Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Considering buying a Laptop Computer for my son

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check these out..

They are the clasmate PC's they are small and durable.. yet they have some real hardware. Linux or Windows versions are available

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pro...&s=electronics

This link is from the manufacture and has some more info on it..(note some of the info is old)

It might be a good starter laptop and he can always plug into a bigger screen / keyboard at home..
Old 11-02-2008, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok so it sounds like Dell is the way to go. The more im looking at them, im torn whether to get him a "gaming" laptop......or an Inspiron Mini 9 or a something in between. The Mini 9 (with the most Ram etc.) may be an option. The small size and still using (windows xp) sounds appealing. My son could throw it in his backpack and go. Does anybody have one or have any comment about them? Thanks again.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...ref=lthp&s=dhs

Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Ok so it sounds like Dell is the way to go. The more im looking at them, im torn whether to get him a "gaming" laptop......or an Inspiron Mini 9 or a something in between. The Mini 9 (with the most Ram etc.) may be an option. The small size and still using (windows xp) sounds appealing. My son could throw it in his backpack and go. Does anybody have one or have any comment about them? Thanks again.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...ref=lthp&s=dhs

Look into HP...I have 3 of them and LOVE them!!! I have the DV6000 and it rocks..

Wireless, huge hard drive, fast processor....the works for under 900.00
Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 AM

toughbook!

those arent expensive at all (yea right) but man, can they take a beating.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:00 AM

Any comments on the Inspiron Mini 9? Thanks again.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Any comments on the Inspiron Mini 9? Thanks again.

The screen is kind of small if he is going to be using it to type papers and such. It is really designed more to very portable.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd steer away from anything really small, since this will be his only machine. The tiny machines are great for someone always traveling and needing a compact machine, but they tend to lack a lot of the bells and whistles you need on your primary machine.

I had one of the small Dells before and swapped it out for the 6xx series because it just didn't have enough power or functionality for what I needed.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by nirion
The screen is kind of small if he is going to be using it to type papers and such. It is really designed more to very portable.

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
I'd steer away from anything really small, since this will be his only machine. The tiny machines are great for someone always traveling and needing a compact machine, but they tend to lack a lot of the bells and whistles you need on your primary machine.

I had one of the small Dells before and swapped it out for the 6xx series because it just didn't have enough power or functionality for what I needed.

Points well taken. I don't know how many "papers" he will be doing on it. He is in the 7th grade. But I'd hate to spend money on something that is not going to function up to the level he needs, or will need. For that matter, I guess he could use mine or his mother's desktop if needed.

I just don't want to buy him something to big that makes it impractical for a kid to throw around in his backpack. Currently his favorite toy is his Nintendo DS. He loves that thing especially when we are taking a long trip. So I thought the Mini 9 might be something to build up from there. Then someday before college...get him a bigger, newer, more advanced machine.

Just some random thoughts.....

Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM

I've got two Dell laptops that I use for work - and don't have any complaints about them other than requiring M$ OS on it.

But, before you spend any money for your son, look at a Mac Book.

And no matter what you buy - get a warranty pkg for it.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Points well taken. I don't know how many "papers" he will be doing on it. He is in the 7th grade. But I'd hate to spend money on something that is not going to function up to the level he needs, or will need. For that matter, I guess he could use mine or his mother's desktop if needed.

I just don't want to buy him something to big that makes it impractical for a kid to throw around in his backpack. Currently his favorite toy is his Nintendo DS. He loves that thing especially when we are taking a long trip. So I thought the Mini 9 might be something to build up from there. Then someday before college...get him a bigger, newer, more advanced machine.

Just some random thoughts.....

A couple things to consider. A 7th grade probably has a few short papers (a couple pages) some that may have research (especially now with kids learning crazy stuff at younger ages). But definately once he hits high school there will be papers. Maybe you get a mini now, and then a regular desktop in a couple years? Or let him keep playing the DS and get him a desktop. $400 will buy a nice basic Dell desktop with a lcd monitor. $1000 you were going to buy could get the mini and a desktop and still have some left over, even after taxes.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:42 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

I just bought a new dell m1530 big super fast lap top too replace my desk top since I am on the road more and need too keep in touch with bills and people
Old 11-09-2008, 05:03 PM

I've got a Toshiba thats almost two yers old and it's been flawless. Make sure to comparison shop,my laptop was $648.00 and the next model up was $900.00. The only real difference between the two was memory,mine had 512 and the other had 1 gig.
I was able to buy another 512 and install myself for $79.00 and had a computer almost identical to the more expensive one and saved about 150 bucks. I was really kind of shocked, I can't believe that people will actually waste money like that when with just alittle effort you can save big $$$$.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM

More and more people use their laptops to drive a multimedia projector (sometimes showing a DVD movie or making a presentation using PowerPoint). Make sure it will drive a multimedia projector!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
I just bought a new dell m1530 big super fast lap top too replace my desk top since I am on the road more and need too keep in touch with bills and people
Thats the main reason I bought my laptop. Power line construction takes a man all over the country during storms and such.I spent 2 months in Nebraska winter before last due to the ice storms. I had no way to pay some of my bills and do my banking so I bought my laptop.Now no matter where I'm at I can take care of business.
I've got a nice desk top but it hardly ever gets turned on anymore. I like the laptop because I can kick back in the recliner,watch TV,visit with the family,and still hang out on DTR!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:57 PM

Comparision shop you can find good deals if you look around. If he is in to computer like you said, the little one will be a BIG dissappointment to him. He probablly can do more on a computer thay you and if you get something below his ability he will not use it. Dells are good so are HP's and Toshibae's but if you look around and see what is offered you might be suprised.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a Laptop Computer for my son