Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Well I don't really want it to NOT update as we use Adobe for a lot of other things besides browsing. But it makes me wonder just how stable a program it is when it needs to update so often. The last time HP alerted me to an update it was because it changed the colors of the little bars that tell you when your ink cartridges were getting low in one of the printers.
Programs like Adobe have thousands of hackers trying to break into the code so they can use it to get access to your computer, most of the updates are security related...they are closing the holes they find so people can't get in.

The stuff you need to worry about is the stuff that doesn't update...that means they are not actively securing it.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Yes, it DID occur to me. That's why I update when it tells me to... daily in some cases. I don't just exit out of it, I do what it tells me to because it is a so-called 'trusted' program. But it's a pain in the backside seeing that so often. HP is the next one in line that updates at least weekly.
You can set the Adobe to update without notifying you so you won't see the messages.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:47 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I won't use IE it is too buggy and the easiest one for hackers to get into I like Pale Moon a leaner version of Firefox.
I run FF but honestly havent been impressed with how many "add-ons" it keeps piling up.. takes almost 2 minutes to open when I first turn on the 'puter..
Ive heard too many stories about the problems with IE...

So whats PALE MOON??
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like maybe Pale Moon is what firefox used to be- simple, small, reliable. And probably more secure because the more they add to it the more chance of someone finding another way in.

Went to a friend's place today, he has a bunch of Locust, Elm, and pine that needs cut down or picked up. Cut a bunch for firewood today. Have the trailer heaped and the truck about level full. Don't want to go too far with the trailer like that, it's about an inch off the bump stops. Lots more there, should be good for a while cutting there.

And I just realized I left the basement door open. And Huck's sounding kinda mad at something in front of the house.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:47 PM

Was thinking of going to town tonight but don't feel like unloading the Dodge (and trailer) or fighting a headwind on the way home with the Amigo.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Administrator

I won't use IE it is too buggy and the easiest one for hackers to get into I like Pale Moon a leaner version of Firefox.
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
So whats PALE MOON??
Yes, tell us about Pale Moon. I saw it when they first introduced it and was following them on Facebook, but they haven't posted anything on there in quite a while. I saw at one time they were having a few problems, asking for people to report what they were seeing/experiencing, but I never heard if they released newer stuff after that or just gave up. It seemed like a nice, simple program but I was skeered that it might either have holes or conflict with other programs.

You can set the Adobe to update without notifying you so you won't see the messages.
Yes, Michael says that too, but I like to know what's going on in my computer. I know, I know, it's just me. I don't like direct deposit either. I earned the money, it's mine and I want to feel it, touch it, smell it, then deposit it myself. Or cash it. Or do whatever else I wanna do with it. The National Fire Academy hates me because I won't let them put me into that program. I got in just before they mandated it and made people sign an agreement as to that's the way they would be paid.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Reading some about Pale Moon, it says it's designed to run on " newer" systems. Guess my 7 yr old Dell running Windows XP Home prob won't support it

EDIT: checked and I m running ver.2002 of Windows...maybe I need to look at a newer puter...
Old 12-28-2013, 08:40 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny how we get used to things. I never have problems with IE and my wife had Firefox on her laptop and had many problems.
I would probably use Firefox just because it is a leaner program but it won't work with my security camera system so I have to use IE.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Bark
Howdy fellow baby burpers,
baby burpers???? I haven't burped a baby in over 16 years...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn

So whats PALE MOON??
It is a browser based on Firefox but it is leaner and runs quicker I have been using it since it came out no issues what so ever.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Admin Team Leader

I appreciate the offer of help Lary and I may call you at some point. But everything IS updated as Michael does that kinda thing as a part of his living. I'd be suspect that something is in fact amiss, but this is the only site I visit that has problems. I also belong to Arboristsite. com. and with almost 1150 threads last week alone, I would think if I was going to have issues with a web site, they would be the one. They don't use the best software and don't have a very big server.

Seems the time when I have the most problems here is in the early morning, between 4 and 6 AM. After that it's not too bad usually. It can get slow sometimes in the evenings but I've never got the white blank page then.
I think you are so fixated on wanting it to be the forums fault that you are missing what is really going on here. You never had this problem until after Jack and I sold the website so I can see your logic in assuming the site is the issue but lets look at it from a different angle.....

When we owned the place we would not allow our advertisers to run flash or animated banners because we knew it would play havoc on our members still on dial up, now they run all kinds of banners that most likely include Java and Flash to animate them.

If you have an older Java or flash that is not updated properly the browser will likely hang trying to load an ad, your PC is not able to decode it because of the older version of software...it may not have any effect on this other site you frequent because they may not have the type of ad that is messing with you.

This would also explain why it does it not matter where you are located when on the road and the fact that it works some times and not others...could simply be the luck of the ad rotation when you try to log on.

I would attack the situation from the PC end, download the latest Sun Java and Adobe flash and check the browser itself to make sure it is working correctly as well. I got a feeling you may very well fix your issue since the ad blocker Rick had you use seems to help from time to time.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Bob...download the latest Sun Java to see if that helps. Pick the one here that matches your system. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...s-1880261.html
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM

Ok, Im running the 32bit version of Pale Moon now, and it certainly loads much much faster
Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 AM

I think that's the one I got, too. Even transferred my lists and stuff over. Looks slightly different too, I like it.
Bye-bye, firefox!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 AM

Good morning there folks, it's 7:30AM here, and the cat and I are enjoying a nice and quiet cup of coffee.
I guess we survived another christmas, probably gained a pound or three, but who's counting
As much as I like being around family and friends, I really do like these mornings when the house is absolutely silent, and I have had my breakfast, checked the furnace, and my pelletpress and I know that everything is running, and then a nice cup of coffee.
Since I can't be of any help with the computerproblems, I just put the coffee on and threw a pile of leftover christmaspastry on the counter, there's beer in the fridge, and half a bottle of schnaps in case someone would need a stronger coffee...help yourself.

Slev