Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

College Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working at a Farm Equipment dealer through high school and my first 18mo of College....which is also why I never finished my 2 years. Took a business trip to learn new products, and missed 1 of 5 presentations in my senior project class and they failed me. I don't think that's right, so

Chris
Old 05-25-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually have three jobs. I work 20 hours a week at the computer center on campus. I'm the student worker manager for the group that goes around campus fixing computers as well as taking on special projects that are computer related. The pay is really good for my position, and it is convenient during the semester.

I also cut grass, have been since the 3rd grade. Great pay, and Uncle Sam doesn't get his hand in my pocket.

I also work for a friend of mine that I go to school with. He has a home construction/repair business. I work for him when I am not doing any of the above. This is about the the best pay out of all of my jobs.

Due to the reasons above, I have a set of OEM fog lights, a replacement dash, and a set of gauges that are sitting in my room that have yet to be installed...
Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

for all of you who left college after 4 or less years, that is like leaving the party at 10 pm.... I stuck thru 7 years and just about as many majors.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

Like I said, my boss is a great guy and he did this stuff through highschool and college so he knows what it's like. If I wasn't paying $460 for rent, $100 for the cell phone, and $70/wk for gas I'd have a lot more money to play with but oh well. I still manage to put enough away to have some play money. Working these hours kills your personal life. I missed one of my good friends 21st birthday yest because I was so tired and had to be at work so early that I just couldn't go out. I haven't been out and enjoyed summer in 3 weeks. I hate working. I wish I could make money sitting on my butt drinking beer.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:24 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

mooched off my parents

just kidding... worked in a machine shop rebuilding motors the first 2 years and worked as a service manager at Saturn for the last 2. believe it or not.. Saturn was a great place to meet girls. i wasn't a car salesman so i didn't have that stigma.

graduated and the only thing i've used my diploma for is to hang on the wall.

britt

Old 05-26-2005, 11:19 AM

I drove a 50 ton offroad Dumptruck, the ones that have the tires that are taller than most people, for a mining company. Easy job and it paid 22 bucks an hour. The only downside was the chicks, or lack thereof. I guess there could have been women working there, but remember this was mining so they probably looked like the men and I couldnt tell the differance.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:16 PM

I cut tobacco my freshman year, then I cleaned stalls. The stall cleaning turned into a job working for a row crop farmer driving a grain truck and doing other farm things. Then I got a job at our Exposition Center where they have horse shows and motorcross and the like. I might be mopping one day and running a skid steer the next. There was always girls around and I worked with all of my good friends. In the summer though I went back home to the farm.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:50 PM

Agree with 4 years....

Well in 6 years of college it went like this. 5 years part time/full time working as an event and facilities supervisor for my college athletic department(best job i ever had and think I will ever have had), radio shack salesman, assistant manufacturing engineer(long story), drilled water wells, and also worked for an excavation compay too.... In that time I got a BS in Technology Education and about 1/3 of my masters in Technology Education. Now i'm going into law enforcement... go figure .

Mike
Old 05-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets see

Been workin since i started college at our local conservation district with the USDA/NRCS great job! i love it!! and i do anything from work cattle, ranch work, fencework, yardwork, and just about anything for a buck.. hey man been on the beer economics wagon for four years now.. u get used to it...

Tx
Old 05-27-2005, 12:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by matthopp
I drove an Aggie Bus for over three years. Pay was pretty good and being a student worker for the university had its perks (schedule, summers off, etc).
Same here, drove for about 3 years. Was a trainer for the last year and a half. The other perk was that you knew where all the parties were...although the drivers threw some pretty good parties themselves.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:13 AM

I worked in a dairy bottling milk, washing bottles (glass..remember them??) making loads in the coolers, made popcicles, finally drove home delivery milk truck (rememer them?) . Grls and house wives? yea lots but I was 19-21 what did I know. Really more interested in their dogs. The worst....one summer I worked in a cold storage place that stored and made animal feed. Loaded and unloaded bloody rabbitts, chicken parts, fresh fish, various meat renderings, and gov't butter. I still have night mares about the boxes of chicken heads. Every time I get to feeling sorry for myself I just think of the poor.....that did this for a living. Quit school at 16....no way. If nothing else it provided drive to continue my education.