Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Clay Bar for Paint Trash

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Clay Bar for Paint Trash

This is for those of you who may have grit or overspray in your paint, and cannot get it out with buffing or polishing. I had this problem on my BMW. The paint looked good, but if you ran your hand over the paint you could feel grit, of what origin was unknown. I don't think it was overspray, but couldn't tell because I couldn't see what it was on the paint, plus the car is black. I had trying buffing and polishing but it did nothing for the gritty feel.

I saw this product in Pep Boys and Napa, called Clay Bar. It is a special, sticky lump of clay and a bottle of "lubricant". You take the clay, and after spraying the paint with the "lubricant", rub it on the paint. You can actually feel the rubbing getting smoother. I rubbed down all parts that felt gritty and now it feels smooth as a baby's bottom.
It left no marks on the paint and I am very happy with the results. Only took about 20 minutes. The coat of wax goes on next.

I could not believe the results. This is why I feel like telling everyone who might not know about it.

Chris
Old 03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
DPG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Chris, thanks for the tip! I use Meguiers (did I spell that right?) three step process, and really like it, but this spring I may prep with the clay before step one.

DeWain
Old 03-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Banned

That clay bar has been around for a while. I wish I had thought about it earlier though. Just waxed the truck on sunday and it desperately needs the clay.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

Stamey.
You are oh so right, the clay works wonders. I use it twice a year on all the vehicles. Once in the spring and once in the fall. It is grate for removing contaminants that cling to the paint surface. I usually wash the vehicle twice and then go over it with a slow stream of water running on the area I am using the clay on. You will see the dirt collect in the clay, and you can feel it with your hands how much smoother it is after the clay has done it's thing. I have been using it for almost ten years. Way back it was only available at auto body paint stores, they called it body shop clay. Then it was marketed as Clay Magic, and It is still selling well. Then the last few years about all the major wax companies have there version on it. Who ever you get it from, it is a great product. Really makes a difference when used before a good wax job, it has a deeper color.
Glade you found out about it, I am sure most good detail shops use it as well, just don't like to spread the word.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow y-not,
I didn't know there were more uses for it. Does your paint actually get rough so you NEED to do it twice a year?
I have never noticed paint getting rough like mine was, in fact, I never noticed it at all until my neaighbor lady I was paying to detail the car told me about it amd said she didn't wax it because she wasn't sure what it would hurt. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get it out. I then found this Clay Bar and was told by the people in the store that it worked great, but was unable to find anyone who had actually used it. I took a chance and 16 bucks, and it worked out great.

So I should actually check the paint to see if it feels rough, or are there other signs that tell me I should clay bar it?

Chris
Old 03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

The paint can get dirty enough to feel it with your fingers. My truck sits alot, and all though I wash it on a regular bases, it get tree sap, bird droppings, dust, etc. Also it is black, which gets very hot when the sun is out, and all these things get baked in. It does a very good job of getting this stuff out, and after using it you can feel the difference. But I also use it on all the other vehicles, they do not have the same problems as the black truck, but it cleans them so good , why not? I like to go over the whole vehicle before a waxing, the clay gets out all the impurities, and they seal that clean surface with a quality wax. I haven't experimented as much as some of the others here that have posted, it sounds like the clay is capable of much more then just cleaning painted surfaces.