Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Close call...!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Close call...!

Okay just about the time I thought I had witnessed as many crazy stunts while driving, then today happens...

Driving east on I-80 around 10:45 am near Ottowa, IL (Starved Rock country) and as I am about 1/2 mile from an exit, I notice a beige Buick just beyond the exit with first thier brake lights on - and then reversing lights. Figuring they were on the sholdier, I signal and get into the left lane to give them space - then my heart stops....They are in the MIDDLE of the freeway, in-between the right and left lanes, BACKING UP!! I had slowed down quite a bit at this point - so had the van behind me who had also gotten into the left lane. We mananged to get by on the left side of the Buick, but there they were - an elderly couple, acting as if they were backing out of thier own driveway, seemingly oblivious to the fact they were in the middle of 70 mph traffic on I-80 headed Eastbound, while they were headed westbound in reverse.

Luckily they managed to pull to the right and get off at thier intended exit. However more than one vechile nearly hit them, and why couldn't they just head on to the next exit - 3 miles away - and turn back there? Guess I'll never know. Be careful out there - and stay alert - seems fewer and fewer people are now.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 PM

I too have seen that happen. Its worse than people stop in the left lane right before the exit they want then cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get to the exit.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scary is right Makes me shudder just thinking about it!!

I had a blue hair drive right towards me on a 2 lane freeway off ramp in Az only my constant horn blowing made him think!!

Rick
Old 11-05-2006, 06:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 96_12V
Okay just about the time I thought I had witnessed as many crazy stunts while driving, then today happens...

Driving east on I-80 around 10:45 am near Ottowa, IL (Starved Rock country) and as I am about 1/2 mile from an exit, I notice a beige Buick just beyond the exit with first thier brake lights on - and then reversing lights. Figuring they were on the sholdier, I signal and get into the left lane to give them space - then my heart stops....They are in the MIDDLE of the freeway, in-between the right and left lanes, BACKING UP!! I had slowed down quite a bit at this point - so had the van behind me who had also gotten into the left lane. We mananged to get by on the left side of the Buick, but there they were - an elderly couple, acting as if they were backing out of thier own driveway, seemingly oblivious to the fact they were in the middle of 70 mph traffic on I-80 headed Eastbound, while they were headed westbound in reverse.

Luckily they managed to pull to the right and get off at thier intended exit. However more than one vechile nearly hit them, and why couldn't they just head on to the next exit - 3 miles away - and turn back there? Guess I'll never know. Be careful out there - and stay alert - seems fewer and fewer people are now.
I live near charlotte NC and in the last year ther have been several accidents with cars going the wrong way on the interstate. This is one that I cant figure out, you would think when you have to look in your mirrors to see the exit signs you would know your going the wrong way.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:26 AM

old people ...
Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
old people ...
Dont move to AZ... Youll need a bigger mallet then.

I lost count of all the old people ive nearly nailed.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My in-laws live in Phx. The people there do not drive, they are in a comatose, semi-controlled drift. I am more scared driving there than any other place in the US.
BTW, don't knock old people too much, we are all getting there one day at a time.