Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Concealed Carry Gun

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Concealed Carry Gun

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=20143;start=0#msg189317 date=1064526189]
They'll start around $1000-$1300 and go up from there...depending on what you get.
[/quote]

Maybe the high end custom jobbers. I can get a Springfield 5" Custom Loaded, (extended beavertail, trigger job, etc.) brand new for under 800. For a Micro Compact, like the pic I have attached, I can get one for 500 here. In fact, I can get a Dan Wesson Patriot Marksman or Expert for around 800 as well. But, for concealed carry, I think the Micro compact would suit you best if you were going with a 1911, or maybe a Para Ordinance small frame.

Take a look at this beauty
Old 09-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I was just guessing. I've never priced them. ;D
Old 09-25-2003, 05:12 PM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a good looking weapon.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Check www.thehighroad.org for some sweet deals on gently used shootin' irons.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing sometimes how these topics seem to pop up just when I have a particular question in mind. Our state legislature just overrode the governor's veto of CC, so I'm thinking about getting a permit once they figure out all the details of how it's going to work. Anyway, this is good info for me to go out looking and get a few of these suggested weapons in my hands and see what seems to fit.

A related question, how is everyone carrying these? Jackets are out in the summertime in this area. Fannypack? Just strap it on your hip like in a cowboy movie (not very concealed in that case )?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Taurus PT-111 in Alessi Talon IWB
or
Taurus PT-92AF in Desantis Pancake.

Looking for a Colt Commander
Old 09-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Shoulder holster, small of back holster, hi ride hip holster, ankle holster or fanny pack. Just depends on the situation, and the size of the weapon I choose for that day.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Reily Gilmore Shoulder Holster that can be also worn as a small of back holster, or an OWB holster. Also, a Bianchi Accu-Mold belt slide. Looking for a good IWB (inside the wasteband) holster right now.

IMO, the fannypacks are a bad idea this day in age. The little cheap clip that fastens it to your waist can be undone by someone fairly easy. But, the biggest problem I have with them is that almost everyone has come to realize the only person wearing a fanny pack nowadays is packing.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:04 PM

Monty! Another XD Man! I recently got an XD-40 too, but I've been packing it around in a fanny pack. I'd rather have an IWB holster, but do you really think you could conceal this gun with an IWB or OWB? I like to wear t-shirts a lot, and for me it seems like it's impossible to conceal this gun with an IWB or OWB without wearing a coat.

I got a fanny pack at a gun show this summer that is locally made. It looks NOTHING like the standard carry packs. For one, it's not black! It's forest green and has some little logo on it that makes it look like I'm a tree hugger on my way to the Saturday Market to buy some hemp jewelry and some incense! Works pretty well.

By the way, my XD is also the most accurate handgun I've ever owned.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Redneck, it is possible.

Here is a pic of the Comp-Tach IWB CTAC holster. As you can see, your shirt is easily tucked over the gun.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Administrator

With shirt tucked
Old 09-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll vouch for Comp-Tac. That's how I carry mine all the time and it works great. They've got great customer service too...and they're very quick to get your holster to you when you order it. Highly recommended...and I have no affiliation with them other than being a happy customer.

www.comp-tac.com
Old 09-25-2003, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Hoss, have you had any problems with the Kydex material and your guns finish? That is the only thing I dont like about them. I am afraid that over time the hard plastic kydex material will cause premature wear on the finish. This is why I only have leather holsters
Old 09-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a PPK .380 for my carry weapon, mainly due to it's impressive concealability.
In a pinch, I can just put in my pants pocket.
I have a shoulder holster and a small of back holster for it.
Shoulder holster takes some getting used to, can't seem to make it fit like they do on TV.

I'd love to be able to carry my .357, but as it is built on a 44mag frame, that isn't likely except maybe in the dead of winter, under a bulky coat.
But take the coat off and you've voided your CCW permit.

For now, it is my in the truck weapon.

I'd love to get a small frame .357 or .38 special for my carry weapon, as said before, revolvers are point and shoot, and don't usually jam or misfire.

I wear shorts and tshirts 24/7/365, even in the dead of winter, so a small gun is a must.

Finances allowing, someday.

phox
Old 09-25-2003, 10:10 PM

I'm with Phox on size being a significant criteria. I carry a Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 but for happy shooting I love my USP.

Quick Reply: Concealed Carry Gun