Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Came pretty close to being killed today.... House fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man I am glad to hear your company made to you guys in time with the line. it gets scary sometimes, especially when your not sure whats about to happen next. I hate to hear these stories from fellow brothers but it comes with the territory unfortunately. make sure you keep a partner with you and watch each others back. 4 eye are better than 2, even if you cant see through the smoke.

all ways remember this, "risk a little to save a little, risk alot to save alot."
Old 08-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man, my dad was caught in a flash once. gotta be pretty scary
good to hear u made it out. some of the guys from out volly station also run paid down in Washington DC and on fires with houses with barred windows the first thing they do is have a Junior stand ready with a hallingen bar encase something goes wrong and they have to come off. that and we have a winch we could always rip um off with.

Anyway glad ur ok.

I ran two calls today in 95 degree weather at 90% humidity. The best part was when the helicopter landed at an accident and gave us a breeze.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:15 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler

BTW i wonder who's gonna owe when someone comes in for shift and says....."i seen you on the monitor at the concert" in my book....thats as good as being in the paper or on TV.....ICE CREAM is on the menu!!!!!!!!!

NCA
Well we already got the call. We were on the big screen behind Alan Jackson so it looks like cake and ice cream next day.

Man, what a day.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:19 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Britt, glad to hear your ok, be carefull
Old 08-25-2007, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you are ok Britt! You never know when your number is going to come up, but thank goodness it wasn't today!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
My GOD Britt be careful, I am glad you are OK.
It is always the little one that will catch you with your pants down.
Glad you had someone watching over you and your crew today.

I know it is your job to run INTO a fire when we are running OUT and I really admire you for the work you do but you have two people who really need you to come home at the end of your shift.

Thank you all you guys and gals wherever you are, you cannot be paid enough for the service you provide.

Give Katelyn hugs.
Jim
Old 08-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Banned

glad your ok buddy. tell the pumper crew to be a little quicker next time and stop talking to all the girls when they get on scene....

pumpers boys get all the chicks

we are getting a new 100' pierce stick in a month or two, then truckies will be the ones getting all the chicks

brett
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 AM

Glad you made it out. Have several FF friends. Cleveland Ohio has some statures and memorials dedicated to the fire fighters.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Storm
man glad to hear you came out of that alright. its when i hear stories like that that worries me about becoming a FF, but for some reason i still want to.

then again its the guys who worry that are usually more alert to their surroundings.

they should outlaw bars over windows. wont ever find that on my house, i would rather be able to get out than keep some one out. thats why i have a shotgun.
it worrie me too, but whenever i see like a vid or something of FFs rushing into the building to fight the fire and save ppl,and how much everyone respects them, and of course it is a very popular thing to do around here, it jus makes me more and more eager to join up.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Be careful out there...

MikeyB
Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM

glad you made it out man, I feel ya on the heat. I've been where all I wanted to do was crawl under the carpet. I bet that is what you felt. Atleast no one was hurt. keep on truckin man, and be safe out there.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

britt

when i come up, do you want me to bring you one of my spare reed hoods?

brett
Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Glad you're alright Britt. Would've missed the pictures of that little girl growing up. Watching the news right noe on the balloon burning up. Can't imagine what it would be like.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Redleg
Can't imagine what it would be like.
HOT

brett
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Thanks everyone for all the comments. Truth be known, I left a bunch out of that original post. Most of the firefighters on here can read between the lines (rusty got real close… except for the girl part).

We just had another fire this afternoon and to be completely honest the last fire was in the back of my mind. I would be lying if I said it wasn't. Little kid lit off his bed and curtain in his room. Now the whole house is a mess and his room is completely destroyed. If you smoke, please don't leave your lighter laying around. I promise you, your kids know where you keep it. It’s almost as bad as a loaded gun and just as tempting.

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
britt

when i come up, do you want me to bring you one of my space reed hoods?

brett
That would be good but we can’t use anything that isn’t dept issued. Thanks anyway.

Take care everyone

Britt

Quick Reply: Came pretty close to being killed today.... House fire