Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

computer help PLEASE home page problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
computer help PLEASE home page problem

for several months a web browser called search v the page is searchv.com I have deleted it off cookies history homepage and everywhere I can think of and it still comes up as my homepage only if I shut the computer all the way off. I have set other homepages then in internet tools I have applied it then ok tab then I delete all records and files of searchv.com and I even delete all cookies and history just to make sure. then I shut dwn the 'puter and wait then turn back on and reboot and click on internet and searchv.com pops up I finally gave up and just deal with it. if I set a new homepage and dont shut down just hibernate and come back to internet later and the homepage I set is still there. I have an ad blocker software installed because I used to get the spy ware pop ups even when I was not on the web. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:45 AM

Sounds like you still have a spy ware problem.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:54 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
look into the software menu on the sytem setup panel- maybe you've got a program installed that will make your computer act like this- look for search or enhancer in the list of installed software.

AlpineRAM
Old 03-11-2004, 09:05 AM

Just making sure, but you did goto Tool > Internet Options > and then set the homepage there, right?

If that didn't work goto lavasoftusa.com and download the free Ad-Aware 6.0 and the latest reference files. It's free. That should fix it right up for you if it's a spyware problem.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:16 AM

You're going to have to do a registry hack and find msoffice.hta.

Click Start, Run, then type Regedit.

Press Ctrl-F then type in msoffice.hta

Delete the entry on the right column when it's found.

Close Regedit.

Warning -- Editing the registry can be a tricky business and if you delete the wrong thing, Windows won't work. Make sure you have good backups before monkeying around in the registry.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:43 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Download the free Spybot Search and Destroy program here;http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

It finds some things that Ad Aware does not find. You will probably find you have multiple spy wares on your system, this will help you get rid of them.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:00 AM

From what I've been reading, the standard tools (SpyBot, Adaware, etc.) aren't totally cleaning this one. The [censored] developers of this little nasty outdid themselves.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:02 AM

What Top said, I'm a network administrator in charge of over 200 systems, we use the Spybot program, it works well and it free But we do donate! Good guys there helping everyone out just like here.

Do this ASAP spyware+spyware+spyware+etc = computer failure. not fun.

Don't edit the registry if you don't know what you are doing. Can be fatal.

Spybot searches your regestry for you.

Good luck
Old 03-11-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
On the windows PCs of my customers I do also use the TuneUp Utilities (can be found at tucows.com, shareware). At home there is no more windows (tm)

AlpineRAM
Old 03-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[i]At home there is no more windows (tm)

AlpineRAM [/B]

Thanks for the (tm), we don't want Bill Gates suing Jack for improper use of the word "windows"

You can also go this route Windows™ (ALT+0153) or ® (ALT+0174)
or even © (ALT+0169)

phox
Old 03-11-2004, 07:56 PM

Jaconst, I'm curious what OS you're using. There's been lots of good advice already given (be careful in the registry); and if none of that works, you can always fdisk and rebuild it.

I've had great success with XP Pro on a couple of machines here, but have also had some problems with it on the kids machines. I ended up reinstalling W2K Pro on two of those. I couldn't rid the system of some programs, couldn't find where they were controlled from either - they would always resurface after an apparent cleansing and restart. W2K Pro seems to be much more resistant to certain bugs than XP.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:35 PM

Had the same problem but worse, as last resort I went to system restore back to a point before all the problems started (Win XP)
. I then made sure my firewall was turn on, it was not, one of those nasty little programs had turned it off, and then went to Windows update and downloaded all the critical security updates they recommended, haven't had any problems since. I would not delete anything from your registry unless you are sure you know what will happen, could be real bad.I have 2 spyware programs and they would not detect the bugs. I found several attached to other programs, but they are self feeding and hard to find........ Good Luck...........
Old 03-11-2004, 09:33 PM

Im starting to think we need a thread JUST for computer problems...