Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Came pretty close to being killed today.... House fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came pretty close to being killed today.... House fire

Well…. I came close to being killed today.

Won’t go into too much detail but while doing a primary search of a structure, found the fire in the laundry room of the house but for some reason it took a while for the line to get back to where we were. By the time the line got back to us the fire had spread (very rapidly I might add) to the room that we were in and the room that was our only means of escape. Unfortunately all of the windows and doors had bars on them. At least we had a line. If it had not made it back to us when it did I don’t know what would have happened but I’m pretty sure that I wouldn’t be writing this post. I haven't felt heat like that in a long time (came real close to flashing) and I haven’t felt like I might die in a while but this was one of those times. Once we made it back out we all looked at each other like "that was close!". It’s funny, the smallest fires are the ones that turn on you in a heartbeat.

Hug your family guys. You're only here for a short time. Called my wife when we got back

Now that that is done, we had something interesting happen just a little while ago. Alan Jackson and Brooks & Dunn (admittedly I'm not a fan of either... don't like country music) are in concert here tonight. Apparently they have a film crew that goes around and films a montage to be played on the screen while he is singing one of his songs. Anyway, they came by today and filmed our truck and us standing in front of it. So I guess that I will be on the big screen at the Alan Jackson concert tonight.

It’s been a large day today and it isn’t even close to being half over.

Stay safe everyone.

Britt
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM

man glad to hear you came out of that alright. its when i hear stories like that that worries me about becoming a FF, but for some reason i still want to.

then again its the guys who worry that are usually more alert to their surroundings.

they should outlaw bars over windows. wont ever find that on my house, i would rather be able to get out than keep some one out. thats why i have a shotgun.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM

scary scary, thanks for what you do man! you guys dont get enough credit for putting your life on the line for others. thanks again stay safe.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned

Wow Britt.....glad you made it out of there man! I can only imagine the heat and the thoughts that went racing through your mind. Them fires can sure catch you by surprise!

Glad you're still with us though, give your wife and that little angel daughter of yours a great big hug when you get home!

~Nick
Old 08-24-2007, 04:31 PM

Thanks guys. It's the routine fires that usually catch you off guard. I don't want to say that you become complacent but you get so used to doing your job that sometimes it catches you with your pants down so to speak. This little fire was just a series of events that went from bad to worse in a very short amount of time. The whole time the Chief is calling on the radio telling us to get out of the structure and all I could think was "I would like too.. that is kind of high on my priority list at the moment". At least we'll have another good story to tell the new hires.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We had a fire in a pizza shop a couple months ago, it adjoined two other building, when we arrived we had heavy black smoke so I/C ordered us to the roof, (flat roof tar paper and gravel), i cut the hole and when we knocked the hole open the entire roof dropped 4-6 inch's violently, we thought we were gonner's, fire was coming out of the hole like a blow torch.

I'm glad you made it out of there Brit, I hear what you are saying loud and clear.

Stay safe my friend, Tim
Old 08-24-2007, 06:31 PM

Glad ya made it out ok. Nothing like a little "pucker factor" to get the heart pumpin' eh ?

Squeeze the family a little tighter tonight and know that tomorrow will be a better day.

PISTOL
Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 PM

Uh Britt,whose srtuctural are you wearing and,did you inspect it when you rehabed?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
Squeeze the family a little tighter tonight and know that tomorrow will be a better day.

PISTOL
Actually I would but I don't get off until 7:00 AM. My wife wanted me to call in sick the rest of the shift. But hey... you know what? Today was a pretty good day. I didn't die!

Tomorrow my parents are keeping Katelyn so I might do a little of this
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 PM

Glad your OK, thanks for your bravery and service.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is why we pray for you my friend.
Glad you are okay.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM

Britt, glad you and your crew are O.K. that's nasty stuff.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:41 PM

britt...glad to hear that story had a good ending....i absoutly agree that complaciency does not belong in the fire service....i personally never approach the situation with the "well, been here done that" attitude...because no two situations are ever the same....

BTW i wonder who's gonna owe when someone comes in for shift and says....."i seen you on the monitor at the concert" in my book....thats as good as being in the paper or on TV.....ICE CREAM is on the menu!!!!!!!!!

NCA
Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by t-15 firefighter
Thanks guys. It's the routine fires that usually catch you off guard. I don't want to say that you become complacent but you get so used to doing your job that sometimes it catches you with your pants down so to speak. This little fire was just a series of events that went from bad to worse in a very short amount of time. The whole time the Chief is calling on the radio telling us to get out of the structure and all I could think was "I would like too.. that is kind of high on my priority list at the moment". At least we'll have another good story to tell the new hires.
Our company is always talking about complacency during the safety meetings.
Complacency, rushing, mind not on task, and fatigue.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:21 PM

My lieutenant always used to say:
Bravery and selflessness are nice, but when push comes to shove, Im going home to see my kids at the end of my shift.

Theres been once or twice when I've come home and wanted to do nothing but hug my family. Glad to hear you made it out ok. I'd buy you a cold one myself if you were in town.

Quick Reply: Came pretty close to being killed today.... House fire