Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Concealed Carry

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Tire Hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concealed Carry

Well, on Tuesday I took the first step. I picked me up a Taurus PT92, signed up for the class on the first. When I told a few close friends of mine, it turns out that alot of them concealed carry, and I had no clue what so ever. It's like a secret sorority... like in "Eyes Wide Shut" but not nearly as exciting. Just wondered how many fellow DTR members concealed carry? I plan on picking up a Springfield XD 3" when I actually get my CHL. The guy at the gun store was amazed, my background check was the fastest of any he's ever done in 20-some years. He literally walked to his office, and was back saying "Well, you're not a felon... whatcha want." less than 60 seconds later. I hope the actual licence is on the low-side of the waiting period.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Are Tarus' built better now than they used to be? They used to be questionable.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Tire Hater

I have no clue, this is the first gun I call my own. I can tell you my friend's dad was impressed with it, and he's a rabbid gun collector/hunter.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Banned

Tarus' are either good or bad, and I know that sounds stupid but every weapon off their assembly line is different. There is no quality control on them. I have had them that will fire all day without a single jam and on the other side of the fence I have had them that I have had to send back for warranty work several times, most of those I have given up on and sold off after they were fixed. For the money though they are worth the risk as a play toy. At the same time I would never want to bet my life on one.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
My Taurus 92 has digested everything that I put in the magazine without a hiccup.
Probably nearing 1,000 rnds.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Concealed Carry

Originally posted by John_Rodriguez
Just wondered how many fellow DTR members concealed carry?
I do...every day. "Tactical tupperware".

I've owned one Taurus semi-auto (a PT-145) and it was the last one I'll own. That doesn't mean they're bad...but after that one I won't buy another one. There was several times during it's brief time in my life that I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. If I can't rely on it to go bang every time I pull the trigger then I don't want it. I want my "tap, rack and bang" sessions to be for practice only.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I've found this is much lighter than my 92 & disappears under any kind of shirt.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Concealed carry here, the only way to go

My favorite carry piece is Ms sweetie pie, Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 45 in stainless with Hogue grips.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/im...9161LLarge.jpg

Then there's the next favorite one which is a Para Ordnance Warthog 45.
Then there's the next favorite one which is the Para Ordnance Carry 12 45 in stainless.
Then there's the, well, you get the picture.
Here are a few that I may carry at any one time:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/532/page/1

I have several Taurus semi autos (8 all together) and have only had minor trouble with one. Sent it back and they fixed it right away. The Taurus Millenium Pro series is a fair carry weapon, small but they have a long trigger pull.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That's what I carry. John, have you thought about how you're going to conceal a PT-92 in the summer in TX? It's hard to beat a J-frame revolver in .357 mag. for concealment and power. I have a Kel-Tec P3AT that I carry sometimes (smaller and lighter), but I just feel better with the revolver. Guys who don't get a lot of range time ought to carry revolvers IMO. It takes a lot of practice for the "tap-rack-bang" malfunction drill to become second nature.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:58 PM

John, I never realized you were a Texan. A forum that you might want to think about joining is the Texas CHL Forum. It's a fairly new website so it doesn't have just a whole lot of activity yet, but it's still a good resource if you have questions or just want to chat with fellow CHL holders.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
Guys who don't get a lot of range time ought to carry revolvers IMO. It takes a lot of practice for the "tap-rack-bang" malfunction drill to become second nature.
You bring up a good point. Malfunction drills and reloading drills are an absolute must in my opinion...as are strong arm disabled drills. I highly recommend that anyone who carries get some formal training from a good school. One I recently attended was S.W.A.T, but they are a bit of a drive from Laredo. There are lots of other good schools in Texas though. You really should look into them if you plan to carry.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:17 PM

I carry a S&W 4506.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM

I carry my Glock 22 40cal if I'm wearing some cut offs or trunks with a pocket & no shirt I'll slip my Kel Tec p32 in a pocket.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:00 PM

HK USP compact .40 here
Old 04-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my current concealed carry, Walther PPKS, 7 in the magazine, 1 in the pipe.

Someday I want to get a comparatively sized revolver with more punch than the .380 ACP.

Too bad this isn't concealable

Taurus .357 magnum

phox

Quick Reply: Concealed Carry