Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:Computer gurus.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=18290;start=0#msg171630 date=1060718002]
Ditto that. We've got about 180 Dell desktops at my jobsite and all have been basically trouble free.
[/quote]

Hoss,
Would it be safe to assume that you have nothing to do with the maintenance on the PCs at your jobsite (since they all seem to be working just fine)? :P
Old 08-12-2003, 04:42 PM

Yes. Yes it would. ;D
Old 08-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Chapter President

the patch seems to have fixed mine too...jeezz the things people do to mess other people up
Old 08-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting really sick of this computer crap. I just spent four hours on the phone with some idiots that get paid to fix the problems of other sick idiots that create this crap, all at my expense. And on top of that, I had to order a virus program for 50 bucks that more than likely won't stop the next one that comes out.
For those of you that downloaded the patch, she said that the patch is only temporary and that you must order the / a virus program of some sorts to get the virus off the computer or it will get even worse.
I would like about 30 minutes in an open field with the people that are sick enough to sit around and think up this stuff. Ain't going to take much more and I'm going to turn this machine into a $1500 word processor and checking account tracker. I lived without the internet a lot of years and I can do without it a lot more I'm sure. I have no patience for this stuff at all.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:49 PM

Well...I checked into it and it turns out that I have Windows ME on my puter and there is no patch available. I don't know if that's good or bad. However, I feel pretty protected. I've got the latest upgrades from Norton and I just installed a Zone Alarm firewall. I guess that will help...but who knows.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:07 PM

This is the Microsoft Blaster worm. There are several different version but most all are cleaned the same.

This infects your computer through a Microsoft security hole that you need to patch.

Some manual fixs are:
1. Do a ctrl + alt + delete when in windows and choose the Task Manager then choose the process tab. Look for msblaster.exe running and click on it once to highlight. Choose End Process to stop the worm temporarly.
2. Open up a search or find window via the start button. Search for the following exactly msblaster*.* and search the C:. If any files are found delete them by highlighting and pressing the delete key.
3. Then go to the MS Update site to get the patch that will permantly fix the problem for your version of Operating System.
4. Get either a personnel firewall software for those dial up users or a Linksys firewall (router) for high speed users that will block this type of attack forever!

I run a network engineering department and these are the steps to take. Hope this helps! Srigs ;D
Old 08-12-2003, 10:18 PM

This infects your computer through a Microsoft security hole that you need to patch.
Maybe you didn't hear me....there is NOT a patch for those running Windows ME...like myself. Does that mean I'm safe from this blaster plaster thing?

By the way...it's NOT on my puter at home.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:36 PM

Hoss,

Try running the Windows 98 patch because ME is nothing more than a new face with same guts. Also get your IT guys to get you on a real operating system that is supported. Otherwise your Zone Alarm firewall will work for you.

Note: These Microsoft patches have been avaliable for about a month.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:56 PM

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=18290;start=15#msg171825 date=1060744709]
Maybe you didn't hear me....there is NOT a patch for those running Windows ME...like myself. Does that mean I'm safe from this blaster plaster thing?

By the way...it's NOT on my puter at home.
[/quote]

Yes. In this particular case, this worm doesn't affect you. The worm is using a security hole in the Microsoft RPC server. 95, 98 and ME don't have a RPC server.

So your are not effected by the worm since your older OS doesn't have the software that has the flaw.

While I don't have experience with "personal" firewall, they should still protect you.

How this works is this... (for all you technical people, please forgive me. I find using non-technical terms helps non-technical people understand)

Think of your computer as a building with many doors to access it. Each door has someone listening. When someone wants to connect to your computer they go to a particular door they want and ask for a connection.

With this worm, there is a flaw with one of the people behind one of the doors (the RPC door.) When a hacker comes knocking, it feed the RPC guy a load of crap that causes him to crash.

Now a firewall is like a gatekeeper. The gatekeeper is someone that is in front of the building that lets people in (and out.) Most firewalls will allow anyone out, but very few people in. By doing this it protects the doors by not letting anyone knock on them.

OK... Like I said... if you’re a really technical guys... sorry for the PC/Building analogy. If you not... I hope that made more sense then talking about ports and services.

-Tom
Old 08-13-2003, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of ME that are computer illiterate, that helps a lot. Thanks very much.
DD4X4
Old 08-13-2003, 08:49 AM

[quote author=Srigs link=board=10;threadid=18290;start=15#msg171829 date=1060745788]
Hoss,

Try running the Windows 98 patch because ME is nothing more than a new face with same guts. Also get your IT guys to get you on a real operating system that is supported. Otherwise your Zone Alarm firewall will work for you.

Note: These Microsoft patches have been avaliable for about a month.
[/quote]

Windows ME is on my HOME computer...which is not infected with anything at the moment except for Windows ME itself. I've been meaning to update to XP but just haven't done it. I have Windows Version 5.0 at work...whatever that is.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:55 AM

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=10;threadid=18290;start=15#msg171884 date=1060772347]
For those of ME that are computer illiterate, that helps a lot. Thanks very much.
DD4X4
[/quote]

I might not be one of those "technical people", but I'm not completely computer illiterate either. : Don't know if I should feel enlightened or insulted.

What I DIDN'T realize was just HOW OFTEN people come knocking on the doors. In the hour I was online after installing ZoneAlarm it blocked 92 attempted intrustions....18 of which were considered "high rated"....meaning they were likely hacker attempts. I feel so violated. :
Old 08-13-2003, 09:01 AM

Windows Ver 5 is Windows 2000.

For those of you not running any type of firewall on your home computers, you should seriously consider it. There are many freeware/shareware programs out there that run unobtrusively. I've been running Zone Alarm's version on my home network for a long time with my dial-up and like it.

If you're running DSL, cable modem, or other high speed connection at home, I would consider it mandatory to invest in a hardware firewall.

If you're running a highspeed wireless network at home, you should take steps to ensure that your neighbors aren't borrowing your BW. Its happened ......