Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Come and get it before I throw it out breakroom for May 20 - 26

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Come and get it before I throw it out breakroom for May 20 - 26

COME ONE, COME ALL - - ENJOY THE TREATS.

FRESH COFFEE
FRESH PH00
FRESH CIMMAMUM BUNS
HOT WATER FOR TEA FOR CLAUDE
CLEANED UP AND PURDY SURROUNDINGS
GOOD CONVERSATION
LOT'S OF BALONEY FOR SANDWICHES

Now, get out of bed - - it's Sunday and time for church.

Bob
Old 05-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Morning Bob. How's the back?

SUNDAY, MAY 20th:

1506 - In Spain, Christopher Columbus died in poverty.

1775 - North Carolina became the first colony to declare its independence.

1861 - North Carolina became the eleventh state to secede from the Union.

1861 - During the American Civil War, the capital of the Confederacy was moved from Montgomery, AL, to Richmond, VA.

1874 - Levi Strauss began marketing blue jeans with copper rivets.

1916 - Norman Rockwell’s first cover on "The Saturday Evening Post" appeared.

1926 - The U.S. Congress passed the Air Commerce Act. The act gave the Department of Commerce the right to license pilots and planes.

1927 - Charles Lindbergh took off from New York to cross the Atlantic for Paris aboard his airplane the "Spirit of St. Louis." The trip took 33 1/2 hours.

1932 - Amelia Earhart took off to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. She became the first woman to achieve the feat.

1939 - The first telecast over telephone wires was sent from Madison Square Garden to the NBC-TV studios at 30 Rockefeller Center in Manhattan. The event was a bicycle race.

1941 - Germany invaded Crete by air.

1942 - Japan completed the conquest of Burma.

1961 - A white mob attacked the Freedom Riders in Montgomery, AL. The event prompted the federal government to send U.S. marshals.

1969 - U.S. and South Vietnamese forces captured Apbia Mountain, which was referred to as Hamburger Hill.

1970 - 100,000 people marched in New York supporting U.S. policies in Vietnam.

1978 - Mavis Hutchinson, at age 53, became the first woman to run across America. It took Hutchinson 69 days to run the 3,000 miles. Madhat take note!

1980 - The submarine Nautilus was designated as a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior.

1982 - TV’s "Barney Miller" was seen for the last time on ABC-TV.

1985 - The Dow Jones industrial average broke the 1300 mark for the first time. The Dow closed at 1304.88.

1985 - The FBI arrested U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer John Walker. Walker had begun spying for the Soviet Union in 1968.

1996 - The U.S. Supreme Court struck down a Colorado measure banning laws that would protect homosexuals from discrimination.

1999 - At Heritage High School in Conyers, GA, a 15-year-old student shot and injured six students. He then surrendered to an assistant principal at the school.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
A new study found that only 20 percent of high school seniors are proficient in geography. Students weren't really bothered by that number because only 3 percent of them are proficient in math.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Morning all. This is going to be a great day. The weather forecast changed and it is going to be warm and sunny with a nice view of the solar eclipse. My sister, her hubby and their two little angels are coming out for pub nite. That involves wings, nachos, ginger beef and veggies. Last weekend was sis' birthday but she was super busy so they are coming out to spend the night and belatedly celebrate her b'day, Mother's Day and Auntie's Day (that is for my wife, since we don't have kids). Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, all before my morning coffee?

Took the dog out and saw a lot of standing water. Didn't have any rain and rain the sprinklers last night. Shouldn't be that much water there. Conclusion - a sprinkler pipe rupture somewhere and it was bubbling out of the ground. Great. Go to the irrigation valves to shut them off but they're buried in built up soil. Go inside to change out of my pajamas and grab my phone. We were suppose to have a pallet of rocks delivered this morning so I'm waiting for their call. Head outside with the spade and dig it out. Find the valves, and they're tight rusted so PB Blast them. The phone rings and it's Lowes. They can't deliver today because they don't have a driver for the truck or forklift. That would have been helpful to know yesterday when we were scheduling delivery. Hem haw about the ways to do it and ultimately decide to push back to Thursday morning. Did I mention DH flies out this afternoon for a work trip? We just need to lay the rock to finish the flower bed we worked on yesterday. That's it. Poor the rock. UHGGG! I get off the phone, grab a pipe wrench, go get the valves turned off. I take a quick peek at the flood spot and the water subsided. Good. I'm going inside to have my first cup of coffee.

Here I am, still on the first cup. Taking my sweet time because I don't feel like digging up and repairing the stupid sprinkler line. I think I'll warm up some of the fajiters I grilled up yesterday for dinner. That will give me some energy and let me procrastinate a little longer.

Did I mention it is getting hot here during the days?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
Are we having fun yet?
Well, there are better things I wish I was doing.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Day's 1/2 shot.
Made waffles and bacon for breakfast.
Finished servicing the trailer bearings and replacing the inner grease seals in prep for Memorial day weekend's road trip.
Heading to one of wifey's relatives for a 'pay as you go' fundraiser cookout in about an hour.
I could stay home, burn burgers and drink beer for CHEAP!, but Noooooooo.

Have a great rest of the weekend.
B safe
Old 05-20-2012, 12:52 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hah, looks like we all have the same kinda juju today.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Morning Bob. How's the back?
Hey Scott - - thanks for asking. It is for the birds - - OUCH it hurts. Can be fine, then suddenly I turn just a bit and hit the floor. Made it thru my class this morning and hit the front chair just to get off the LEGGS and stretch. Guess I am going to have to remember I am no longer 39 and limit my working day to 9 hours hard labor instead of 11, especially if it is 4 days consecutive.....

Great morning in church with the kids doing the neatest presentation on the life of Christ. They did great with everything memorized - - man that is better than I can do. Good lunch with a pretty blonde - - now if my back didn't hurt I could say life is good. Well, yeh, it still is. .............

Bob
Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
1978 - Mavis Hutchinson, at age 53, became the first woman to run across America. It took Hutchinson 69 days to run the 3,000 miles. Madhat take note!
I don't think that will be one of the choices on my bucket list...

Afternoon.

Had a minor four wheeler wreck last weekend, I'm healing up from that. Just some bruises.

Bob, sorry you are having back troubles. Feel better buddy.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
MmmmMMmmmmmm...... Fresh Coffee....

I figure these fellows were just waiting around the corner for the delivery...

Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by westcoaster
MmmmMMmmmmmm...... Fresh Coffee....

I figure these fellows were just waiting around the corner for the delivery...

LUV IT. Boy that brings back memories. Driving thru the Canuck country, DW sees a Tim Horton in this little town on a two lane road with parallel parking down main street - - Oh honey, there is a TH - - PLEASE stop. Duh - where? I am 58 feet long and the streets are loaded, I have no idea what is down the side streets or if they are dead end. What a riot. She could not pass up a Horton no matter where we were or what the circumstances were. Of course, highly talented Big Daddy attempted to be very creative and find ways to make her happy. Sure wish they were down here in Florida.

Bob
Old 05-20-2012, 05:21 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
LUV IT. Boy that brings back memories. Driving thru the Canuck country, DW sees a Tim Horton in this little town on a two lane road with parallel parking down main street - - Oh honey, there is a TH - - PLEASE stop. Duh - where? I am 58 feet long and the streets are loaded, I have no idea what is down the side streets or if they are dead end. What a riot. She could not pass up a Horton no matter where we were or what the circumstances were. Of course, highly talented Big Daddy attempted to be very creative and find ways to make her happy. Sure wish they were down here in Florida.

Bob
just do like the truckers do here... Hit the hazard lights and stop...
Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
DTR Mom

wow, beautiful weather here, one degree warmer than Dallas- yeah, we had to call the sis in law...

did a million projects, rode the bikes with da son, attended a gov seizure auction when very view others did...(bad guys do have a lot of good stuff)
hubby's b day is tuesday so did some secret planning...

tired, Shorts let's load up those Margaritas...it's hot tub time here and I may be alseep by nine...

everyone feel better- good week ahead!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 AM

My 6th sence tells me that donuts are good in there

Around here it´s Monday, fantastic weather 20-25*c all week, and I´m starting the week sick, not sure what I ate, but it must have been bad...
Yeah life´s good, at least it´s nice to know that I´ve got room for improvement
Coffee is on, I spiffed it up a little, so if anybody is driving, don´t drink it...
Donuts should be here somewhere, but I can´t see´em right now, that´s how good that coffee is.

Slev
Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Morning.

MONDAY, MAY 21st:

1832 - In the U.S., the Democratic Party held its first national convention.

1856 - Lawrence, Kansas was captured by pro-slavery forces.

1863 - The siege of the Confederate Port Hudson, LA, began.

1881 - The American branch of the Red Cross was founded by Clara Barton.

1927 - Charles A. Lindberg completed the first solo nonstop airplane flight across the Atlantic Ocean. The trip began May 20.

1934 - Oskaloosa, IA, became the first city in the U.S. to fingerprint all of its citizens.

1941 - The first U.S. ship, the SS Robin Moor, was sunk by a U-boat.

1956 - The U.S. exploded the first airborne hydrogen bomb in the Pacific Ocean over Bikini Atoll.

1961 - Governor Patterson declared martial law in Montgomery, AL.

1968 - The nuclear-powered U.S. submarine Scorpion, with 99 men aboard, was last heard from. The remains of the sub were later found on the ocean floor 400 miles southwest of the Azores.

1970 - The National Guard was mobilized to quell disturbances at Ohio State University.

1982 - The British landed in the Falkland Islands and fighting began.

1998 - In Miami, FL, five abortion clinics were hit by an butyric acid-attacker.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Animals may be our friends, but they won’t pick you up at the airport.

Off to Massachusetts today. Yay.

Quick Reply: Come and get it before I throw it out breakroom for May 20 - 26