?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TDR isn't anywhere near as much fun, nor as comical as this site. I didn't even know there was a site called dieselram.com. I love this site. It's funny, the folks are great, it's clean, and there's more information here than I could ever possibly read through. I spend about 4 hours a day browsing this site.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:26 AM

I have my re-up for the TDR sitting in hand and I am most likely going to let it expire.

I have really enjoyed this site (and found it down right amusing at times!), and furthermore found it very useful! The "family" environment is also something I truly appreciate - kudos to you and the moderators Jack, I know that it is not easy to provide that in today's world, much less as well as it is done here.

Some things I would like to see -

Expanded FAQ's on technical topics
A more elaborate member search tool
More smilies

Keep up the good work!

Matt
Old 05-14-2004, 08:10 AM

I have only been to TDR a few times in the past few years, and was unimpressed with the flaming and immature way many folks there treated newbie's. I joined this site just over three years ago, and have never looked back. The people here are really good people, sharing their knowledge and experience without belittling others, and have a good sense of humor to boot. On any topic, there have been some heated discussions, but you and the moderators have kept them pretty civil for the most part, and I find it refreshing to be able to discuss even sensitive topics in a factual, knowledgable, and civil manner even if we agree to disagree. This is a very difficult thing to provide when so many people get together in one place, and you all have done a really excellent job.

I agree with the others that some tech doc links and tsb links would be helpful, and God bless you all for being the fine folks you are (even Hoss).
Old 05-14-2004, 08:12 AM

TDR? what? are they all dyslexic? Jack, I work with cmoputers for my job and because of that I don't mess with computers at all if I can avoid it. This forum is the only reason for my even looking at a computer with out getting paid! All of the above suggestions are good and I concur on them all. Any effort to facilitate friendship and understanding is the work of the wise. You provide a great service to us all.
I am sorry that I don't have an opinion on the other sites as I have no need to go look at them............................come to think of it, I can go check them out and report back....................But it's gonna cost ya!!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I like the language and the general friendliness of this site. Once upon a time this site was windows internet explorer only for a short time but this was fixed too

I think that a biodiesel forum would be nice and some kind of fill in form where you can profile your truck, and then search for posts of other people with similar truck profiles. I'd suggest that build date and model, transmission, engine , mods mileage etc should be put into that. Maybe even a short trouble and a mod list with each truck to get statistics.

All in all I think it's a fabulous site !

AlpineRAM
Old 05-14-2004, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What other Dodge sites?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:45 AM

I have never heard of the first one so I don't know much about it. TDR would be good if it didn't cost money but the only advantage they have is more members. That's really not a problem because I have always had my questions answered here so I voting DTR because its free and I have learned a ton.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:01 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I look at it this way. When you're looking to see activity on a site, it's not just the member numbers that you should look at. The more important numbers in my opinion are the posts per day. I say that because even though some other sites may have more members, their ratio of posts per day compared to ours is less. What I mean is that when our site hits that same growth stage, we'll have more posts per day. Take today for instance. One site with 9000 more members has 332 posts right now. We have 221 at this moment. If you do the math, we would have about 440 right now at the same growth stage.

Keep in mind too that we're the fastest growing diesl website on the net besides TDS (Ford). We're gaining on the competition by sometimes 10 members a day, sometimes 2, but we'll get there and I can guarantee we will be the largest, most informed, fastest and friendliest site out there. There are a lot of great things coming in the future.

Ok, so I sound nuts with the numbers, but I do study this once in a while.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:02 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I wonder if what makes this place work so well is that the staff aren't predisposed, or have an agenda. At least to this point in time. They are here because they want to be and when they feel like it. Not because someone is putting food in their mouth. They're not trying to please a membership that is paying their salary either. Keep up the good work guys and your time is appreciated.

I occasionally check TDR's classifieds and CTD hybrids. Would like to see an area here for hybrids.

I've gone this long without a chainsaw forum.

Spellckeckwedontneednostinkingspellcheck.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:11 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I know I know, I've been getting more requests for a hybrid or conversion forum. I'll think about it and let you all know.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
I look at it this way. When you're looking to see activity on a site, it's not just the member numbers that you should look at. The more important numbers in my opinion are the posts per day.
And even more important- the number of real posts that ain't spam, flames or bs.
That's where the DTR really shines!
I've been wading through one other site where especially tranny questions had a 50%bs 49%flame 0.5% useless reminiscence and 0.5% usable information ratio.

That's IMHO the secret of success of this site and if this is kept up I think growth will continue.

AlpineRAM
Old 05-14-2004, 11:31 AM

I really appreciate the friendliness of this site and the wealth of information I've gained from reading it. I don't post much, but hoping to change that in the future as I learn more about my first diesel. When I was shopping for my current truck, I visited this site daily, and still do when I'm near a computer. I've learned so much from this site, I can't believe what it would've been like shopping for a new diesel truck without a site like this.

Some of the things I like:
*Policies of this site, no naming dealers and such.
*Donations not fees
*Family friendly
*Classifieds - Good place to look for good accessories & such

Thanks again for providing such a great site.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel lucky that I found this site before I spent the $35 for a TDR membership--I can't think of anything I've wondered about and asked that hasn't been answered here at DTR. Quite a few interesting characters around, so things are seldom boring. I've never really done any comprehensive surfing on TDR; I've mostly read archived posts there that have turned up on Google searches, so I have no firsthand experience with flame wars or the like.

Suggestions:
Last time I looked at the Classifieds, there were quite a few, and some of them seemed a bit old. Maybe there's a way to age them out?

I never can seem to find the login right away if I hit the site from a computer I don't normally use. Takes some time to figure out where it is.

This may exist and I don't know it: a page with links to all the current advertisers' websites. Sometimes I can't remember someone's URL and I just surf around until their ad happens to come up.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:58 PM

Well, to be honest, I found this site in desperation when I was having charging trouble with my truck. Through several shops including local dealer and no fix for 4 months. So I went to the web and found a few places. THIS webite offered advice, pointers and ultimately the answer (CSS). In about 2 days. All who responded were courteous, civil and genuinely interested in rectifying my dilemma. I find the characters here to be funny, courteous, and helpful.

I credit Jack and his motley crew of administrators for the great job of keeping us civil even when we don't want to be . I honestly just don't go back to sites where the jerk ratio is too high. This site has an infentismal (sp) jerk ratio (if you leave me out). I have no complaints that I consider worth mentioning, or that have not been mentioned before.

This site is proof that "you only get what you pay for" doesn't always mean ca$h. So thank you for letting me hang around , offer my .03 (with exchange ), and try to pay with help for others. We're almost back on our feet here and we'll be sending some of that support that will help keep the best CTD site on the web going and growing. Rick
Old 05-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Jack:

I am getting my comments in here a little late. My apologies
for that!

I think you already know how I feel about this site and you
as the founder of "Diesel Truck Resource!" But,...for those
that may not know what I am talking about, you have done
an EXCELLENT JOB with this site and I am very proud to be
a member!! Jack, I am glad to have become a member early
on to have been able to see this site grow into what it is
today! It has been a pleasure to have met some of the
nicest people I know directly from the DTR!! The way the
DTR Chapters have taken off still amazes me!!

This site is my favorite because as I have told you before,
"you and the moderators run a tight ship!!" While some
may not like that, I respect you for doing the things the way
you do! Yes, I am also a member over at the TDR, but IMO
their site has become somewhat "hostile" over the last two
to three years, especially when certain subjects are discussed!

Jack, thanks again for all of your hard work and effort in
providing us all with an excellent diesel website!

-----------------
Respectfully,

John_P

Quick Reply: Controversial Poll?