Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Chevy Quadrasteer

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Number47
i havent worked on any but a friend of mine that works for a gm dealer says they can be a death trap when the rear steer fails. its electronic and most accidents happen when the truck were traveling down the highway and the rear steer fail and made the back of the truck steer out from under it self

One would think if that were the case there would be some sort of recall on those things even with the low sales numbers....
Old 08-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i havent worked on any but a friend of mine that works for a gm dealer says they can be a death trap when the rear steer fails. its electronic and most accidents happen when the truck were traveling down the highway and the rear steer fail and made the back of the truck steer out from under it self
here we go again. More BS made up paranoia-based stories from a friend of a uncle whos a service writer.

your VP44 is way more likely to fail than the quadra-steer system.

Th quadra-steer system is MECHANICALLY self centering. You could have everything electrical/computerized fail/diosconnected, and it will revert to CENTER via a spring. I mean come on with a design on something like this that could put many lives at risk, dont you think Delphi would put a lot of fail-safes in it? Its NO MORE a liability than something failing in a conventional front steering system.

sheesh I was waiting to see how long it would take to see a post like this.

I will admit it took longer than I thought.

Sorry to come off like an ##%, but this is exactly the type of things that give q-steer a bad rep, and it just makes me mad.

ben
Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hintz
He lying about the MPG, I had one, it got at BEST 15mpg hwy and around 12mpg city, while the 6.0L does move pretty good unloaded, it had a helluva time pulling 9k, Im mean on flat ground at 65 the slightest inlcine and its in 3rd gear. Also had to replce the whole readend under warranty though it would have cost aroound 5grand, and the rear end is a dana 60.
Originally Posted by duratothemax
quadra-steer gets a bad rep for several reasons

GM was stupid about marketing it
It was way too expensive when it was first offered, and that turned people off to it...by the time GM lowered the price to something reasonable, it was too late to regain public interest. It was cancelled in the 2005 model year.

Its really too bad because its a nice system and is amazing to drive, especially backing up trailers. 98% of the people who say "no thanks" are ASSuming that because its something 'different', it must be trouble-prone and unreliable. Then because it gets those bad assumptions, false stories start developing like "well my brothers uncle's frined is a service writer at a chevy dealer and they come in all the time with problems", when thats not even true. I guarantee you probably 75% of the GM dealers have never even seen/sold/serviced a q-steer truck...theres hardly any of them out there. The quadra-steer systems are reliable and didnt have any problems. Maybe just because there werent very many produced, or maybe because they actually are reliable, I dont know. Like I said, it all goes back to teh marketing thing and GM being GM (stupid)....

Dude did you read my post, I OWNED one. I destroyed mine, twice, first time it was the the hub and second time the pinion ate the ring and chipped about 7 teeth off. But when it work parking was nice, but I hated backing a trailer off w/ it, I turned it off.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

thats a rear axle problem, its dana's problem not delphi/q-steer...

ben
Old 08-25-2008, 12:49 AM

Well I drove the truck today and it is by far the best handling truck I have ever been in. Man this should be an option by all makers. A long bed megacab with this would be sweet.
My friend can't seem to make up his mind if he wants the truck or not. He is going to look at at few more trucks this week and then bring the wife to try it out.

Thanks for the input.

John
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Soon2BDiesel
Well I drove the truck today and it is by far the best handling truck I have ever been in. Man this should be an option by all makers. A long bed megacab with this would be sweet.
My friend can't seem to make up his mind if he wants the truck or not. He is going to look at at few more trucks this week and then bring the wife to try it out.

Thanks for the input.

John
Too many useless replies here . The quadrasteer is what makes him consider this truck and no Dodges have it . The quadrasteer failed as an option because of its expense . It would be a good investment if someone intended to put it to use . If they didn't really need it then yeah , consider another truck .
Old 08-25-2008, 12:47 PM

thats a rear axle problem, its dana's problem not delphi/q-steer...

ben
According to GM the hub problem was caused by the steering (didnt get ino it they told me sorry and that they are covering the bill so I didnt ask any more questions), but the ring and pinion, well that wasnt
Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Chapter President

I worked at a dealer and spoke with a guy who owned one. Said they had worked on his several times because it was screwing up and did this and that and it still did not work right. Been several nights of sleep since I talked to him so not sure what was going on with it. I worked on cadillacs so I was glad it was at a different dealer to be worked on.

The 6.0 was a great engine. On the caddy's we rarely did anything to them. Mostly batterys, clean throttle plates. Had a/c door issues under the dash, the recirc door motor gave troubles and that one was a ***** to replace.....if you did it according to how gm wanted you to do it, pull the dash. Luckily I discoverd a way to do it in about 45 minutes, good warranty gravey job, thanks gm.

In the dealer, first hand I have seen some issues with the front ends, ring and pinion failures, not as much on the rear ends, but the other guy in the shop who was our drivetrain guy(trannies/differentials) I've seen him doing several of those, but he was in the front shop, me in the back shop, but I have seen him pulling out the gearset from time to time. I think we had some repeat things as far as air conditioning goes, pressure switch on the line on the passenger side would poop out, simple fix, remove and replace. I've also seen problems with the temp sensor on the front, this is for the inside temp monitor, they would read out of wack and we'd have to relocate them, according to gm's bulletin.

For the most part and in comparison to the cadillac catera(can think of other things to call it) they were very good. Gas mileage.....hmmmmm, good luck that 6.0 is a thirsty bugger.

Oh, and if they have an entertainment system installed, make sure they don't put it under the driver seat and use 2 1/2" wood screws to secure it to the floor. Big wire harness under there and when you hit the wires for the airbag it makes it do all kinds of things. One of many "custom installer" jobs that I ended up troubleshooting under warranty.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:43 PM

here we go again. More BS made up paranoia-based stories from a friend of a uncle whos a service writer.

your VP44 is way more likely to fail than the quadra-steer system.

Th quadra-steer system is MECHANICALLY self centering. You could have everything electrical/computerized fail/diosconnected, and it will revert to CENTER via a spring. I mean come on with a design on something like this that could put many lives at risk, dont you think Delphi would put a lot of fail-safes in it? Its NO MORE a liability than something failing in a conventional front steering system.

sheesh I was waiting to see how long it would take to see a post like this.

I will admit it took longer than I thought.

Sorry to come off like an ##%, but this is exactly the type of things that give q-steer a bad rep, and it just makes me mad.

ben
it may be mechaniclly self centering but they are electricly controlled so if the computer get a false signal that the vehicle is turning when its really not it will turn those wheels
Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

it may be mechaniclly self centering but they are electricly controlled so if the computer get a false signal that the vehicle is turning when its really not it will turn those wheels
again, paranoia is taking over and people are assuming.

We should also drive all of our electronic throttle controled vehicles (drive by wire) in constant fear that the computer might "get a false signal" and make the engine run away.

How many times do you hear of that happening?

With something as critical is steering on a vehicle, there are multiple sensors that all read the same thing, multiple steering wheel position sensors, speed sensors, rear rack position sensors.

Find me one accident/injury report caused by quadra-steer "messing up".......

Ben
Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
Oh, and if they have an entertainment system installed, make sure they don't put it under the driver seat and use 2 1/2" wood screws to secure it to the floor. Big wire harness under there and when you hit the wires for the airbag it makes it do all kinds of things. One of many "custom installer" jobs that I ended up troubleshooting under warranty.

Good old warranty work...