Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer Help (Internet connection)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Computer Help (Internet connection)

Heres the deal, my son was given a computer from my Mom. It was an older (2003) office computer that they outgrew. I personally used this computer since it was new up until a little over a year ago.

Long story (hours and hours) short, I cannot for the life of me get this thing to connect to my internet here at the house.
It recognized the router right away (little icon saying "connected 100MBPS) but will NOT bring up a single site.

I have tried creating a home network, changed a million settings, and even did a system restore back to the beginning of December. I only did this because I have fooled with it so much I had my self convinced it must have been something I did.
My wife can bring her laptop home from work and WHAM, connected, goes anywhere you want it to. This thing.........................
Any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
P.J
Banned

What I'm getting at is, if it is showing me the connection to the router (cable modem) and show the IP

WHY WON'T IT WORK??????
Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Phil I would help you but most likely you would take a hammer to the machine after about 10 minutes of my help....

Me and home networks just don't seem to get along very well

But you have my complete sympathy and best wishes for a speedy resolve to your problem
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
P.J
Banned

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I have been so fortunate with this one I use for work here at the house, I don't know why I thought they would play nice together.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You said that the computer came from a company, did they have the internet blocked on it? If so, unless you know the root password, you'll probably have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:06 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by DynoDynamicsNE
You said that the computer came from a company, did they have the internet blocked on it? If so, unless you know the root password, you'll probably have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall.
Well, it came from a small (family) business. I took it with me through two Real Estate offices and then eventually her home office.

I remember it popping right up, never missed a beat the last time we changed connections.

I'm not apposed to re-formatting, I just have so much decent stuff on there (as most of us do, huh?)

Any generic ideas for a computer than instantly tells you it knows it is connected via LAN but won't bring up the web?

(ON EDIT) To answer your question, NO, the internet was not blocked. This I know from endless hours fooling around on this very site.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:12 PM
P.J
Banned

Something else curious (and annoying) is that when I look at the LAN connection status it says:

Activity

Sent:

Packets 220 (and goes up every once in a while).

Where is it sending??Why won't it receive?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I'm not apposed to re-formatting, I just have so much decent stuff on there (as most of us do, huh?)
I'm guilty of that too...

Originally Posted by P.J
Any generic ideas for a computer than instantly tells you it knows it is connected via LAN but won't bring up the web?
Does the web browser not come up, or is it an error page saying that it can't connect to the site? The former could mean that something corrupted the browser, and the latter... well I guess you know about that.

Originally Posted by P.J
(ON EDIT) To answer your question, NO, the internet was not blocked. This I know from endless hours fooling around on this very site.
...and not getting any work done.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to install the Internet Service Provider software to get mine going.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 PM

The computer sends out small packets every now and then. But if it isn't receiving any, that could mean that your network card is bad. Though if you have an IP address, then that most likely isn't the case.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM

You might try ringing up your internet service provider and going through the checklist with them. I fought mine for a couple of weeks only to find out that my cable modem was shot. I had something like 94% packet lost on my modem. But your modem sounds like it's working ok if your other computer can "talk" to it. One other thing, and this sounds crazy, but one guy told me when I reboot the modem or router that the modem sound be rebooted first and then the router. I have no idea what that does, but when I was having all this trouble I was asking everyone. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Hotazdiesel
You might try ringing up your internet service provider and going through the checklist with them.
This is the common sense approach.

I will probably just do that in the morning.

It's aggravating.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Clunk
I had to install the Internet Service Provider software to get mine going.
I have a Cable connection (5MBPS) It's close to the best there is, or at least by the looks of my monthly bill it BETTER be!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:55 PM

If you reboot everything and it still isn't connected, it sounds like you have a bad NIC (network interface card). I work for a computer consulting company and that is a common problem especially if it's an older computer.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried rebooting the router with the new computer connected?

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Computer Help (Internet connection)