Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Car of the year.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Car of the year.

Wow, the new Chrysler 300 is North American car of the year. Nice going. Sure drives nice.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was reading the write up that C&D did on it in their 10-Best issue. The commented in a sort of luke-warm way on the styling. I fully admit that Chrysler has the most provocative designs on the road today and the new 300 NEVER fails to turn my head. It is one cool looking ride. And this month's issue with the new Firepower! (Ok.. So the names need work...) and the current Cross Fire, they have some awesome designs.
I think the only design I don't care for in particular is the new Durango.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 PM

and Dakota, cuz its the same look. JMO tho...

Dom
Old 01-11-2005, 07:13 PM

Back to the 300, especially the 300C. I have in my hand a 2005 300 brochure. There's a Deep Lava Red Metallic and a Midnight Blue Pearl that I have not seen on the lot yet. The only white is Vanilla (not pearl or metallic). And what I think is worst, the available interior colors of the 'C' are Light Almond or Medium Gray; that's all. To be a "top-of-the-line" competitor and a Car-of-the-Year it doesn’t have much going for it except that half the cylinders deactivate.
Nat
Old 01-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Us Canucks can build some nice stuff eh?

Old 01-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Most of the manufacturers have cut back on interior color availability. Picking rather neutral shades, two or three, that will go with most any exterior color.

I saw the red 300 - - looked pretty sharp. That new Corvette is hot - - back with a 427 ci engine - - 0 - 60 in under 4 seconds. The new Shelby, hand polished aluminum - - wow is that nice. That should be easy to keep up
Old 01-11-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by FiverBob
Most of the manufacturers have cut back on interior color availability. Picking rather neutral shades, two or three, that will go with most any exterior color.
Yes they have, I wonder why? Which American auto mfgr is gonna buck the trend and once again offer some color? Maybe when labor costs are cheaper? Like when they're made in China perhaps? Since expensive Mercs and BMW offer only gray and almond I should forget it I guess. (There I go again with my ranting. Sorry)
Back to subject. Let me pick one domestic competitor of the 300C, the Lincoln LS. It seems to be about the same size, weight, performance, and price. What colors (interior and exterior) are offered in the Lincoln LS? Since I don't have a LS brochure maybe someone out there does or else owns one. Are they all gray or almond too? I hope not. I'm hopeful when the 300 SRT-8 becomes available to see more interior and exterior color swatches. Is that asking too much? After all it's gonna list at $54K and gets hit with a $3000 gas guzzler tax. Maybe since it's domestic, the government will skip that particular tax.
Nat
On edit I went to Lincoln.com and discovered only interior colors offered on the LS; black and gray.
Originally posted by FiverBob
That new Corvette is hot - - back with a 427 ci engine - - 0 - 60 in under 4 seconds.
Are you already seeing convertible '06 Vettes in Florida? At least GM does still offer a red leather interior on those don't they?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:36 AM

Only new vettes I have seen are hardtops so far. I am sure the converts are around, just haven't seen them. Sharp looking cars. I guess I will not try to run one with my Porsche - - don't think mine will keep up. Bummer. My son's probably would - - 325 HP 911 engine in a little 914 - - wow.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Banned

The new Z06 has the all aluminum 427 with 500 hp. It's going to be a very, very, very sick car. It weighs in a 3150. Only problem is that projected price is somewhere between 65k-75k.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigBlue
The new Z06 has the all aluminum 427 with 500 hp. It's going to be a very, very, very sick car. It weighs in a 3150. Only problem is that projected price is somewhere between 65k-75k.

That price isnt that bad compared to all the other real"muscle" out there.
I havent seen the test reports but it should flat out, out steer/out brake and out accelerate the Viper. I hope GM dosent do the same goofy crap that Ford did to the Mustang( computer moniters RW slipage and DEFUELS acordingly) what kind of muscle car cant smoke the tires? I have owned and driven many of GMs 425/430/435HP 427s of the 66-69 era and have 3 things to say about a 427 Vette "OH YAH BABY" I wonder if I can find a dealer willing to let me drive one?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

Actually, on the base C6, they have something called Torque Management and it absolutely KILLS the top end. It pulls almost all timing at full throttle. A bunch of companies are trying to find a way to cancel it. The new z06 isn't at dealer's yet, at least I don't think so. It's designed to flat out beat the viper and put a hurting on the Ford GT. Needless to say, it's gonna be sick and I can't wait.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new Vette's are also the best looking ever, in my opinion.

You say that it can beat the Ford GT? Isn't it about half the price of the Ford GT?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want the Chrysler Firepower!

MikeyB
Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 AM

Ahhh!!!! I remember whipping up on a couple of 427 Vettes at the track with my 68 Road Runner 440. I remember one time we were waiting to get into the track and the trailer in front of me a had a tubbed 427 Camaro that was just set up for full race and he had a license plate frame that said "I eat Fords and #### Mopars" I thought to myself 'Wow, I hope I don't have to line up against him where he can prove that!" Well as luck would have it I did line up next to him in my all steel, completely stock suspension, stock bottom end 440 (w/ NOS ), and Used NASCAR type tires instead of real slicks because I was too cheap to buy them. Well, the lights came down and I proceeded to lay the smack down on him and got him by a couple of car lengths. From that day on I was never intimidated by another street car again.. My RR was a 10 second car by the way..
Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 AM

I put the hammer down on my buddies Super Bee one time - - it was a case of trying to keep my head from looking at the roof and holding that stupid thing on the road - - the whole body lifted up and it felt like you could spin the wheel from lock to lock and never change the direction. Wow, what a feeling.

Quick Reply: Car of the year.