Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

College Degrees?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question College Degrees?

In honor of it being the spring break season, just wondering what all of us who are recent graduates and or still attending college are majoring in and where we went from there.

Here's my background: I started as an electrical systems engineering major, changed to Technology Education(pre-K through 12th grade certification) after my second year. Even with waiting 2 years to become an education major I somehow managed to finish my degree, student teach, and start a masters degree for a semester in 6 years. All the while working 20 or more hours a week and some how competed in Indoor and Outdoor track and field for my University for 4 years. I have no idea at all of how I did it looking back now. But schooling for now is done for me because I decided to make the move into law enforcement rather than teaching, but thats a different post.

Mike
Old 03-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't know what you consider "recent", but I finished my B.S. in Construction Science in August of 2000 from Texas A&M.

Started out majoring in Agricultural Engineering, then switched to Agricultural Development and finally settled down in Construction Science. I've been working on the management side of commercial construction ever since I graduated, but I'd like to get into custom home building some day.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ag Business.

Done Some Bachelor of Commerce stuff etc.

Will probably end up wit Bachelor of Science.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Got my BA in 1985 in Government.

Now I'm working on my MA in National Security and Strategic Studies.

When I retire from the Navy, I might pursue a PhD or JD; I've considered teaching as my second career.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Banned

I'm majoring in the same thing as Hoss is. Got about 3 or 4 more years to go. Going for my master's.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM

Just need to complete my internship and I am done

Ohio State Univ. Ag. Tech. Institute,

Associates Beef Cattle Production and Management
Old 03-11-2005, 05:34 PM

i've got nothing ... i have done some college, but it was only a year long program so i didn't get a degree, only a certificate... at least i had high honours when i passed the program
Old 03-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Dang proud

Texas A&M International university graduate in december of 05, Biology degree with a chemistry minor, NOTHING will stop me.... only 12 hrs to go....

TxDiesel007
Old 03-11-2005, 07:13 PM

Electical Engineering here at the University of New Orleans. Had some trouble with math holding me back at first (poor high school math program). Back on track and probably have about 2 years to go. Gets tough some times, but after seeing the jobs old high school friends are getting, it ain't so bad.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I recieved my BS in Engineering in 2000.
I recieved by EIT license in 2002.
I should be able to take my PE exam next year...
Old 03-11-2005, 09:27 PM

Associates of Applied Sciences in Electronic and Computer Technology with a Concentration on Networking...yup!

Will (hopefully) graduate from DeVry University June 19, 2005...if not, then sometime in the future. Have 1 class to retake plus 1 more term .

After that, back to work at the family business...Mayer Farm Equipment...and try not to screw up a good thing Or at least pay off the new building before I screw it up!

Chris
Old 03-12-2005, 10:11 PM

Fixing to turn 40 and still finishing my degree but will graduate with a BS in Industrial Engineering in December 2005.

Started many years ago in Electrical Engineering at NC State - math was (and still is) my downfall. I aced all of the advanced math courses offered at my rural high school and still was WWWWAAAAAYYYYYY behind everybody else in my calc classes for the first, oh, six or seven attempts at passing several of them. After close to 20 years off-and-on of trying to stay in EE (made it all the way to my senior year, with a GPA to show the struggle) I decided to go back and do something I know I am good at.

Since I was hired by a very large company as a professional hire (no degree needed (thank you Walt Kempin)) for my overall eclectic but broad and specialized experience the only way I can make it to a Staff Engineer position is with a piece of paper. My boss is wonderful - work pays for school and I get time off to attend classes - so back to school I have been going. Try juggling a full-time engineering job, 3 senior level engineering classes, a medically-challenged wife who needs attention, and remodel 2 bathrooms simultaneously.

For this spring break I worked, spent a day with my wife in the hospital, got the flu, and did my taxes - did I mention I worked?

Life is an experience that must be lived to be appreciated......
Old 03-12-2005, 10:18 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

EE is a tough ciricumlum, Actually, any engineering field is tough.
In college I tutored in math and physics and I realized that math isn't something everyone understands.
Dont feel bad, I took Calc I three times to pass it, Calc 2 was twice and calc 3 and diff eq were both once. Hang in there because it sounds like your in line with the changes in Engineering. It seems to be going from specialized, know everything about ONE subject to haveing a generalized knowledge of many disiplines.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Not very recent at all (13 years). Biology and Business Administration. Then I became a firefighter. Makes a lot of sense doesn’t it . I haven’t used the degrees for anything other then hanging on the wall. I have always been interested in the Sciences and my parents thought that Business would be something I could always use. Used neither except for a lot of BS Trivia. Maybe someday I'll use them.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:09 AM

August of 2004

Texas A&M University at Kingsville (A&I in my heart)

Bachelors in Agriculture Science
Minor in Ag. Business

Quick Reply: College Degrees?