Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

cell phone service

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cell phone service

I am with AT&T now, but have been having some MAJOR issues lately. I bought an aircard through them so I could upload video to a client and was getting 8kbs a second. EIGHT!!! thats SLOW...I need an aircard that works. I also dont get cell service at the inlaws in MN, and thats a huge downer too. so I am about to test an aircard with verizon, and am pretty much sold on just changing out my whole cell phone plan too. anyone have any experience with verizon? is it a wise choice just to switch everything over to them?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 PM

I am with Verizon, can't really say I'm particularly thrilled with their customer service (but from what I gather, they're all just as bad). However, they had the coverage where I needed it so I have been with them. Don't do any data transfers though, so I can't help you on that one.
mishkaya
Old 08-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With Verizon....have two USB modems and 5 phones.....no problems .......CS sucks with all of them.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 PM

I am with spint and I use my phone as a modem when I am traveling if needed. It is alright for being mobile. I have never had a problem with no service. Also sprint is $99.00 a month unlimited everything (data, long distance, no roaming, text...) if that helps you with your choice.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:31 PM

I've had sprint for 9 years now and have an excellent plan, HOWEVER where live, their signal straight SUCKS. I think it has actually gotten worse over the past 2 years. Another thing with Sprint is that they are always trying to sell me something I already have. I have internet, pics, vid, texts all unlimited, yet they try to sell me each one "for just 5 bux a month" Then when you tell them you already have it, they try to argue with ya. Seems like I go through this EVERY time i speak with them.

That and the fact that I have 3 phones all with the same last 4 digits of the phone number and they always refer to the "number in question" by the last 4 digits. then when I tell them they all have the same numbers I always get the " WOW...Howd you manage that !?!?"

IDIOTS
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
With Verizon....have two USB modems and 5 phones.....no problems .......CS sucks with all of them.
do you know what kind of upload speeds you have been getting?

I like the price of sprints plan, but I had nextel (which is sprint now) before I switched to AT&T, and they really scared me, signal was terrible, phones were bad, service was awfull as well. I really like the idea of having service pretty much everywhere I go though, and so far it seems verizon is the choice, but it all really hinges on this aircard. I am getting the test model on wednesday, so I will keep my fingers crossed it is as good as advertised.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

I'll check. I had Nextell before I went with Verizon. The push to talk was more reliable than the phones with Nextell. I could usually speak with someone in Pheonix like they were next to me, but that was with the push to talk, the phone usually would drop the call.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:32 PM

I'm using a sprint card right now @230kbps. It's even faster near more populated areas. (I'm in the sticks). Its a Sprint Novatel Wireless Ovation U727. I've used cards for the past few years for work, and the coverage and cards have gotten better. This ones almost as fast as home. I've also got nextel, which I'll be changing soon, but the card is staying. It cost about $70 a month.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 87BRGN
I'm using a sprint card right now @230kbps. It's even faster near more populated areas. (I'm in the sticks). Its a Sprint Novatel Wireless Ovation U727. I've used cards for the past few years for work, and the coverage and cards have gotten better. This ones almost as fast as home. I've also got nextel, which I'll be changing soon, but the card is staying. It cost about $70 a month.
and thats upload right? I still cant believe that in a populated area like des moines, I was only getting 8kbs for upload, and something like 100kbs for download, it was ridiculous. I have heard that, really, the battle is between sprint and verizon. verizon just seems like it has more coverage between IA, and MN.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 PM

Sorry,that is download. I need to upload video later. I'll check the speed and post back.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 PM

awesome. thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Banned

download 800kbps upload up tp 1.4 mbps....broadband high speed.....I too live in the sticks....nation wide access....storage included.....special on the internet right now......free w/ rebate.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 PM

thats what you are getting for uploads! awesome. sounds like verizon is the right choice!

thanks!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 AM
Banned

That is what I was told & advertised.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM

I just uploaded video at 54 kbs. Sprint has my card advertised to upload at 1.4mbs also. I just havn't seen it yet... Maybe near the city.

Quick Reply: cell phone service