Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

College Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
College Jobs

I'm curious what everbody used to do for money in college. My roommate and I clean carpets. We work about 12 hours a day/6 days a week on a normal day. In august and earliers this month we work between 16-18 hours a week for 7 days a week, 2 weeks straight. It averages about $20/hr so the money is good. Our boss is also really cool. He usually has some beer and/or dinner waiting for us when we get back. The company is real small. My buddy is supervisor, I'm the assistant supersvisor, and we have a couple of "rookies" that work for us on occasion. The work is hard, hot, and sucks, but a good boss and good pay balances it all out. So tell me what yall used to do in college. I'm curious to see if anyone else had as cruddy of a job as I do.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:53 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I sold drugs...

but seriously, I worked at a convience store, private tutored in math and fisics, and worked in the ocmputer lab on campus.

One of my friends was a private nurse for a quadrapalegic (sp?), he worked 48 hrs straight on the weekends.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:11 PM

only stayed in college for 2 years but my freshman year, I worked for a lumber yard loading flatbed tractor trailers at 4 am w/ a bobcat with forks . My second year I drove a wrecker for a local tow company. Both paid the bills so I cant really complain.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:01 AM

Sold auto parts to get through, once I graduated I left to get into my current job.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I've told you this Blue, but I worked for Hope Lumber there in College Station for four of my five years in college. The first year was spent bagging groceries.

I started out working in the yard building loads and loading trucks with forklifts and ended up becoming one of their drivers (20 ft. flatbeds and box trucks). The pay was good enough for me at the time and it was something I enjoyed doing.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Banned

At least you enjoyed your job. I can't stand mine. But like I said, having a good boss and good pay does help.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My college and Military time were the same so I got paid to go to school and got to break things for a living. Man what a DEAL!!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:55 AM

Lifeguard Supervisor at a private camping resort for 2 Summers (all my lifeguards were girls ). Laborer at a huge geranium greenhouse for 1 Summer. The worst job, ever!! Trainee at an Insurance Agency the last Summer (which I now own )
Old 05-25-2005, 11:42 AM

night loader at a Coca Cola/Coors distribution center. $6/case of beer, it was beautiful.

i was also a logger for a little while.

otherwise, student loans and working hard during the summer made up most of my money for the school year.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:04 PM

I worked construction. I hope you're going to school to be a doctor, because I doubt you find a job that pulls in that type of money right out of school. I would have dropped out of school for that type of money!! Oh wait, I dropped out of school anyway.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:30 PM

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF!!!!

I attempted to attend college while working the sort aisle at UPS for almost nine years - after destroying my body and my general attitude and ruining my GPA I finally took the doc's advice and found something to do that was a little easier on my body. After being not-quite-broke for all those years (but I had good insurance) I bit the bullet and went back to college.

Now, at the age of 40, I will finish my engineering degree this December. Having been lucky (I am partly Irish, after all) I was hired as a non-degree'd engineer and have been given the opportunity to finish my degree with the company's blessing and my Boss's encouragement.

What got me my job originally was the eclectic mix of experience I went out of the way to cultivate in my youth and younger years. I was initially hired to hand build very complex specialty test equipment due to my background in paint & body/restoration work and machine shop capabilities. When I started going back to school I got converted to a co-op position and then hired because they couldn't figure out what I was doiing (a little bit of everything) and wanted to make sure I stayed around.

Regardless of what you do for money, whatever the job is will only be as rewarding as you make it. I have done many things for money, all of them I learned from, even if it was only that I didn't want to ever do that again. Money is not everything in a job - but I can say that because I get paid well for a job I enjoy (most of the time). Sometimes you have to follow your heart and not worry about the wallet - I reckon that is why we have some good teachers, firefighters, etc. still out there, and the men and women of the Armed Forces.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:15 PM

One of my friends "inherited" a contraption from a guy who supposedly put himself through college by selling golf *****. The contraption is a pipe with flexible metal discs on it spaced an inch or so apart (sort of like discs on farm machinery, but closer). It was about 3' long. He would sneak onto all of the local golf courses at night and tow this thing across the water hazards with a rope. It would come out with golf ***** trapped between the flexible metal plates. He would then take all of the golf ***** to the local laundrymat and put them in socks and wash them in the washing machine and then sell them. He supposedly sold some locally, but shipped many to an out of State company that sold used *****. I don't know if the story is true or not (I think it is), but I have seen the "golf ball recovery contraption" in use and it is incredible how well it works for something so simple!
Old 05-25-2005, 03:46 PM

I drove an Aggie Bus for over three years. Pay was pretty good and being a student worker for the university had its perks (schedule, summers off, etc). I also worked commercial construction during the summers.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:00 PM
JKM

Ski resort rental shop do you have any idea how many chicks come through those places!?

Quick Reply: College Jobs