Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Concealed Carry Gun

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concealed Carry Gun

Getting ready to make another gun purchase this time for a concealed carry gun and just wondering what those of you that carry are using? I currently have a Ruger P89 but it is just too big to carry discreetly. I wheel around in a wheelchair (hence the name ) so I need something easy to carry on my side under a vest or shirt. I am looking for a wheelgun probably 357 or 44 spl. Just wondering what you guys that carry are using and what you think is the best option as far as caliber and frame size.

Keith
Old 09-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re:Concealed Carry Gun

Keith,
As a Gunsmith I see many different types of "carry" guns throughout the year and carry an assortment of weapons myself.

One of my favorites is the Stainless Steel "Magnum Carry" 2 in .357 magnum Colt Detective Special. It packs plenty of punch and you can shoot .38s through it for practice, saving a few dollars on ammo.

The new midsize autos are nice too, in .40s&w or .45. I carry a full size Colt National Match .45 when the mood strikes me.

The .357 is renown for it's one shot stopping power, being near the top of the list, only bested by the .45,. These statistics have been kept by Law Enforcement over the years so some of the newer calibers don't have a fair rating yet.

One of the lowest on the list is the 9mm, the problem being the bullet is so fast it merely "punches holes" exiting before maximum damage can be inflicted. This is helped considerably by using a "subsonic" load to help slow the bullet down.

I think for concealment and reliable handling, a revolver is the gun of choice for personal defense. The autos being fantastic pistols, can under different circumstances, jam or otherwise fail to function. Not likely in most cases, but in the confusing moments when a gun is needed, the revolver is a point and fire weapon.

Look at the all major manufacturers, and keep price as a secondary criteria, remember you get what you pay for

If I can be of any further assistance in answering questions, feel free to PM me anytime.

Lary
Old 09-25-2003, 03:21 PM
JKE

I second Tops advice. He is more of an expert than I am.

I like the .40 S&W.

Favorite is the Sig .45

Happy shopping ;D
Old 09-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, nothing less than a 40 for concealed carry. Carrying a Springfield XD 40 right now. Any handgun can be concealed, just some easier than others. I have seen alot of guys run a 1911 concealed IWB or SOB. My next handgun will be a 1911 Dan Wesson Patriot. Or possibly a Springfield Micro Compact SS. 1911.

Shop around, there are many out there, as Lary said, dont pass up looking at the wheelguns.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you said you want a revolver, but I carry a Glock 30 daily and love it. With that said though, if I were buying a new CC gun it would probably be a Glock 23. Slimmer profile than the 30 and 10+1 rounds of .40 S&W.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:09 PM
JKE

Glock is nice.....I prefer the steal...Sigs are very reliable weapons. Depends on how it fits you. Good shooting gun.

You guys are getting into some $$$ with the 1911's aren't you?
Old 09-25-2003, 04:10 PM

Only the frame is poly....and a Glock can be had for about $100 to $200 cheaper than a Sig. Not saying there's anything wrong with Sigs...but I don't consider them any better than Glocks.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Glock.......what is a Glock ??? :P

Very good guns, but not for me.

Oh yeah, Hoss, that PT is gone. ;D

Old 09-25-2003, 04:16 PM

I hate to say I told you so, BUT.....

What happened?? You just decide you didn't like it??
Old 09-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Never a problem with it. I messed up and shot a USP, Glock 35, and an XD. All great guns, but I shot the best with the XD, a heckuva lot better actually than any I tried out or my PT. USP would have been my second choice, Glock shot okay but just didnt feel right in my hand. The bug bit me and I had to get one. ;D
Old 09-25-2003, 04:25 PM
JKE

Fair enough .
Old 09-25-2003, 04:28 PM

[quote author=Monty(OkieBroncRider) link=board=10;threadid=20143;start=0#msg189293 date=1064524801]
Never a problem with it. I messed up and shot a USP, Glock 35, and an XD. All great guns, but I shot the best with the XD, a heckuva lot better actually than any I tried out or my PT. USP would have been my second choice, Glock shot okay but just didnt feel right in my hand. The bug bit me and I had to get one. ;D
[/quote]

I understand completely. ;D Glocks just don't fit some people's hands...and other people just don't like them. They're certainly not for everyone...but then again what is?

Happy shooting.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:38 PM
JKE

so, how much for the 1911's? New.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:43 PM

They'll start around $1000-$1300 and go up from there...depending on what you get.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm gonna speak up for the revolver, too. Revolvers are great because they're so simple. Pull the trigger and they go bang. No safeties to mess with, no mag to fall out, no jamming. If it doesn't go bang the first time, just pull the trigger again, no tap, rack, bang nonsense. You can't get a .40 cal pistol that is as small as a J-frame S&W in .357. I'm partial to steel small frame snubbies in .357 Mag. I like S&W, models 60, 640, and 649 are good choices, but look at the Ruger SP101 as well. My brother has an SP101 that he's very happy with. The S&W is a nicer looking gun up close, but they're both reliable and the Ruger is about 25% cheaper. I've had two Taurus revolvers, a 605 (small frame .357) that was an unreliable POS, and a 617 ("compact" but a little too bulky) that was not 100% reliable either. I'm only willing to trust my life to a gun I trust 100%, so I will not be buying another Taurus revolver. I don't think the ultralight .357's are a good idea because nobody wants to practice with them because they kick so hard. If you don't practice with it, you shouldn't carry it, IMO. I've now got an S&W 649 that I carry daily and I love it. The 649 is a .357 Mag 5 shot stainless steel gun with a 2 1/8" barrel. The hammer is shrouded so it won't snag, but it is still available for single action shots. I got it used, and the previous owner had it Magna-ported and had a sweet action job done on it, but it would be a nice gun even without these improvements. I think a Hogue grip is a must, the Uncle Mike grips that S&W puts on the steel guns aren't very comfortable. I have a bantam grip on mine because I carry inside the waistband or in an ankle holster, and the full length grip pokes out too much. To sum up, IMO a steel small frame snubby .357 is the best if you have to conceal without a cover-up garment like a sport coat.

Quick Reply: Concealed Carry Gun