Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I forgot to mention, it being dark at 530 doesn't help, either. At least seasonal depression isn't seeming to be coming on. Two more weeks and I'll notice the days getting longer again!!!
I don't know why, but I thought you were further north than I am, but it seems that you got at least an hour more daylight.
Today is the day before christmas here, our christmas is on the 24th ya know, the sun is out, but the snow is ages away...

Slev
Old 12-23-2013, 03:23 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Good morning one and all. Finally, I get to say good morning and on the same day as most of you. I AM HOME!!!!!! It was a long, tiring trip from the other side of the world, but I finally made it back home. Surprisingly my wife still wants me. Although we email and speak to one another a few times a week, nothing beats actually getting together and hugging. Now I need to train my body to this new life and time zone. Here it is, shortly after 3 a.m. and I am wide awake and at the 'puter. Something wrong with this picture!

Wondered into the breakroom and was surprised by the Christmas tree. Coffee was cold, so threw the strange looking remains into the dragon's feed dish and made some fresh stuff. Hmmmm, smells ............... strange. Have some anyway. Left a large container of small ginger bread men on the counter. Don't be greedy, only two each. No, that does NOT mean two dozen each!!!! Hey, why no mistletoe on the tree, or over the door? Somebody afraid of a kiss? Or are you just afraid of being kissed and slobbered over by certain unnamed DTR members who wonder in here.

Had a nasty surprise when I tried to check in at American Airlines in Toronto. As this was my final trip home, for a change was traveling with 4 suitcases. No problem with the 4 from China to Canada, but AA told me that there was a Christmas embargo and only two bags per person allowed. Could not even ship the other two by paying for excess baggage or overweight. Was forced to grab a cab and rush to the nearest FedEx facility and ship two bags. Boy-oh-boy, is that ever expensive! The only consolation is that the company will pay for this. Been tracking the shipment and it is well on it's way here. My only fear is what customs will do with it. No doubt they will open it all up and check everything. Hope the guy/gal checking does not have sticky fingers or damage a couple of fragile items that are well wrapped and padded.

It seems that I just got out of China in time. Received an email last night telling me that in the last two days they have experienced the worst days of pollution this year. Apparently where I was living (Shenyang) the air pollution is so bad that the air is just like a thick fog. It was a great pleasure yesterday morning to see the sun come up and actually see blue sky and the hills in the far distance. Most of you take that for granted, but where I was living, that is a rarity. Last night when I went to bed I could see the stars. Living in China, I never ever saw the stars. Saw the moon a few times and the evening star a few times, but that was all. Very sad.

Later this morning will wonder out and see if my truck still recognizes me. Going to dehibernate / unhiberate it and fire it up. Fully expect it to roar to life with no more than two extra compressions. In fact, it will probably fire up exactly like normal. Just need to get new insurance and then can hit the road. It sure will be nice to have wheels again and not rely on taxis.

Missed the last two Christmases with my wife, so it is going to so nice to have Christmas day at home and have some family around. Really feel for the men and women in the service who are doing such a great job, but are forced to be away from loved ones at this glorious time of the year. Thanks for your service, even if you cannot read this.

The ads on this site are becoming obnoxious. Have recently been seeing words in blue and double underlined. Made the mistake once of clicking on one of them, only to discover that is a sneaky way to advertise. Hate advertising at the best of times, but sneaky advertising is the worst. Once I discover what is being advertised, I make a note to myself NOT to purchase that product.

Still not feeling sleepy, so may go and find something to do, or read a book.

Ciao.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:42 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Good morning one and all. Finally, I get to say good morning and on the same day as most of you. I AM HOME!!!!!! It was a long, tiring trip from the other side of the world, but I finally made it back home. Surprisingly my wife still wants me.
Wow, bet it does feel good. That is a long time to be gone. Enjoy. Picked up the wife last night from the airport and got home about 12:30, in bed by about 1. Yeh, I know, what am I doing up? I don't know - - just couldn't sleep in spite of the wonderful creature in bed with me. Just got off the treadmill - - did some weights - - maybe that will relax me some.

Grabbing some ph00 and gone. ..................

Bob
Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good morning one and all. Finally, I get to say good morning and on the same day as most of you. I AM HOME!!!!!!
Welcome Home Stan!!!!!

The ads on this site are becoming obnoxious. Have recently been seeing words in blue and double underlined. Made the mistake once of clicking on one of them, only to discover that is a sneaky way to advertise.
Stan that kind of advertising is supposed to ONLY be seen by non members...once you log on you should never see anything like that Let me know if you see it after being logged on....
Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning yall.
Welcome home Stan
Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to see ya Back Stan!

The ads on this site are becoming obnoxious... Once I discover what is being advertised, I make a note to myself NOT to purchase that product.
Yep. And IB doesn't get it. Sad. All they care about is the immediate buck.

Today is Monday, December 23rd.

1783 - George Washington returned home to Mount Vernon, after the disbanding of his army following the Revolutionary War.

1788 - Maryland voted to cede a 100-square-mile area for the seat of the national government. About two-thirds of the area became the District of Columbia.

1823 - The poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" by Clement C. Moore (" 'Twas the night before Christmas...") was published.

1913 - The Federal Reserve Bill was signed into law by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson. The act established 12 Federal Reserve Banks.

1919 - The first ship designed to be used as an ambulance for the transport patients was launched. The hospital ship was named USS Relief and had 515 beds.

1941 - During World War II, American forces on Wake Island surrendered to the Japanese.

1942 - Bob Hope agreed to entertain U.S. airmen in Alaska. It was the first of the traditional Christmas shows.

1947 - John Bardeen, Walter H. Brattain and William Shockley invented the transistor.

1948 - Former Japanese premier Hideki Tojo and six other Japanese war leaders were executed in Tokyo. They had been found guilty of crimes against humanity.

1968 - Eighty-two crewmembers of the U.S. intelligence ship Pueblo were released by North Korea, 11 months after they had been captured.

1986 - The experimental airplane Voyager, piloted by Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeager, completed the first non-stop, around-the-world flight without refueling as it landed safely at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

1987 - Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, serving a life sentence for the attempted assassination of U.S. President Ford in 1975, escaped from the Alderson Federal Prison for Women in West Virginia. She was recaptured two days later.

1997 - Terry Nichols was convicted by a Denver jury on charges of conspiracy and involuntary manslaughter in the 1995 federal building bombing in Oklahoma City. The bomb killed 168 people.

Today's thought:
Could I have been anyone other than me?

TOB&F today!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome Home Stan!

Had a family bash yesterday. Santa came a few days early. Couple of the girls got pink BB guns. Had a ball teaching/lecturing them. The boys got airsoft stuff, and yup, same lecture.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome back Stan!

Hello all ewe udder DTROnians.

Lary, show us your LEGGS!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Back to the single digits and clear. Snowed a lot yesterday. Going to be shoveling/blowing today.
Welcome back Stan. Hope your truck didn't leave you for another man.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome back to side of the world Stan.

Breath some clean air and run the Cummings. Hope you remember you drive from the front seat.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Stan that kind of advertising is supposed to ONLY be seen by non members...once you log on you should never see anything like that Let me know if you see it after being logged on....
Lary - - we are telling you, the ads are ridiculous. I am a member. Right on your member details of your post the words "Diesel Truck" are bright green, double underlined and you hover over it and a popup comes up for Internet access. Sometimes those double lines are all over the place and the ad that comes up usually has no relationship to the words underlined. Many times when I select the area I wish to go such as "other", the screen will freeze - - I click on Other again and a big popup comes up many times referring to a website
rvzr-a.akamaihd.net. Another one I have seen on here is: offer4u.org

Sorta takes the fun out of browsing around on here. My Verizon home page is just as bad. Most other sites are OK.

Bob
ps: Just went back to check just this page for more info. Slev has a post that contains "Dodge Ram" in his signature lines - - hover over it and it is the same as yours. Internet access from Frontier, Ads for Webexp Enhanced for Frontier. When I came back to Edit this post, a large popup came up for that rvzr - etc bunch. When I killed it, this edit screen was under it.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Top's Younger Twin

This is the only site that I encounter a problem with my touch screen on my phone now.
When I tap 'reply' it turns blue then nothing happens. Same thing happens when I move or try to move to another area of the site. I've also had a window pop up asking if I want to continue to a site.
I just close my browser.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
Lary - - we are telling you, the ads are ridiculous. I am a member. Right on your member details of your post the words "Diesel Truck" are bright green, double underlined and you hover over it and a popup comes up for Internet access. Sometimes those double lines are all over the place and the ad that comes up usually has no relationship to the words underlined. Many times when I select the area I wish to go such as "other", the screen will freeze - - I click on Other again and a big popup comes up many times referring to a website
rvzr-a.akamaihd.net. Another one I have seen on here is: offer4u.org

Sorta takes the fun out of browsing around on here. My Verizon home page is just as bad. Most other sites are OK.

Bob
ps: Just went back to check just this page for more info. Slev has a post that contains "Dodge Ram" in his signature lines - - hover over it and it is the same as yours. Internet access from Frontier, Ads for Webexp Enhanced for Frontier. When I came back to Edit this post, a large popup came up for that rvzr - etc bunch. When I killed it, this edit screen was under it.
Bob it is not supposed to do that and i see none of that here on mine at all..I will report it to IB so they can look into it we have had it come up a couple times but they have been really good about setting it straight when I tell them.

As for all the pop up ads..what kind of anti spyware and ad tracker software are you using? How often do you update your browser, your java and your flash to be sure it is all current as well? All these things must be updated constantly in order to fight against hackers and a downside of not updating is a page will not load it will just freeze and you will have trouble accessing the site.

I am running three different machines here and have no issues at all but did before I made sure everything was up to date and I now KEEP it that way. I wish I saw what you guys saw it would make it easier to fight it but I see none of that stuff except when I am browsing the site and am not logged in.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:33 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scotty
This is the only site that I encounter a problem with my touch screen on my phone now.
When I tap 'reply' it turns blue then nothing happens. Same thing happens when I move or try to move to another area of the site. I've also had a window pop up asking if I want to continue to a site.
I just close my browser.
I get this same thing if I use " the mobile version"
Can't post or reply and gave issues trying to browse, but at least I font get the ads
Old 12-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
I get this same thing if I use " the mobile version"
Can't post or reply and gave issues trying to browse, but at least I font get the ads
I don't use the mobile app, never worked. I think the touch screen issue has something to do with my LEGGS. LoL

Quick Reply: Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28