Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

College Roommates

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
College Roommates

I've been gone from my college house the entire summer. I just thought I'd share a few things with yall and see if it rings any bells.

I live in a house with my best friend and another roommate (who is a member of this site). For the past two or three days we've been involved in a cleaning process. We moved my best friend to a different room so my new roommate could move in. In the process, we found more crap, trash, and unmentionables than I could have ever imagined. I've seen homeless people live better than him. My new roommate cleaned the carpets (we both work for a carpet cleaning business) cause it was so horrible. It's no wonder my friend had such bad allergies. There was a 1/16" thick layer of dust over everything. It's pretty sad when you move furniture and it looks like someone spray painted the outline on the ground.

I cleaned the fridge out today. There was food in there from over a year ago. About 90% of the stuff in there was either expired or moldy. We have 3 bottles of squeeze jelly because they couldn't find the other ones through all of the crap. There are stains in there that full strength simple green couldn't get off. The freezer and pantry weren't that bad. Just a couple of odds and in's. Talking about the kitchen, there were dishes piled up in the sink that were there when I moved back home OVER 3 MONTHS AGO!!!

The garage is horrible. My old roommate was so lazy, that instead of walking an extra 10' to put the trash in the trash can, she'd leave it right inside the garage door (the garage is connected to the house). And my best friend is to lazy to pick up after her(it's his sis). So it sat in there for 3 months and now the garage reeks. It was so bad at one point, the pile was 6' high with a 3' base, so I'm told. There's enough empty and broken beer bottles to choke a mule. We paint in our garage (custom dashes and all) and there is a fine layer of paint dust over everything.

The yard is horrible. One of my friends ran over a sprinkler head right after I left and never repaired it. So the sprinklers haven't run all summer. The back yard hadn't been cut in 3 MONTHS!! My friend got a letter from the home owner's association about the yard so he cut the front and left the back for me.

I'm a neat freak by nature and this is driving me up the wall. I just thought I'd share with a yall a little bit of my life with my college roommates.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahhhh....the good ole' days.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

Well, since I've got the day off from work AGAIN tomorrow and probably thursday, I'm gonna tackle cleaning my friends crap up while he's in Alaska.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:02 AM

Man I'm going to miss those days,,, ENJOY THEM WHILE THEY LAST..
Old 08-04-2004, 12:45 AM

A guy once told me what he did w/ his kids when they were growing up...if they left a dirty plate somewhere it shouldn't be, he'd toss it onto the kid's bed and didn't care if it flipped over or anything. Cups half full of any kinda liquid...tossed on the bed. Then the kid couldn't possibly escape cleaning up the mess 'cause they had to sleep there. Sounds like that's something you might wanna try sometime!
Old 08-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Banned

I've threatened to do that. Think I might actually do it now.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:24 AM

ever watch full metel jacket? Try the old soap in the sock trick.
Or do it the homer way "can you swing a bag of door *****? Can I! Heres a bag, supply your own *****"
Old 08-04-2004, 07:02 AM

I dont have much tolerance for lazyness either. I would throw the trash bags in their bed, and leave it till they get back. fill thier room up, and put a towel under the door to keep the smell in. AHHHH,,,,,You know they are probly so ate up with it, that they wouldnt even get the picture. Just clean it up, evict them, and move on...lol.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Banned

LOL. I was gonna do that with his sis but she called her mom (who owns the house) and told on me. They came from a family where they have never had to work to clean up anything, always had a maid. And the women never touched the trash. It was always a man's job. I found a garbage sitting on the back lawn yesterday. God only knows how long it had been there. Don't know why it was there either.

Capt., if I did that, I'd be kicked out of the house.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:43 AM

Here's an idea: Have them get a maid instead of using you as one.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
A free piece of advice....

If this person is your "Best friend" by your definition, then perhaps you should consider taking the problem directly to your "best friend" instead of spreading the news that your friend is a slob, all over the internet.

I am not trying to be mean here, but think how you would feel if your "best friend" spread stuff around like that about you, instead of just confronting you with the issue, so that it could be worked out.

I don't think your intent is to slam your "best friend" publicly, but hopefully this will help you see that it might be taken that way, possibly causing you to damage that friendship.

One of the things we all do when we choose friends, is to ignore some of the less appealing natures of their character, while focusing on the good things we see in them.

Thats is as it should be, as we are all far from perfect. If you value that friendship, let that person know it, and be honest with him or her. Let them know what troubles you, so you can move beyond it and remain friends.

Good luck with your problem, and I hope you get it worked out without damaging the friendship.

Just my humble opinion, and not intended as a sermon or slam against you in any way.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:52 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well Said Top Pretty Smart for a NCO.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:02 AM

If this was my friend or I was "that friend" I would slam him publicly for a while then link him to the forum. Or expect to be slamed/linked But thats just the way we work. Were really nice to each other.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

One of the things we all do when we choose friends, is to ignore some of the less appealing natures of their character, while focusing on the good things we see in them.

hmmm a guy could really run with this line.

I can see Lil Top as a school kid. All his friends saying..."He's a really cool guy but he keeps blowing up our mailbox."

Later in life...

"Top sure is a nice friend to have. But we gotta be careful in his yard."

From your younger twin. Since we're family...I am stuck with me, I mean you.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 PM

Blue,,,,,,i got it! How about the old dead fish under thier bed trick? That would be excellent!

Quick Reply: College Roommates