Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cingular 2125 "Smart Phone".....Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cingular 2125 "Smart Phone".....Who has one?

Since upgrading to the Smart Phone is an expensive upgrade, I'd like to hear from folks who already have one.

Thanks,
Old 02-01-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't help you with that one. I'm using the HP iPAQ 6500 series. It's been great, has quad band GSM, camera, bluetooth, GPS and both SD and mini SD card slots. Also have the Microsoft voice command and navigational software loaded.

MikeyB
Old 02-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for the info. That looks like a really good unit.

I'm trying to intergrate the phone to be able to use an external GPS, internet and have windows capability.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
I'm trying to intergrate the phone to be able to use an external GPS, internet and have windows capability.
Because even Charlie can't find Sedalia all the time when he doesn't have the signs up.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlie,
As you know, I have the Audiovox SMT-5600, a smartphone. I run a program called Mapopolis on it for my gps s/w and use a small Blue Tooth GPS receiver for getting the satellite fix.
The 2125 runs Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone, where my phone runs Windows Mobile 2003 SE for Smartphone.
Couple of things to watch out for: When you look at programs, make sure they will run on WM 5.0 (it is fairly new and the developers are just coming out with stuff for it). The 2125 has a QVGA screen (more resolution than my phone), so make sure the programs you may be looking at to run on it support QVGA graphics.
Also, just because a program says it works with WM 5.0, that doesn't mean it will run on a Smartphone (like the 2125). It may mean it works with a Pocket PC device that is running Windows Mobile 5.0 (but not a Smartphone). Just ask me if you have any questions.

The 2125 will do all you mentioned: Windows capability, Internet Access (be prepared to pay for it though), and you can run GPS s/w from it (as long as you have a receiver). I like my smartphone because it syncs directly with Outlook for contacts, calender etc. without having to go through some 3rd party software to get the contact info to map between the phone and the pc.
~Rob
Old 02-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Because even Charlie can't find Sedalia all the time when he doesn't have the signs up.
Ain't we feeling fiesty this morning!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not a morning person by nature...and now I'm two hours ahead of you guys (at least the Central time guys) so my morning is starting even earlier. I need more coffee.

I was going to say something about the "smart" phone...but I wanted to start off easy. LOL
Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by hotdram
The 2125 will do all you mentioned: Windows capability, Internet Access (be prepared to pay for it though), and you can run GPS s/w from it (as long as you have a receiver). I~Rob
Rob, thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to hollor at you before I drop the dime.

Cingular is currenty running unlimited internet access for $19.95/mth. $19.95 is cheaper then I can add a land line at The Ranch, which is why I looking at the Smart Phone.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:04 AM

Charlie,
'Nuther thing to remember when using the phone as a GPS device, the sceen is fairly small.

Here is a pic of my phone mounted on my dash, the screen does not show the map s/w I use, I will get a pic of that later. I have found that I can zoom in close enough and get enough street level detail to be comfortable using the phone as a GPS.

~Rob
Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 AM
Chapter President

I've thought about the small screen I think your screen and the 2125 are about the same.

Jimmy Hendrix! Boy, you need to get some George Strait on that thing!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:17 AM

I've thought about the small screen I think your screen and the 2125 are about the same.

Jimmy Hendrix! Boy, you need to get some George Strait on that thing!
How about some AC/DC

I am not sure, but the 2125 screen looks a tiny (very tiny) bit bigger.
The 2125 has 240 x 320 pixels resolution, where my phone has 176 x 220 pixels resolution.

One nice thing about the 2125, is that it is EDGE/GPRS enabled, so its speed will be faster when accessing the internet than my non-EDGE enabled SMT-5600.

EDIT: Check out this link: Cingular 2125 side by side comparison with Audiovox SMT-5600

~Rob
Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Chapter President

Rob,

What do you know about this guy? Same price as the smart phone.

http://www.cingular.com/SLVR_iTunes
Old 02-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Rob,

What do you know about this guy? Same price as the smart phone.

http://www.cingular.com/SLVR_iTunes
That's the first I have seen that one. I am surprised that iTunes and Motorola went back together again, the first Mot. phone with iTunes (the ROKR) was a flop. If it is typical Motorola, you would need a third party software/cable (BVRP is the company) to sync the phone with Outlook (another $50), so personally I wouldn't consider it. It also is not a smartphone, so I don't think you could run GPS apps on it. It can access the web though. I see that you can put 100 songs on it (via a memory card). That is not alot of songs and that is one of the reasons the ROKR flopped. This however has the RAZR look, so that might make it popular.

Check out this website for a bunch of phone info: Phonescoop
You can search for the model you are interested in and get reviews/specs/opinions about it.

~Rob
Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Chapter President

Neat site.

Having the tunes means nothing to me at all. I still think the 2125 with the external GPS will come closest to fulfilling my needs.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Chapter President

I went ahead and bought the Cingular 2125 Smartphone yesterday and here are some of my first impressions.

Pros:
* It is definitely full function. Bluetooth, internet, expandable memory, etc.
* Screen resolution is exceptional.
* Larger screen will hold a lot of info.
* A lot of upgrades and software is available.
Cons:
* The number keys are very small compared to other phones.
* The toggle key is very small and extremely sensitive, making scrolling thru the menus difficult.
* Expanding the menus makes setup a long process.
* Ring tones are not very loud.
* I had the phone numbers transferred for my previous phone, but it wrote over them when I used the included software to sync my email addresses for Outlook.
* The owners manual was not in the box when I got home. Back to the store this morning.

Quick Reply: Cingular 2125 "Smart Phone".....Who has one?