Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Are CARMAX ads just "fear mongering" improbablities?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are CARMAX ads just "fear mongering" improbablities?

they are really pulling deep on their ads, they say:

"i got my kid a car, and a 18 wheeler went by, and BLEW the windshield out, i put my BABY BOY in a SALVAGE car."

and there is another one about something else, just as whiny and unlikely to happen.

this probably happened ONCE, and they play it like every car that ever had a salvage title is a rolling time bomb.

are we too stupid to trust ourself, and we need Big Brother to take away our guns, speed govern our cars, and check the VIN before we buy a econo-box??

is there no personal responsibility?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
they are really pulling deep on their ads, they say:

"i got my kid a car, and a 18 wheeler went by, and BLEW the windshield out, i put my BABY BOY in a SALVAGE car."

and there is another one about something else, just as whiny and unlikely to happen.

this probably happened ONCE, and they play it like every car that ever had a salvage title is a rolling time bomb.

are we too stupid to trust ourself, and we need Big Brother to take away our guns, speed govern our cars, and check the VIN before we buy a econo-box??

is there no personal responsibility?
You hit it... we are too stupid to make our own decisions.

they make their money playing on fears just like the news channels.

I wouldn't buy a known salvage vehicle. I dont think I would buy another used vehicle either.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:15 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's an ad, of course they are going to exaggerate and play to fear.

I would buy a salvage vehicle if the price was right and I liked the way the work was done. I will NEVER buy a new car, that is flushing about a third of the money down the toilet.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 PM

I have never owned a new vehicle and alot of vehicles I have owned have been "salvage". Of course I saw them before the repair and did the repair, or knew of it, if done right the 50% or more off you pay is the big deal. There are to many variables to say that all salvage are bad, there are ones I wouldn't touch. I have to also say what makes you so sure any vehicle you look at hasn't had significant damage repair. Many "clean title" cars for sale have been in accidents or had significant repairs. I once had a clean title car that had obviously been side swiped and had a bunch of body filler in the door and quarter panel. The end answer is you may never actually know, the differance between what becomes a salvage vehicle and what gets repaired may be just a couple of hundred dollars or what mood the insurance company was in. In the end any vehicle is a risky expense (we buy Dodges knowing the balljoints suck, poeple buy Chevs knowing the brakes are garbage) new car dealers get us with huge depreciation and denying whats in warranty or neglect telling us that repairs are under a recall, and used car dealers sell junk that other people got rid of for a reason. One thing i feel when I buy a salvage vehicle to repair is that car is for sale for that reason. I buy a used car and I all ways wonder why did or do they want to get rid of it, is the tranny going, did they fill the oil with heavy weight because the bearings are shot, etc.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
stay away from carmax I bought a honda civic from them, it has tons of problems ,was in a wreck, and I found dried mud in the doors a year after i bought it .I think it was in a flood and the title was washed along with the car . I would never buy another car from them . MY fault I thought It was safe with only 50k on the car . when ever i buy a car from anyone else I check it over real good.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Mileage has nothing to do with it in reality I've seen a bunch of cars totaled with under 1,000 miles. Especially flood vehicles, some of those have never seen water and are deemed a flood vehicle because they total every vehicle in an area as flooded but some never get touched, then there are those that were totally under. Unfortunately caveat emptor applies especially to vehicles and may be worse as people try to get bargains (with the economy and the unscrupulous also prey on that).
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 AM

i work for the goverment and our first 3 weeks of training is on how stupid u all are and how we can sheep herd you into paying 5 bucks a gallon to drive your trucks and pay almost half your income in taxes, then turn around and give your hard earned money to the most lazy no good chit bags we find. yep im in the goverment and thats how we roll.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by defabshopweldin
the differance between what becomes a salvage vehicle and what gets repaired may be just a couple of hundred dollars or what mood the insurance company was in. In the end any vehicle is a risky expense
i had a car that was "back halved" because i owed too much on it for the insurance company to pay it off.

it was cheaper to back half it than to pay it off.

so i went to the shop doing it, and checked on it every few days.

and i wrecked it REAL HARD about 3 years later.

i drove 8 years total, great car, no worse for the repairs.

the next owner wrecked it (tiny amount) the day after he bought it.

Originally Posted by 82NDSNPR
yep im in the goverment and thats how we roll.

i DO work with the Gov't, and it's amazing the stuff we "have" to do to keep the funds flowing. our GOv't business model is crazy.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM

I have had 2 salvage cars a 95 dakota that had to have the right side of the cab clipped, a friend of mine did the work, and my wifes 2007 charger and both have given me no problems. If I do the work of know the person that did the work then I have no problem with it.
Attached Thumbnails Are CARMAX ads just "fear mongering" improbablities?-676735-4.jpg   Are CARMAX ads just "fear mongering" improbablities?-mvc-008f.jpg   Are CARMAX ads just "fear mongering" improbablities?-dscn0573.jpg   Are CARMAX ads just "fear mongering" improbablities?-dscn0572.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:31 AM

when i grew in shelby NC, that was all everyone did, was buy auction cars, and chop them back together.

i never understood why there were so many guys doing that at thier house as a primary job. but it was real common.

one guy over near Mooresboro had a field of cars, and 3 bays working.
wife cut hair in same building in a little beauty parlor.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Between my wife and myself, we have put well over 300,000 miles on various salvage title vehicles over the years with virtually now problems that I would attribute to the salvage repairs. I own one currently and won't hesitate to buy another. Know your builder though. Look for quality work and someone who has been in the business of doing re-builders for a while. That or do the work your self so you know what you have.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 PM

It is also good to see the car before it is fixed that way you have first hand knowledge of the damage. I am currently looking for a Jeep Wrangler to fix up.