Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Concealed Carry Holsters for Glock

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps the difference is the angle of the grips, I know that with the xd I adjusted the holster to tilt it forward to keep the butt of the pistol closer to my center mast so it wouldnt show. Maybe with the Glock grip the angle is enough to make that impossible.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Chapter President

Talking Blackhawk!

I run my G-22 in a Blackhawk! CQC SERPA (level 2). Haven't seen a better holster, Plus you don't have to worry about dropping the gun at the grocery market. I've heard it happens more than you would think!

http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp?D=D0049&S=S0742&G=&C=&N=1&pricestart =&priceend=
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Hey, for all of you (MANY!) guys who are carrying in kydex - what's the noise profile?
I made a carry holster a few years back for a co-worker who wanted one in silent leather, because as a bow-hunter he claimed was just getting too much noise from his Uncle Mikes and FOBUS rigs. I built him one in horsehide that he's still using as his fulltime carry rig even between hunting seasons. Now that he's gone to ALASKA, I kinda doubt there are many "between seasons", though

OK mods, don't edit me out - I'm RETIRED from production due to advancing arthritis - just can't do those tight stitches by hand any longer. I'm just curious, as the few times I've used a kydex holster as the "bones" for a paddle rig, I did note they seemed kinda rattly until I glued in the pigskin liner.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:49 PM

If you want the BEST in quality and selection, there is only one holster...........Kramer. http://www.kramerleather.com
Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by halfpint23
Hey, for all of you (MANY!) guys who are carrying in kydex - what's the noise profile?
I made a carry holster a few years back for a co-worker who wanted one in silent leather, because as a bow-hunter he claimed was just getting too much noise from his Uncle Mikes and FOBUS rigs. I built him one in horsehide that he's still using as his fulltime carry rig even between hunting seasons. Now that he's gone to ALASKA, I kinda doubt there are many "between seasons", though

OK mods, don't edit me out - I'm RETIRED from production due to advancing arthritis - just can't do those tight stitches by hand any longer. I'm just curious, as the few times I've used a kydex holster as the "bones" for a paddle rig, I did note they seemed kinda rattly until I glued in the pigskin liner.
I get no rattle noise from mine, just a bit of creaking from the belt rubbing on the belt C clips. It holds the XD very snug, good retention. I can almost remove the holster (with my belt undone) just by pulling the pistol. But not so much grip as to imped me drawing if I need to.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Sidearmor

I have and use a SideArmor IWB for my G23. http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/catalo...d_Holster.html

They are popular on Glocktalk.com, just as the Smarty is popular here. Several years ago when I bought I didn't realize they were local to me, but just before I ordered I noticed and went down in person. In small town Flagstaff Arizona of all places! I have no affiliation, but do praise their customer service and products.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by halfpint23
I made a carry holster a few years back for a co-worker who wanted one in silent leather, because as a bow-hunter he claimed was just getting too much noise from his Uncle Mikes and FOBUS rigs...
I've never thought about rattle before, never really heard it discussed either. Keep in mind, fobus and uncle mikes are the cheaper, mass produced brands out there. Sidearmor and others are top quality, indevidually hand made at times with some having spring retention for snuggness with a quick smooth draw.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Some great info here. Appreciate everyone's responses. I am looking for an IWB or ankle holster. Leaning to the ankle as I wear lace-up work boots and jeans (don't even own a pair of shoes - go figure) and think it would be less obvious around my ankle under my pants leg than trying to keep it in the small of my back or side.

Opinions?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Ankle holsters might be OK for A B.U.G. but it would be hard to get to on the sly as it would be VERY obvious to anyone in the area if you needed to draw your weapon.

Different strokes though........

A good fitting holster with a good GUN belt will make you almost forget you're carrying, and is much easier to draw on the QT if the need arises.

And can be covered with any sufficiently long overshirt.
I like the 1/4 zip-up fleece pullovers myself.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 PM

hmmm ... as i read this i had my iwb glock 26 and holster on my side...

it's a biachi ... model 100 Sz10A

fits my 260 lb 6'2" frame like a glove and easy to pull out and put in the door pocket when i running down the road
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MSquare
If you want the BEST in quality and selection, there is only one holster...........Kramer. http://www.kramerleather.com
WARNING TO THE WISE....

If you buy a Kramer, do NOT shove the gun home until it's been wet blocked, gunbuttered to a fare-thee-well and BROKE IN. Kramer treats their leather (mostly horsehide) with something that makes it HARD, and it tends to also shrink a bit as it cures out.

I once had the distinctly unique entertainment of watching two hefty local guys trying to get a new Sig (belonging to one of them) out of a brand-new Kramer holster. Gun didn't fit too well - gun owner (being a MAN) shoved that puppy home to "where it ought to ride" and then couldn't get it out again!
They pulled and shoved (and sweated - gun was loaded)

for an hour trying to pry it out. Finally did get it out, and it's owner promptly took my advice and ran a lot of hot water through it - then liberally buttered it and worked the (now unloaded!) pistol in and out til it finally did fit correctly.

MOST custom or semi-custom fitted carry rigs will fit kinda tight by design, but the Kramers of that time (like 10-12 years ago) were notorious for being just a bit too tight when new to work well. People liked their designs, but had a hassle to break them in to be nice to carry and use. Those tight Kramers were one of the reasons my hubby and his shooting buds coerced me into building gunleather in the first place - it was a short-lived thing, though, it takes time to build one right, and the boning, fitting and hand stitching is a real booger when your hands hurt.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM

I haven't had that issue with any of the Kramers I own, two paddles, a scabbard and a pocket. But I will say they are built snug and secure.

I also wear one of their double thick gun belts. The belt is the foundation for a good holster. So drawing is not an issue, the whole system is very secure.

halfpint, just noticed, we are in the same area. I'm off of 522 and Echo Lake. I'm out your way often, give me a shout if you see a white, 2nd gen, FF plates and DDP stickers on the flip out windows. Take care.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
I run my G-22 in a Blackhawk! CQC SERPA (level 2). Haven't seen a better holster, Plus you don't have to worry about dropping the gun at the grocery market. I've heard it happens more than you would think!

http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp?D=D0049&S=S0742&G=&C=&N=1&pricestart =&priceend=
This is a great holster. Your gun is very secure but very easy to draw quickly.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MSquare
>SNIP>
halfpint, just noticed, we are in the same area. I'm off of 522 and Echo Lake. I'm out your way often, give me a shout if you see a white, 2nd gen, FF plates and DDP stickers on the flip out windows. Take care.
Agree 200% on the belt thing - if you put the best holster in the world on a flimsy (or too narrow) belt, it just ain't gonna perform as it should! The belt needs enough rigidity (stiffness across its width) to keep the holster stabilized where you want it to ride, especially if it's a pancake or other "belt loop" design.

The poster who mentioned grip angle and length is right on, also - though I'll add here that the shooter's body type (shape, size) has a LOT to do with how well an individual gun or carry mode will conceal. I am personally very short-waisted and "round" (being nice here), so a big ol' 1911 type makes me look like I'm packing a football. Strong side carry doesn't work for me - with a bum shoulder and elbow, I just can't raise the hand enough to clear leather! Taller or longer waisted people hide their guns better, and can clear leather much easier.

A crossdraw carry in a contoured pancake worked out real well for me, though - in both a mid-size auto (swiss-made double stack .380) and my fave S&W 60 .357 with combat grips. The grips end up under - er, my bustline, and in a sweatshirt, or just a loose shirt over a tee, NOBODY has a clue I'm packing.

Hey, MSquare, there are like FIFTY white 2nd gens out my way, including ours - common as dirt, but NONE of the CTD variety are for sale Lotsa guys running with DDP stuff (or at least with the stickers), we have a real healthy population of CTD owners here.
I look at 'em all, too - as I commute to Bellevue in my embarrassingly small bright yellow Aveo, with Blue Star banner and camo "troops" magnets on the back. I swear I can now tell the difference between a Cummins with a P pump and the newer 24v before they ever come even with my window (commuting in the dark AM). I get to look at a lot of undercarriage too......

Sigh, I miss driving a truck, but not the FUEL BILL!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Ankle holsters might be OK for A B.U.G. but it would be hard to get to on the sly as it would be VERY obvious to anyone in the area if you needed to draw your weapon.

Different strokes though........
OK, forgive me for not knowing the Lingo, but I think a BUG is a Back Up Gun correct?

The reasons I was leaning to a ankle holster is I do not have a law enforcement background, so unless I see myself or someone else in life-threatening danger I would not draw my gun anyway. They teach us here in the CC training to only draw in a life threatening situation - IE if someone is robbing a liquor store, let them do it as long as no one gets shot etc. Don't go jerkin your weapon during situations that would not warrant it.

I say that to say I hope to never have to pull my gun, but maybe I should re-consider the IWB solution. Problem is Momma is a good cook, so I have some fat around the mid-section that might not like that idea.

Did I totally miss the point my instructor was saying above?

Quick Reply: Concealed Carry Holsters for Glock