Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

closing under deck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
closing under deck?

I'm trying to figure out a way to make the part under my deck into a garage. I've looked at all the comercial ceilings but they are way expensive. I'm looking for LOW budget but functional.

Have any of you guys/gals done this or am I

Any advice would be appriciated

Thanks,
Michael
Old 04-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I would assume the deck lets the rain through. Do you want to keep the rain out of the garage? You might have a problem there with water being trapped between the deck and the cieling of the garage. Just my .02.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 PM

done it..... it is not without problems though...... you can use courrgated(sp?) plastic and mount and silicone it up. this works well, but it needs to be cleaned every year at least once, maybe more depending on trees. i didnt clean the one i had and it fell in one year with a heavy rain....... made a HUGE mess and very smelly when it happened.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM

When I planned my original deck design, I provided for a roof, of sorts, under the decking. Before putting the decking down, I ran 2X2 treated stringers inside the joists and sloped them as much as possible from one end of the joists to the other. I put in some cross-bracing and mounted corrugated plastic panels. I then put aluminum flashing on top of the joists and bent it down to shed rain water away from the place where the plastic panels join the joists. Any snow load is carried by the decking - not by the plastic panels. Rain that runs onto the plastic panels run into a gutter at the outside of the deck and then into an underground drain. It more or less protects the equipment under the deck but it does leak slightly during heavy rains. A tighter fit with some silicone caulking would have been an upgrade.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:34 AM

Thanks I was thinking about the currogated (sp) roof also, But to support it by 2x4's underneath, I have 9ft from the bottom so I have the clearance to do that. I've been pricing stuff like Dry-b-lo and others and they start at $3.50 a square foot . I'm just looking to make underneath a shed or garage for stuff like my lawn equipment, ATV etc. etc.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming,
Michael
Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 AM

You're just going to trap moisture on your deck planks and they are going to rot. The only way to do it that I can see would be to build a whole new pitched roof underneath with a gutter system to take water away. You have the right idea about building a new roof underneath... but taking the water away is important.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:45 PM

I was planing to pitch the roofing away from the house to a gutter system. But I want to know if anyone else has done this? Or am I crazy for trying to do this?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:08 PM

It would be good if your deck is made of redwood or pressure treated lumber. It'll last longer with the extra moisture. I think you have the right idea though. As long as the water drains properly and no major pools to give rot and breed mosquitos or other nasties. There is a lot of junk in my yard and whenever my brother leaves something like a tire or a bucket to hold rainwater I chew him out cause the mosquitos will make you anemic around here.

Edwin
Old 04-13-2005, 03:42 PM

I will have a good pitch- I hate mosquitos

What should I use for the siding? any ideas?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by 92DIESEL
I will have a good pitch- I hate mosquitos

What should I use for the siding? any ideas?
Asbestous if you can find it. Stay away from asphaultic and vinyl. I hate vinyl or anything else flamable. Aluminum is good and durable but if you get hail it dents easily.

Edwin