Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Can't catch a break...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's Judge Judy when you need her.

Not that I have gotten a lot of tickets in my life (about 4 before I was 18 and 3 in the last 30 years) the tickets have always had a court date for you to contest the ticket Typically 2 weeks from the date of the ticket. It would take the court all of 2 minutes to action the ticket by dropping it, levy fines or defer to a trail date.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grantx5
Let me get this straight, "their clerical error (more so the troopers very sloppy writing)" is at fault here not the fact that you caused an accident. Correct?

Here's a tough lesson to learn, "You are responsible for everything you do." It is not the court's responsibility or the cop's to make sure you know everything, it's yours. As my dad would say, "if you don't take responsibility for your life, someone else will." As you can see, this is happening to you.

I am not saying this to give you a hard time just hoping you will learn and not repeat the same mistake(s) twice. It's your life, take control of it. Get busy taking responsibility and fixed what's broken. You might be surprised at the court's (judge's) reaction when he/she your new attitude.
Mr. Perfect,
Where did I say that I am not responsible for my actions? I signed the ticket, I admit guilt in the situation, it is in the hands of the state and court to notify ME when my trial/hearing is. They failed to do so because they didn't get my correct address from the officer.

As for your attitude, you can shove it for all I care, one can only hope to be as perfect as you some day.

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
"On all my previous tickets" kinda gather there's a trend here? I know we all like to play in our trucks and I have to agree with grantx5. In 20 years I got 1 ticket for laying rubber....I was dumb.

Sounds like your in for a bunch of heartache and pain in the backside, maybe this will be the moment in time you go from "all my previous tickets" to " I don't want anymore tickets".

I hope it works out for ya and not trying to be an a-hole towards ya but we are all at fault for our mistakes, some people are lucky and just don't get caught. I still do things from time to time....it's knowing where you can do it.

Again where am I saying I am not at fault for the ticket/accident. If I was as perfect as everyone here, I wouldn't visit this site since I'd be better than everyone. I don't complain if I get caught doing something wrong, but when the state screws up, and thats NOT MY FAULT, but it causes me grief, I came here to vent and I get judged by some "better than thou" folks...

Now I know why I hardly visit this site anymore.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:28 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Wow, how does THAT work out? How do you know what the court's schedule is for any given day? It isn't possible to court date a citation in Massachusetts. The courts do all their own scheduling and there's STILL a billion people waiting for their hearings to start at any point in time. I can't imagine what would happen if all the officers in the Commonwealth started putting court dates right on the citations! (might be fun to watch at the court tho!)
It works out great. MOST states do it this way and have no issues because they have learned how to schedule ahead of time. I have never seen an issue with it yet, anyways.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:32 AM
DTR Founder

Getblown,

Was the address on your license and registration correct? Every time I stop someone :I ask if it's correct. If not, then I get the new one. Either way, if they have an old address for you, it's also your responsibility to get that corrected. I would suggest calling the court, telling them what happened and see if you can get the court date moved.

It is your responsibility to make sure your address is correct with DMV. They used whatever you gave them (license info and registration). Before you go to court, I would make sure that's in order as well. If everything is okay with insurance (insurance companies have paid), maybe they'll drop it for ya.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel_Storm
why are people jumping his case about tickets? all he said was "on all my previous tickets" not something like "on all my previous 10 tickets". maybe he has has only 3 tickets?

he is not saying he is not at fault for the tickets, he is merely saying that the court screwed up by not sending him his notice to appear. therefore, he now has a suspended license and has to get a new court date.

"Do not judge, lest ye be judged also"

on all my previous tickets, (i have been to court for 1 ticket) the cop has always showed up for court and i never got off.
At least someone understand i posted this as a rant and not so i can be judged. I guess if I want to take full responsibility I need to write my own ticket for the cop, then turn it in to the court, then go work at the court office so I can make sure the ticket is deciphered properly and entered into the system, then maybe I can go on down to the post office and hand deliver the mail to own mailbox to make sure I am responsible for my actions.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Getblown,

Was the address on your license and registration correct? Every time I stop someone :I ask if it's correct. If not, then I get the new one. Either way, if they have an old address for you, it's also your responsibility to get that corrected. I would suggest calling the court, telling them what happened and see if you can get the court date moved.

It is your responsibility to make sure your address is correct with DMV. They used whatever you gave them (license info and registration). Before you go to court, I would make sure that's in order as well. If everything is okay with insurance (insurance companies have paid), maybe they'll drop it for ya.
In my hand I am holding my ticket with my address on it. I have lived in the same house for 22 years (I await my set of judgments from the disciples above to tell me I am too old to be still be living at home). The officers hand writing is not legible on the ticket, my street name is Marie, and the ticket looks to read Mark (i and e combined to make a sloppy K). When I called the courthouse they asked to verify my address and they have it as MARK. This is when I get the thorn in my side of paying my fine up front in order to get a rescheduled date, and for the FTA my license is technically on a temporary suspension.

The worst part is that my soundex/DL number is there, they could have looked it up and got the proper address since the ticket is not legible, but someone never took the time to do so, and I guess thats my fault somehow.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
DTR Founder

Yep, not cool. I always try to write neat on mine for that reason. Don't want to get it confused. I have to be honest with you. I don't know anything about the court system up there but to me, it all sounds strange. I can't imagine having to pay a fine up front before you have a chance to be heard unless you choose to do so.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Yep, not cool. I always try to write neat on mine for that reason. Don't want to get it confused. I have to be honest with you. I don't know anything about the court system up there but to me, it all sounds strange. I can't imagine having to pay a fine up front before you have a chance to be heard unless you choose to do so.
I had two options:

1. Write a letter explaining the clerical error and requesting my new court date, which can be granted or denied, and even if it is granted I still have the FTA, and a suspended license until the result of my new court date.

2. Pay the fine up front as collateral, as part of my request for the new date. This way I am guaranteed a new trial, and if the charge is dropped, I get my money back. Also by posting the fine, the suspension of my license, (tho its set in motion by the FTA) is pretty much null and void.

This is how my LEO friend explained it to me after I called the court.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It frustrating dealing with anything regarding court systems or the government for that matter. It took me re-reading the drop off slip for a package 3 times before I understood what I was suppose to do... Check this box, but see reverse side to see if you have to sign blah blah...

I hope you get it worked out. By the way, you're too old to be living at home.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 PM

TJ, people who understand what kind of a guy you are and where you are coming from, the actions of the lazy people in this world screw over the rest of us. doesnt matter if it is a person that doesnt feel like getting up to serve a purpose each day or the person that wont take the time to complete their job properly. hope it all works out for you TJ.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:25 PM

Tj

Dont take any of the "richards" on here. Especiaaly the ones that dont live in MD. Try going overseas and getting shot at for your country and getting home 4 months later to find out you got a 730 dollar fine because you didnt turn in your tags and continue insurance. Boy was i ******!!! For the most part these other people need only deal with the MD govt. and they would understand. I guess I'll see you on the other site..LOL
Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never ever seen one without a court date on it.
Not how they do it up here. You have pass the date in which you can just pay the fine, that is when the actually set the date for you.

The only address they should have on file is the one on his license, and/or address change card. If that wasn't the address he lives at, then that is going to be his fault.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by biggerkin
Try going overseas and getting shot at for your country and getting home 4 months later to find out you got a 730 dollar fine because you didnt turn in your tags and continue insurance. Boy was i ******!!!

Tell me they did not push that one......... PLEASE?

I would have went ape, and they would have had to explain why a returning VET was in the county jail for smacking someone.

Tell me they saw how ludicrous that one was and dropped the issue after issuing you an apology.........
Old 12-16-2007, 08:35 PM

ummm, never had a ticket, written & issued several hundred though! We always have a court date on our summonses.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

if you are not a maryland state trooper, please stop posting that the date is on the ticket, because it doesn't work that way in maryland.

for what its also worth i am not criticizing LEO's, just that this officer's handwriting is too sloppy to read, the court clerk (whoever put me in the system when the officer turned in his copy) couldn't read it, and now im left with load of BS to deal with.

Quick Reply: Can't catch a break...