Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

canadian fuel prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tate
Yup, and ice hockey is just known as hockey, and tuna fish is known as tuna. We already know its fish!
And to us an ink pen sounds like a fenced enclosure with bedding straw to keep inks in, like a pig pen.

And to us a garage is a gur-radge, not a guh-rawzh, and an envelope doesn't start with awn. We get bombarded with enough french already up here, those of us who speak english don't want to emulate them any more than they want to emulate us.

Funny story about accents. we get lots of tourists, hunters, fishermen and the like, up here from the US. Once a guy from the deep south somewhere was here with his slide-in camper that was old enough to have an icebox rather than a propane fridge. He was looking for block ice for his icebox (not sold up here btw, just cubed ice.) and asked one of the local natives, "Y'all know where a fella could get a piece o' ice 'round h'yar?" Well, the way he pronounced ice sound like something else (a**) to the native, so he said, "Well, you might try the bar, eh?" and walked off laughing his head off, thinking the guy would get stomped if he went to the bar trying to pick up local women.

Another time, another guy was wondering where to buy beer, and again asked a local. But the way he pronounced beer sounded like he was saying bear......the local responded, "go look in the busses" (they can't say the sh sound)
Old 07-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car
I thought canadian bacon was ham? what do you guys call bacon???
Nope, it's back bacon, from a different part of the pig., back vs side or belly. Sort of looks like small slices of ham though. comes with or without cornmeal. What you know as bacon, so do we.

from Wikepedia:

In the United States, back bacon is called Canadian-style bacon or Canadian bacon, but this term refers usually to the lean ovoid portion.[3] What the U.S. terms "Canadian bacon" is actually back bacon rolled in cornmeal.[citation needed] In Canada, it is called peameal bacon, whereas bacon is used generally to refer to strip bacon, which is more common to the Canadian diet.

But, I've never heard it called peameal, just cornmeal. We see it much more often without the cornmeal coating.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:21 PM

I travel around Canada & USA. The website i go to for gas or diesel prices is....www.gasbuddy.com
Old 07-12-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by stickler
Yup, when we hear canadian bacon. It usually gets met with a huh? and a semi-retarded stare cuz we haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Canadian bacon here would be bacon from a canadian pig, rather than imported US bacon from an American pig. But even that wouldn't be called American bacon, it would just be called expensive. Hehehe!

Same with canadian whiskey. To us it's just called whiskey or rye, and there is nothing else. That corn squeezins stuff you get down there is not fit for human consumption.....(just kidding, LOL!)

And we know what toques are too. And toboggans. Years ago I was down in Texas on a motorcycle trip, and one of the Texans I was riding with said he was gonna stop and put his toboggan on his head. I like to cracked up, thinking of him riding a Harley wearing a toboggan on his head. Turns out he was talking about a toque!

Diesel was 1.499 here the other day. $156 bucks and I still had 1/4 tank left.
So what is a "toque" and what is a "toboggan" in canada. Never heard of a toque here in texas and a toboggan is a knit cap we wear when it's cold (well cold for us-less than 40 degrees f.)
Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Chapter President

I think the toboggan our northern friend is talking about is the one you slide down snow covered hills on, at least my days growing up in western NY is what I know a toboggan as. Probably not something you'd see "deep in the heart of Texas".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toboggan

and for a picture.....

http://www.ntsled.com/

And this is why stickler was laughing hysterically thinking about his Texas friend wearing a toboggan on his head...that is a funny picture
Old 07-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Ahhh, thanks for the info on the bacon, see I was confuse couse when I was down in the states once I ordered some pizza and it was called canadian bacon and pineapple.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

In 1974 I just about got beat up in a bar outside of Teslin. Got to arguing about American Cheese with the fry cook. At that time they insisted that American Cheese was Cheddar (course its not really cheese at all but I like it on a burger).
Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by cbtumedic
So what is a "toque" and what is a "toboggan" in canada. Never heard of a toque here in texas and a toboggan is a knit cap we wear when it's cold (well cold for us-less than 40 degrees f.)
Dodgeguy71 has the toboggan right. Wooden (or aluminum) sled with the curved front.

A toque is a knit cap, often with a pom-pom on top, but not always, like what Bob & Doug Mckenzie wore on Great White North. What Texans call toboggans, and lots of others call stocking hats or navy types call watch caps.

I've travelled all over the US and never heard it called a toboggan anywhere but in south Texas.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by stickler
Dodgeguy71 has the toboggan right. Wooden (or aluminum) sled with the curved front.

A toque is a knit cap, often with a pom-pom on top, but not always, like what Bob & Doug Mckenzie wore on Great White North. What Texans call toboggans, and lots of others call stocking hats or navy types call watch caps.

I've travelled all over the US and never heard it called a toboggan anywhere but in south Texas.
Sounds like everyone else is getting it wrong then, lol, jk. I see, I actually learned something today, I kinda figured that the toboggan that was talked about earlier was the sled, but wanted to make sure. Thanks to all for clearing that up.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 PM

sorry guys, was gone a while fishin.

here is one of the bigger ones. the weather wasnt the greatest, and it slowed the fish down some, so we ONLY caught like 70 a piece the 5 days we were there they were all on the small side, with the biggest being 9 pounds. all northerns and walleyes.

this is the private lake we were fishing

Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 PM

I suppose we could really mix it up and talk about pountine, or french fries and gravy. While in France do you still order them as french fries. No i can't go on.

NICE FISH by the way. Looks like you had a good time.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by PowerDiesel44
I suppose we could really mix it up and talk about pountine, or french fries and gravy. While in France do you still order them as french fries. No i can't go on.

NICE FISH by the way. Looks like you had a good time.

haha, we went to a diner in armstrong station, Ontario, and poutine was on the menu...the guys I was with were asking what that was. it was fun explaining it to them.

the fish wasnt that long, but definately had some gerth to it huh? fun to fight for sure.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 AM

Ok i'm gonna bite since i'm a southerner through and through, what in the heck is poutine? Just gotta know.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 AM

Fries and gravy, with cheese curds in it. Its a french thing, I don't get it either. Fries and mayo, on the other hand, that I get!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by PowerDiesel44
Actually in France they're called pomme frites (fried potatoes....potatoes are pommes de terre, apples of the earth)

I doubt very much if they've ever heard of poutine.

Hey there's another good one, if you order chips with a sandwich or burger or whatever in Canada, you'll get fries, not bagged chips. That's just plain wrong! And most places there'll be vinegar on the table, that's to put on your fries. Oh and we call hot dogs hot dogs. Franks are more than man named Frank.

Quick Reply: canadian fuel prices