Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

CNN suspends Novak after on-air swear

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Bombs and bullets are easy to store on a shelf for a long period of time.
They rarely "retire", don't require month or years of training, and aren't likely to take jobs in the civilian sector leaving an empty position.

The soldiers to use them properly need to be recruited, housed, trained, and retained.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead
Bombs and bullets are easy to store on a shelf for a long period of time.
They rarely "retire", don't require month or years of training, and aren't likely to take jobs in the civilian sector leaving an empty position.

The soldiers to use them properly need to be recruited, housed, trained, and retained.
King Gearge has fewer folks enlisting now than during the prior administration. In fact it seems to me the troops the prior administaration had in place were the troops he sent to fight the Iraqs.
Seems like with all the support he had to get relected that those folks would be lined up at the recruiting offices to show their loyalty
Old 08-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Many of the folks in the Natl Guard and Reserves seemed to be OK for years with drawing a check for a weekend a month and two weeks a year training and "Playing Soldier".
Now that they're being called up to put some of that training into practice, they're complaining.
"Sure I joined the Military,....but not the "fighting" military".......

There will never be an end to discussions such as this.

We must agree to disagree.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:48 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree to disagree sounds about right.
I can see him gettting suspended for walking off. He's there to hold an interesting conversation, not stomp off like a 7 year old.

Acording to Stern, a little thing called "In Demand" (like "on Demand") will revolutionalize the level of profanity and nudity we can get on TV. He predicts that ALL Television will end up this way.
Example:
You wan't to see the Eagles game? It'll cost you $x.xx a month.
Wan't CNN? That'll be $x.xx per month. This will allow networks to rely less on advertisers and you only pay for what you watch. Sure there will be a base line price, but it will be a pay as you go thing from what I gathered. Either way, unsensored stuff from the show will be diferent to see.
Not sure if this is a Direct TV or Digital Cable thing?
I say (along with all non-republicans), if you don't like what you see on the TV, change the channel, turn it off or better yet, cancel the service. (spend the $50.00 a month on Mods). You'll never have to risk your children seeing a bare breast or hearing someone say words they hear on the school bus everyday.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

Interesting thing profanity. It is shunned, forbiden, discouraged, looked douwn on, anf yet is has a way of making it to the surface in every walk of life, by just about every person. But what is profanity after all? A "poor" choice of words to describe human emotions, emotions that we ALL have. Amazingly, the very same words are used for happiness, anger, approval, and disapproval, womderment, and a whole bunch of other feelings. Further more the very words used are either parts or products of our own bodies or or activities that we all engage in, or at least found in nature. So what is the big fuss then? It is not "POLITICALY CORRECT" thats what. No, I am not an advocate of profanity, not at all. I choose not to use it because I find that there are far better words in the English language to describe MOST things that profane words are used for. It does bother me though when its use is blown out of proportion like this CNN thing. Like P.J. said "hearing someone say words they hear on the school bus everyday." should make us reevaluate how we react to what we hear. What we say it entirely a personal issue, reflecting both intelect and self control.

Peter
Old 08-06-2005, 06:14 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well said Peter. I try to censor myself around children, I do pretty well around other folks kids, not so well with mine. My son knows that it's a general lack of intelligence that drives some people to use the "F" world in every other sentence. He is 10 and I DO worry about his language, but mostly because I wan't people to see him as the bright boy he is, not a smart (insert slang terminology for buttocks here).
Old 08-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you have to use profanity to make your point in an argument, you already lost. Some guys like that Carville clown can get under your skin and cause you to lose your cool.

I would walk away from him as well, because the alternative would probably be to choke that stupid look off his face
Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 PM

Seems the "ragin cajun" has made an impresstion on a lot of righties. he he he
Old 08-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If you have to use profanity to make your point in an argument, you already lost. Some guys like that Carville clown can get under your skin and cause you to lose your cool.

I would walk away from him as well, because the alternative would probably be to choke that stupid look off his face
You are righ old sage, but do not think that you'd walk away. Somehow I just think you'd deck the, whats the term? ah yes "male puppy"

Of course if you have to resort to violence you already lost...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:55 AM

the problem is so many people will run there mouths and push people to a point that would have had some one's fist in someones mouth in the past. and i do belive i miss those times. i find that many of the big mouths on tv must have some great security. because it they ran there mouths like that in my neighborhood they would wake up later in the day. it just seems so many people on tv just don't have the manners of a drunk in a bar when it comes to discussing something. and the worst offenders i have seen seem to be big wigs in the democratic party. they all but act without any manners. and face it james carvelle, kennedy, schumer and many more will just keep repeating lies till they even belive it is the truth. it seems that is all the democrats will do now adays is complain. no ideas on what to do just complain.
and herb if the county was doing so well under clinton why did i get layed off 3 times. o yea i worked building F-16 planes and we all know they didn't need them any more.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Well.... You can dispute the facts all you want, but Clinton will go down in history as one of the greatest presidents of all time. And yes, gunracer1, I was in better shape when Clinton was in office. My safety was a little more secure then than it is now. You would think after 9/11 Bush would support the firefighters a little more but NO!!!! He hasn't. I am sick of hearing how the Democrats are the cause of this nation's decline. We invaded a country that didn't attack us. No wonder most of the world hates us! If you want me to post Clintons military funding I would be happy to. Most of you would be surprised. Bush took advantage of a lot of the military development that Clinton had already inacted.

Lary... I'm sorry... but if others can post about how bad the Democrats are then it is only fair that I should be able to defend them.

If I have offended anyone then I'm sorry. But all of the Democrat bashing is getting pretty offensive to me.

Oh yeah... One more thing... I got caught in the trap.....

Here are some facts:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Budget

Clinton Record:

Moved from record deficits to record $236 billion surplus

Bush:

Moved from record surplus to record $422 billion deficit.

Now The Outstanding Public Debt as of 08 Aug 2005 at 09:54:43 PM GMT is: 7,892,082,695,469

The estimated population of the United States is 296,709,338
so each citizen's share of this debt is $26,598.70.
The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1.64 billion per day since September 30, 2004!

This had led the International Monetary Fund (which often bails out basket-case economies) to warn of a fiscal melt down with global repercussions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Domestic Discretionary Spending*

Clinton: +17.9%

Bush: + 31.3%

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Job Growth

Clinton: 22 million jobs created Lowest unemployment rate in 30 years

Bush: 0.3 million jobs created (but net civilian job loss)

Highest unemployment rate in nine years

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wages

Clinton: Increased minimum wage from $4.25 to $5.15

Bush: Opposes wage increase

Taxes

Clinton: Earned income tax credit for 15 million poorer working families

Bush: Tax cuts for the rich, increased audits for tax credits for working families

Education

Clinton: Biggest expansion in college aid since GI bill

Bush: Under-funds own education initiative

Environment

Clinton: Largest expansion of national parks and monuments since Teddy Roosevelt, signed Safe Drinking Water Act, signed Kyoto Accord

Bush: Worst environmental President in history.
Used regulations to undermine Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act, rejected Kyoto Accord and expanded logging and oil drilling in national parks and monuments.

Foreign Policy

Clinton: Worked with UN, NATO and/or allies to bring peace to Kosovo, Bosnia, Northern Ireland, East Timor, promoted Middle East peace process, nuclear threat through Framework Agreement and saved Mexico from currency crisis.

Bush: Cowboy unilateralist diplomacy, unilateralist undermined war on terrorism with Iraq venture, increased North Korea threat through Axis of Evil Pigmy comments, antagonized our allies and ignored Argentinean-Brazilian currency crisis.

Terrorism

"By any measure available, Clinton left office having given greater priority to terrorism than any president before him." Washington Post.

Paul Bremer (current Iraq administrator: "Clinton correctly focused on Bin Laden").

In the words of Bush’s own counter-terrorism director: “They did know better. We told them. The FBI told them. The CIA told them. They did know better. And the tragedy here is that Americans went to their deaths in Iraq thinking that they were avenging September 11 when Iraq had nothing to do with September 11. I think for a Commander in Chief and a Vice President to allow that to happen is unconscionable.”

The Bush administration focused instead on Star Wars and Iraq.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED LINKS: Economic Statistics Briefing Room (Pres. GW Bush) http://www.whitehouse.gov/fsbr/income.html; and Economic Statistics Briefing Room (Pres. Clinton) http://clinton4.nara.gov/fsbr/esbr.html
President Clinton’s “Farewell Address” at 2000 Democratic Convention:
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/con...s/u010814.html

NOTES: ‡ Source: Tax Policy Center (data through 2001)
*Adjusted For Inflation
** Clinton casualty data from United States Casualties of War available at www.nationmaster.com. Bush casualty data from American Military Casualties www.historyguy.com/american_war_casualties.html.

Britt