Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Canada what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada what do you think?

I have noticed that there are a number of very reasonable Canadians in these forums who I have had the pleasure of getting to know and I am curious as to how they feel about this war with Iraq. Now I know the Canadian Govt. doesnt really support it and I am tired of hearing the press tell us what other Governments dont support it and I want to know if what the Canadian Government says represents a majority of how Canadians feel. When it comes down to it arent we all Americans or North Americans... eh?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:38 AM

Re:Canada what do you think?

Although I am for the military action, it is still a tough question to answer. There are mixed emotions. It is difficult to see our two closest allies going into this while we sit on the sidelines. We are especially closely linked to England. We, of course, don't have the same ties as we use to; it was almost our duty to follow the British lead, as in the World Wars. I think the fact that our Prime Minister is French-Canadian certainly has an impact. Maybe we will join in at some time, afterall the USA didn't enter WWII for two years; although this won't go on nearly as long. I am very surprised that we have not at least joined the group of 35 or so nations who have "voiced" support for the action. Knowing that civilians have died, and more will, is hard to take, especially every time I look at my own children; but, at the risk of sounding cold-hearted, I think it's short term pain for long term gain for the majority. Iraq will be a better place and the world will be a safer place for my kids and your kids to live in...and that's the bottom line.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:44 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Apparently, 60% of Canadians don't support the war. I'm not exactly sure where or how the polls arrived at this number, as in the Free West, I have yet to talk to anyone who doesn't fully support what the US and Britain are doing.<br><br>On my side, I fully believe that the maniac in Iraq needs to be removed from power by whatever means necessary, and, while its easy to say as I'm not the guy getting shot at, I feel Canadian troops should be in it with the rest of coalition.<br><br>Rod
Old 03-27-2003, 04:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a western canadian I am sick and tired of that pos back east telling us what we think. War is never a answer!!! for our goverment to sit on its *** and not help is embarrassing.The prolbem we have in our western provinces is that we do not carrey enought seats to elect a federal goverment that we would like. The election is allready decided in Ontairo and quebec before the west has a chance to vote! We have more of a DICTATORSHIP than a democracy? but still have feedom of speach sorry this subject realy gets me going
Old 03-27-2003, 06:35 AM

Well said DieselBuilder. It is true that 2 provinces (Ontario + Quebec) have enough population to elect both the government and the opposition.<br>I am not a war monger, but I do support military action against Saddam. I disagree with my government's stand. Why we do not support our neighbor in their time of need: That I can not understand.<br>May God bless the USA and all the men and women who are in uniform. May he give wisdom to the President and his advisers.<br>John
Old 03-27-2003, 07:27 AM

I just hope you don't judge us all by our useless PM we have here! Trust me were not all happy with our government they have made us all look like a bunch of A-holes now! Trust me we do not all think like him.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:46 AM

Does anyone actually know anyone that has ever been polled? ??? : I know I haven't... so I would love to know where they come up with these numbers...<br><br>Tony
Old 03-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Banned

My father and I (more my dad tho) follow the gov't stuff really close and he has told me that recent polls suggest over 60% of Canadians support the war on Iraq.(a recent demonstration in Ottawa, the capitol of Canada, had 5000 protesters out of a population of approx 800,000 people) You must remember that jean cretien (that joke of a prime minister) was only voted for by 34% of Canadians. The electoral system is so screwed up in Canada (because of the multiple parties) that having 34% of the vote elected a majority gov’t. Cretien is a disgrace to Canada, North America and all Canadians who did not vote for him. 20% of the population of Canada is french, yet the gov't rams bilingualism down the throats of everyone BUT the people living in quebec. (they are unillingual FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!)The gov't is full, FULL of unqualified people who speak both official languages but cannot do their job. Only reason they were hired over an English counterpart is because they can speak french. United States spends more money on video games than Canada spends on military spending!!!!! Yet they pile billions of dollars into bilingualism.(except in quebec) Canada does not have much equipment for a war, so their contribution would be minimal. Remember the friendly fire incident where 4 Canadian soldiers were killed? That has been replayed and replayed in the media and lawsuits go on and on. USAF pilots doing their best will make mistakes. This is war. I was born around Toronto and I am not proud to be a Canadian. Canada should be supporting its largest trading partner. Canada is a disgrace........<br>I feel better. (clunk, getting off the soapbox now)<br>
Old 03-27-2003, 08:18 AM

Hey, let's have a poll on who's never been polled. I've never been &quot;polled&quot;. Usually someone wanted to sell me something, never about my opinion on something.<br><br>The war monger comment. The US Military generally works under the concept of &quot;To Have Peace, you must be ready for War&quot;. I know that as a retired military member, I never considered myself as a war monger. My &quot;war&quot; was Vietnam. Early Vietnam. We went over in the firm belief that we were there to help stop the slaughter of the south Vietnamese. <br><br>Thanks to &quot;Hollywood&quot;, most everyone views the typical soldier as an Arnold, Claude or Lorenzo. The atypical &quot;war monger&quot; is actually the guy sitting in Baghdad using his own people as shields and on and on and on. <br><br>Jamie, when I was assigned to NORAD, I worked with and for many fine Canadian Forces officers and consequently know that your &quot;elected&quot; government officials do not represent your best interests. How would you like to be us? No matter what we do, we're vilified. Darned if we do, Darned if we don't. <br><br>~Dave
Old 03-27-2003, 09:16 AM

I agree with that damned if we do and damned if we dont!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:37 AM

I agree I support the war effort too .......

looks like canadian forces may be more involed than our gov't thinks they are any ways

story here

Old 03-27-2003, 10:08 AM

Hope you don't mind a non Canadian chiming in for a second. I think the vast majority of US citizens that can walk and breathe at the same time regard Canada as an extremely good friend and neighbor. The US has had LOTS of recent experience in being led by politicians that do not represent the &quot;normal&quot; american's view.<br><br>I don't think anyone doubts for a second that if it gets to crunch time Canada will be there providing whatever support is needed. I don't mean to say things aren't serious now but I think they are probably managable with the forces we have. It is nice to see that &quot;normal&quot; Canadian citizens have quite a bit in common with &quot;normal&quot; US citizens.<br><br>I also would not be the least bit suprised to find out that there are Canadian forces involved in &quot;training&quot; exercises around the world that cause them to be &quot;temporarily unavailable&quot; for immediate contact, if you know what I mean.<br><br>just an opinion from a &quot;normal&quot; American who's only involvement with polls are the ones that are open on election day.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:12 AM

Looks like our 'peace' activists also have an exchange program. Sounds much like the same rhetoric we hear down here.<br><br>I especially love the newspaper quote of:<br><br>&quot;We believe he has a mandate from the Canadian public and a responsibility under international law to make a strong statement condemning the war as illegal,&quot; said Vallie Stearns of Committee for Peace in Iraq.&quot;<br><br>A mandate??? Doesn't that imply a majority? Maybe it's a french word meaning, you'll do what we say or else!!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 12:23 PM

First of all the polls I'm sure are all conducted in Shawinigan Quebec (the home of our PM). I too know of nobody who has actually been polled. Nor do I know of anyone who has had their views published in the media.<br><br>I think that it probably is a 60/40 split but I'd put money that it's 60% FOR! I am in agreement that it's gotta be done. I am in agreement that Canada should be OFFICIALLY standing with you. There are a couple of guys getting a Pro-war rally going here in Alberta ... yes there's been anti-war rallies, but it always seems to be a very vocal minority. That's the one thing that minorities are very good at in Canada, voicing their opinions, which they wouldn't be able to do in Iraq.<br><br>I could rant for quite awhile on the subject of people immigrating to Canada and then badmouthing it when we go against what they had to tolerate in the country which they left ... if they don't like it then go back!<br><br>I think I'm starting to ramble <br><br>Simply put, we ARE there but not noticeably so. I wish that the government would outfit our military (of which I was once a member) so that we could be there more. Our hearts are over there. Our brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers are over there. <br><br>The part that scares my wife now and when Afghanistan flared up is that she knows if I am recalled I WILL be over there. I will not sit idly by relying on somebody else to stand up for what I believe in. It's a little thing called INTEGRITY.<br><br>Only He knows the outcome of all of this and only He knows what will come. When He calls me to do His bidding I will.<br><br>PRESENT ARMS, SHOULDER ARMS, GROUND ARMS, STAND AT EASE, STAND EASY.<br><br>Sorry for the length.<br><br>I now pass the soapbox to the next speaker.<br><br>
Old 03-27-2003, 12:32 PM

We should expect nothing more from a government that has wasted over a BILLION DOLLARS on a useless gun registry nad yet forces our service people to risk their lives flying fifty year old Sea King helicopters &gt;.

Quick Reply: Canada what do you think?