Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Can I weld my own custom sized on board air tank?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I weld my own custom sized on board air tank?

Im having a hard time finding a place to mount my an air tank under my truck. I thought it would be easier since I have a flatbed, but because of the built in tool boxes, it is limited. I need a 5-10g tank. I can weld. It will have a pressure switch cut off at 120 psi. Can I just get a piece of pipe, weld some ends on it, drill and tap holes in it as needed?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a good idea in my oppinion. if you weld flat plate on a piece of pipe you have pretty much reinvented the pipe bomb in my oppinion. Compressor tanks have round ends to distribute the load, flate plate would equate to 1000's of #'s of pressure on your welds (surface area in inches x 120# pressure = load on the end caps)
Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 AM

ok. I'll try something else. I have a big tank, probably 15 gallon. Just too big.
I'll go to semi truck junk yard and look for some thing.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Don't use flat plate, use some rounded caps. Thats what I did with my jeep bumpers. 6 inch pipe with 6 inch rounded caps welded on each end with a bung for the stem. That way I could air it up anywhere and just use my tire pressure gauge to not overfill it.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 PM

I got a portable air tank at home depot for around 20 bucks. 5 gallon i think, its not that big. can take measurement s if you need me to.

Tom
Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM

try the truck junk yard it will be easiest and probably cheapest way to go.
as stated earlier do not put flat ends on any type of pressure vessel the welds need to be pulled on not pushed on. also never drill/tap into the side of a tank always weld on a bung it reinforces the tank where the hole is and is less prone to causing a rupture in the tank
Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Or buy a 10 gallon propane tank. You then would have to plumb it for inlet and outlet.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roughstock
I'll go to semi truck junk yard and look for some thing.
That's where I got my aluminum tank...for $10! And, it fit between the frame rail and passenger doors!

Tony
Old 07-22-2008, 04:13 PM

how about a 80 cu ft dive cylinder? it usually has a 3/4 straight thread on it. You can pump them to alot and since you'll probably only have 120 psi in it, no big deal. only 6-7" in dia.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"You then would have to plumb it for inlet and outlet"

Not air. Just a single T on the top will be fine. Air will flow in and out of the same hole. Pump on one side of the T. Load on the other.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Here are some that might work and are pretty cheap as well.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...r&keyword=ATT1
Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
alwaysonDTR

i used an old oxygen tank one like they have in the hospital, small and aluminum
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 PM

scuba tank, oxy bottle off torches anything but i would not make your own unless your a b-pressure welder. also insurance might not cover anything not DOT approved. if theres an accident.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Do not try to weld your own air tank unless you are a certified welder or at least really confident you know how to weld boilers and pressure vessels, not being mean or anything.

You could find a pipeline welder welding a gas line somewhere and give him a case of beer and have him weld some 1” thick flanges onto the ends of your pipe for you.

I got my tank off from a semi tractor; I had gone to a wrecking yard years back and had loaded up on some air tanks, horns and parts to repair a truck I was working on.

I have mine installed under the body on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel, I welded a cradle to mount the round tank to the side of the frame rail.

Air tanks are also used on trailers for the air brakes and come in many sizes and shapes, they are overbuilt and will have a DOT/ICC stamp.

Wherever you mount yours make sure you have provisions for a drain valve at the bottom, rust is accelerated under pressure and your compressor will pump out a lot of moisture as it gets hot, also don't forget to install a Kingston valve in one of the taps.

If you get one from a semi-truck try to the Secondary tank and not the “wet” Primary tank in the system because if it had Bendix TuFlo compressor as they get older they pump out a lot of oil along with the air and the tank will be filled with sludge inside.
I have drained my share of slobbering wet tanks.
Jim
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Well, I didnt want to get rid of my spare tire underneather the truck. But in the interest of "being cool" I may try to mount the big tank I have under there. I would have a lot of air, but not sure if my compressor could keep up with it. I have to measure to find is volume first.
Thanks for the warning on building my own tank.
I went to the wrecking yard and they told me I could have any tank out there for $60-75. OUCH. Ive got neighbors who have tons of old machinery laying around. ill try there.
This project just got put on hold as the wifes Duramax had a wheel bearing hub assembly go out, and my 78 ford starter is quitting on me. So I need to get those road ready first.
Plus, I leave tonight for rodeos, Ive go one each night for the next three days, I'll be away from the shop for a bit.
I'll maybe get some picts up of my set up and compressor mount later.

Quick Reply: Can I weld my own custom sized on board air tank?