Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Choosing air compressors

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Choosing air compressors

I'm looking at air compressors now. I need it to run an angle die grinder for me (in lieu of an angle grinder) and of course air up the random things that need airing up.

At Sears I'm comparing two particular compressors, one a regular Craftsman 33gal, the other a Craftsman Pro model 25gal. Both models will meet the cfm reqs for the die grinder and 25gal I've determined as the minimum size I can get away with. The reason I'm struggling on a decision is because they have a 25gal Pro model marked down on clearance since it's a floor model. It's regularly over $400 but its marked down to $305. The 33gal is sitting at $329. Talking to the sales guys (who I did talk to for a long time- he's an offroad garage guy as well - jeeps and snow machines originally from AK. Not an idiot poser but actually a knowledge guy) recommended the 33gal for the capacity so it isn't cycling when using the die grinder. I'm leaning to the 25gal because it's a Pro model for less money and a slightly better cfm and hopefully not as loud being oil lubed. Of course the sales guy is well, a sales guy so I don't fault him if he is up selling. But I do think he's offering an honest recommendation.

What do you guys think? Which compressor would you pick?

Here's the two on paper:

33 Gallon Craftsman $329

* Item weight: 145 lbs
* General warranty: 1 year limited
* SCFM delivery at 40 PSI: 6.3 SCFM
* SCFM delivery at 90 PSI: 5.1 SCFM
* Compressor tank capacity: 33 gallon
* Maximum compressor psi: 150 psi
* Compressor tank pump style: oil free
* Compressor tank type: horizontal
* Horsepower: 1.6 rhp
* Drive type: direct drive
* Voltage: 120 volts
* Overall color: red
* oCord option: fully equipped with power cord
* Setup: handle assembly required
* Manufacturer warranty: Craftsman Warranty

25 Gallon Craftsman Pro $305 (on clearance as floor model)

* Item weight: 165 lbs
* General warranty: 1 year limited
* SCFM delivery at 40 PSI: 7.2 SCFM
* SCFM delivery at 90 PSI: 5.8 SCFM
* Compressor tank capacity: 25 gallon
* Maximum compressor psi: 150 psi
* Compressor tank pump style: oil lube
* Compressor tank type: horizontal
* Horsepower: 1.9 rhp
* Drive type: belt drive
* Voltage: 120/240 volts wired at 120
* Overall color: black
* Cord option: fully equipped with power cord
* Setup: handle assembly required
* Manufacturer warranty: Craftsman Warranty
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running an air grinder with either of those will mean you will be stopping and waiting for the compressor to catch up. I have a 2 HP compressor with a rating of 11.1 cfm @90 psi and I STILL run out of air when I run my grinder for more than a minute or so.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Running an air grinder with either of those will mean you will be stopping and waiting for the compressor to catch up. I have a 2 HP compressor with a rating of 11.1 cfm @90 psi and I STILL run out of air when I run my grinder for more than a minute or so.
Yup, I anticipate that. I just can't afford to drop a grand on a compressor so I'll have to compromise on the duty cycle.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Nothing wrong with that, just as long as you know up front so you don't get disappointed.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Nothing wrong with that, just as long as you know up front so you don't get disappointed.
I appreciate it. Yeah I've gotten use to having to do things all modified and usually less efficient than traditional ways. Having only one arm key holes me into finding alternative methods to do the same work. I just took back a new 4 1/2" angle grinder. I originally planned to mod it so I could use it with one hand, but I just didn't feel up to it and looking at pics online after searching "one hand angle grinder" left me kinda grossed out and settled the matter

Hopefully the die grinder will be a bit quicker than a metal file. As it is I can't screw up my welding, which is very hard because I'm a pretty n00b welder

Oh, I have used my Dremel in small spots but the grinding stones wear out way too fast and the tool just gets too hot to handle. So that's where I decided a pneumatic would be better than an electric model die grinder.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shorts
I appreciate it. Yeah I've gotten use to having to do things all modified and usually less efficient than traditional ways. Having only one arm key holes me into finding alternative methods to do the same work. I just took back a new 4 1/2" angle grinder. I originally planned to mod it so I could use it with one hand, but I just didn't feel up to it and looking at pics online after searching "one hand angle grinder" left me kinda grossed out and settled the matter

Hopefully the die grinder will be a bit quicker than a metal file. As it is I can't screw up my welding, which is very hard because I'm a pretty n00b welder

Oh, I have used my Dremel in small spots but the grinding stones wear out way too fast and the tool just gets too hot to handle. So that's where I decided a pneumatic would be better than an electric model die grinder.
My hat is off to you sir. I have a hard enough time doing things with 2 hands, let alone one. I hope you feel pretty good about yourself because you SHOULD!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have that 33 gal and it won't operate an impact wrench worth beans, if that's a consideration. I just use the impact wrench like a speed wrench with it, breaker bar to loosen up real tight stuff.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Redleg
I have that 33 gal and it won't operate an impact wrench worth beans, if that's a consideration. I just use the impact wrench like a speed wrench with it, breaker bar to loosen up real tight stuff.

Really, My dad has the same unit and I have not found to much it won't take off. I have a IR 2135Ti gun and this compressor and I was able to take apart my rusty front end and remove the rear pinion nut with out issue, we have worked on all kinds of stuff with no real issue other then waiting for it to catch up. OP the 33GAL my dad has it almost 9 years old, I bought it for him when I was like 17 I think. We have not had one issue with it other then it does not run for beans in the cold(not really an issue for you)
Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have two stage 20HP 3 phase unit from these guys.. It is very dependable, quit and most importantly cool (less condensation in the tank / lines = longer consumable life on the plasma torch) it waits on me

If all your running is die grinders, air drills and such go with a single stage unit if you need the psi (125-175) to bust the big nuts off with get a two stage unit..

Here is the link to the site, do a fleabay search for them as well:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm
Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Wouldn't touch my cross member bolts, I have to break loose lugnuts manually. Impact is 1/2" chuck, maybe 3/8" works better? Run time is short too, if using a larger sand blaster. Small one was ok.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Chapter President

IMHO I would go with the pro unit. Belt drive and oil lube means far less problems with the compressor.. Especially if its going to be on a high duty cycle to run your air tools.

Noise too, direct drive units (I have one) are high RPM and make more noise than the belt drive models.

If you need capacity, get another tank and add it to the system. The charge time is longer, but you might be able to string out your work time a little more.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM

The only air tool I'm looking to run now is the angle die grinder. I got a nice long breaker bar already lol Part of the reason I'm probably going to limit what air tools I have is because it's very difficult to control the rotational torque with one hand, even when I brace with my leg or hip/body. Even now I can crank myself pretty good with the stupid power drill.

I don't have a 220 hookup in my garage. As it is I run a 50' 10/3 power cord directly wired to my stick welder (a rat chewed the original power cord and I need an extension cord & adapter at the same time).

I know I'm running at the low end here, believe me. I just got stuff to do and right now, in regards to welds I gotta fix, my choice of tools is a metal file or a Dremel with sanding stone. I've used both already and they take too long and it wears me out. Essentially I'm already getting nothing done for the work I'm doing lol I spent the last few days with a Ridgid Fuego one handed recip saw w/ Milwalkee 5tpi pruning blades on some smaller diameter firewood limbs to get them cut to length. Ofcourse, any normal two handed human being would use a chain saw. So I totally understand and constantly work through the compromise of the best tool vs the tool I can use vs my husband asking "how much is that tool?".
Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 PM

My hat is off to you sir. I have a hard enough time doing things with 2 hands, let alone one. I hope you feel pretty good about yourself because you SHOULD!
Thank you much! Oh and ma'am please
Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator

My apology ma'am!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out these electric die grinders they are on the chassis of their 41/2" angle grinders there would be no need for air compressor:

Dewalt:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW887-1...5121046&sr=1-7

Makita:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-GD0601-...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Cordless angle:

http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-r...googlebase_18u

My apology ma'am!
Ma'am I advise you to keep an eye on this shifty dude

Quick Reply: Choosing air compressors