Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

CB radio guidance needed quickly

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB radio guidance needed quickly

My wife is now driving a brand new Ford OTR tractor that is in need of certain things to be properly optioned. She is going to drag it home this weekend and one thing she wants is a good CB installed ASAP (which means sometime between noon Saturday and noon Sunday - her schedule sucks right now).

What I need to know is what are good/better/best makes and antenna info. Not sure until I see the beast where the antenna mount might be able to be installed but I could use guidance on that, too.

What is better quarter-/half-/or full-wave mast? What is best way to tune one? Are two whips better than one? Doubt it will get an amp any time soon but what do I need to look at for that eventuality?

This info will also be aplied to my 96 CTD as well as my 74 Scout that will be back on the road soon.

Any guidance/words of wisdom appreciated. You can use technical terms if it helps - I am an IE/EE lab rat but have been away from radios for a while. TIA.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:47 AM

Re:CB radio guidance needed quickly

I enjoy playing around with CB's on my road trips. It makes the drive a little more interesting and you can really find out about what’s going on out there. I have always used CBs temporarily in my past trucks and used a cheap mag mount antenna. Worked ok, but not great. I just purchased a Cobra 29 Wx Nw St. I put a cigarette adapter on it, I am still debating if i want to permanently mount it. I am currently using a little <30 inch cobra mag mount with wx band. I just installed the setup last night, so I am not sure how well it works yet. I am heading to Denver tonight from Houston, so I should get a good idea then.
I am looking at getting a Wilson 1000 mag mount, its about 62 inches tall with weather---I just have to find a truck stop that sells it between Houston and Denver. Firestick makes good antennas with a variety of mounts. Best thing i have heard for tuning is to take it to a CB shop and pay $10 and let them tweak it.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:16 AM

Don't now about your neighborhood but bound to be a good cb shop around and they can help with direction on products
Old 08-27-2003, 11:32 AM

I'll just go track down Jack sometime - I know he knows his stuff and he is close by.

HEY JACK - WHATCHA DOING THIS WEEKEND?????