Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:42 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
2013- The Pledge no longer said in school and considered "offensive"
Shorts, its too early to get me started ranting.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
1869 - William E. Semple, of Mt. Vernon, OH, patented an acceptable chewing gum. <I figured it woulda been William Wrigley or Juce E. Froot>
Bazooka Joe.

Nap time. Im going to try to catch a few more zzzzzs.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy post holidaze everyone, brewed some fresh coffee, fresh phoooo and left some biscuits and gravy on the counter so dig in.

Originally Posted by railroaderone
What a day finialy broke down and went to the ER at the Beckley VA for my gout. Got two shots one for pain one for the gout to help start cleaning it up. Also found out I have major structural problems with the foot because of the aurthitis and gout problems I'm having.

Where can I go for an overhaul
Hate to see that you're having foot issues too, hope you don't end up like me, right now am sitting here recovering from having half the bones in my foot fused together and the achilles reworked... is no fun but compared to the trials that Bob and his family are going thru is a walk in the park.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kthiemann
Happy post holidaze everyone, brewed some fresh coffee, fresh phoooo and left some biscuits and gravy on the counter so dig in.

Hate to see that you're having foot issues too, hope you don't end up like me, right now am sitting here recovering from having half the bones in my foot fused together and the achilles reworked... is no fun but compared to the trials that Bob and his family are going thru is a walk in the park.
My uncle slid a 750 JD off the side of a trailer, ended up with a framework around his leg for a while, and a couple bones in his foot died, had to have them removed and bones around them fused together.

Off to cut some wood. A friend has some dead elm in his tree claim. Cut a limb off a tree down in a hole last night to get the furnace filled. Cows were watching me til I fired up the saw, half them started running away. Shut it off and said "hey girls, it's just a saw, it's not coming for you", they started coming back. Fired it up and they ran away while I was cutting. They were curious but not THAT curious.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How I'm feeling anymore. Much to young to feel this old

Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I absolutely despise Adobe. Seems like every single day I get a pop-up from them to update. I don't know of an alternative but if I did, they'd be GONE!
If you get a message from adobe every single day to update it...did it ever occur to you that you might be getting white pages because your browser can't load due to conflicts from being out of date?

Products like Adobe flash are updated constantly to keep them safe from hackers, viruses and malware...they are also updated to run seamlessly with the ever changing software on the Internet, if you don't keep everything up to date you will have problems.

Give your PC a chance by bringing everything up to date and that will make it run smoother and a LOT safer. I told you a couple times to call me I had every intention of going over things item by item to help you end your connection problems.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I'm feeling anymore. Much to young to feel this old
However, the fiddle player makes me wish I was young.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
if you don't keep everything up to date you will have problems.
As you have mentioned there are a lot of updater programs out there that are pretty good.
I still like this free Secunia PSI program since I can have it check for up dates on all the little programs without having each programs auto updater running in the background.

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Cows were watching me til I fired up the saw, half them started running away.
We have a reverse problem. If you crank up a saw and there are spruce trees around you will get moose in your way. They love the smaller tender stuff at the top of the trees and have learned that a saw = food.

Rats. Coming down with the cold my Grandson dragged home from school.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:56 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
That reminds me of my uncle who lived WAY down Maine, almost as far as you could get without being in Canada. Great guy. When someone showed up at his house he'd greet them with a genuine smile and say, "It's great to see you! When you goin' home"?

I thought of that. THat's why I have a loader and built a processor. Basically all I'll have to do is drag my sorry old butt into the loader and the rest is all mechanized. Only thing I have left to build or buy is a cut to length tree harvester!

I absolutely despise Adobe. Seems like every single day I get a pop-up from them to update. I don't know of an alternative but if I did, they'd be GONE!

B0b gets his java every morning, so there should be no problem there.
Foxit works well. You can click a box in adobe preferences that will tell it to leave you alone about updates.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Bark

As you have mentioned there are a lot of updater programs out there that are pretty good.
I still like this free Secunia PSI program since I can have it check for up dates on all the little programs without having each programs auto updater running in the background.
I have used that Secunia PSI program as well and like it, I don't keep it running full time though because like everything else it uses a lot of resources...I run it about once a week and then shut it down. It helps solve a lot of computer issues
Old 12-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
We have a reverse problem. If you crank up a saw and there are spruce trees around you will get moose in your way. They love the smaller tender stuff at the top of the trees and have learned that a saw = food.
I used to take a rifle with me when cutting wood. I'd wack away for awhile, then shut down the saw and sit on a log for a coffee break with the gun in my lap. Every once in awhile, a curious whitetail would pop into the work area. 10 yard shot took care of supper for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If you get a message from adobe every single day to update it...did it ever occur to you that you might be getting white pages because your browser can't load due to conflicts from being out of date?
Yes, it DID occur to me. That's why I update when it tells me to... daily in some cases. I don't just exit out of it, I do what it tells me to because it is a so-called 'trusted' program. But it's a pain in the backside seeing that so often. HP is the next one in line that updates at least weekly.

I appreciate the offer of help Lary and I may call you at some point. But everything IS updated as Michael does that kinda thing as a part of his living. I'd be suspect that something is in fact amiss, but this is the only site I visit that has problems. I also belong to Arboristsite. com. and with almost 1150 threads last week alone, I would think if I was going to have issues with a web site, they would be the one. They don't use the best software and don't have a very big server.

Seems the time when I have the most problems here is in the early morning, between 4 and 6 AM. After that it's not too bad usually. It can get slow sometimes in the evenings but I've never got the white blank page then.

The deer do that here. Go out back in the woodlot and run the splitter and they'll congregate within 50 feet. Shut the thing off and they scatter.

Ran the processor from 9 to 10 and got about 8 more cords ready to burn. Checked on the wood boiler when I was done and I still couldn't put any more wood in it. Last time I filled it was at 7:30 last night. It's only heating one building right now so I expect the wood consumption will at least double once we bring the house on line.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j_martin
You can click a box in adobe preferences that will tell it to leave you alone about updates.
Well I don't really want it to NOT update as we use Adobe for a lot of other things besides browsing. But it makes me wonder just how stable a program it is when it needs to update so often. The last time HP alerted me to an update it was because it changed the colors of the little bars that tell you when your ink cartridges were getting low in one of the printers.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have updated Adobe Flash to the latest/greatest 11 and still have blank white pages, boxed with the little round circle in the top left with a diagonal slash in it. I cannot open any moving game with IE - - must use Foxy. None of the Utube stuff posted on here will open, but I can copy their URL, get off this site, paste the URL in and voala - - there it is. Strange. I am running IE 11.

on edit - - just noted post # 139 with a UTube box - - it is blank with the little circle in top left corner - - will not open. If I click on the words "you tube" above the box, it will take me to the site and open it.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just wished I could get my internet to work new router new modum 30 min in the phone with comcast 1.5 on phone with net gear with some forniner that don't speak enough English to understand and it still won't work. Gona pay someone to set this up after the first of the year.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by FiverBob
I have updated Adobe Flash to the latest/greatest 11 and still have blank white pages, boxed with the little round circle in the top left with a diagonal slash in it. I cannot open any moving game with IE - - must use Foxy. None of the Utube stuff posted on here will open, but I can copy their URL, get off this site, paste the URL in and voala - - there it is. Strange. I am running IE 11.

on edit - - just noted post # 139 with a UTube box - - it is blank with the little circle in top left corner - - will not open. If I click on the words "you tube" above the box, it will take me to the site and open it.
I won't use IE it is too buggy and the easiest one for hackers to get into I like Pale Moon a leaner version of Firefox.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

I just wished I could get my internet to work new router new modum 30 min in the phone with comcast 1.5 on phone with net gear with some forniner that don't speak enough English to understand and it still won't work. Gona pay someone to set this up after the first of the year.
I can fix your modem for you and only charge you a beer

Quick Reply: Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28