Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Calling all snowmobile afficionados...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all snowmobile afficionados...

I know there are alot of snowmobilers on the site.

I may be buying a sled this summer (off season for a good deal) and am wondering who makes the best snowmobile.

A friend of mine says it's common knowledge that Ski-Doo makes the best sled.

Any other opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DT.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM

What year sled do you plan on buying, a new left over or something used? Have you ridin before? In all actuality, all 4 brands are good. They all have there little issues, just like with anything that you buy. I run skidoos, but have riden Arctic cats and Polaris. I would say stay away from the RX 1, at least the first year they came out, i think 03, with the 4 stroke motor, very very heavy and take alot of body english to ride them on the trails. The fastes sleds are going to be triples, the Yamaha SRX and Viper are screamers along with the AC ZRT 600 and 800. What kind of riding do you want to do? I like to ride backcountry and trails so i got a hybrid sled,a cross between a mountain and trail sled. Make sure you look over the sled good and have someone who is familar with them go with you if you are not to check it out. There are alot of sleds that are ridden hard and put up wet. Snowmobiling is just as addicting as bombing the CTDs, they are a blast
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM

I personally ride a 1998 polaris xc 700. Have had it for over a year and have had no problems. 6600 miles one rebuild and it will still hang with the newer 700's. Most of my friends ride ski doo with no problems with them as well. A couple of those friends did run artic cat for a season but they got rid of them almost as fast as they bought them. Personal experiance would lead me to stay away from the arctic cats. Either way no matter what you ride its still a blast. Good luck on the search.
Evan
Old 03-05-2007, 09:04 PM

HUGE snomobiler here!
You want reliability? Buy Yamaha
You want resale value? Buy Yamaha
You want all out top speed? Buy a ski-doo Mach Z
You want a trail crusier with great comfort? Buy a Polaris with a M-10 Rear suspension.
You want a ditch-pounder able to handle big jumps and ask for more? Buy a Polaris Dragon.
If you want a good priced relabile fun sled? Buy anything in the 500cc class, from any manufacturer.
I have ridden them all, the only ones I really dont like is Artic Cats. But many have great luck with them to.
What exactly are you looking for? How fast you wanna go? How hard are you gonna pound through the rough trails? Are you gonna go off trail boondockin? Are you gonna ride in the mountains?
There is a sled for every single possibile scenario out there, you just gotta figure out what you are gonna do with your sled. Let me know for a suggestion.
Im not affliiated with any brand or dealer. Just a sled freak.
I own a 06 Yamaha Nytro, and 03 Polaris SuperSport as my back-up sled currently.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM

I have had good luck with both are sno pro and mountain arctic cats sled are dealership is always looking to help and have treated us well, My dad and sister both have polaris in there garages that wont start and are very moody. The biggest thing is what are you looking to do trail,mountains, ice etc ?? also check in your area they have open house where you can tech and ride new models ?? check out hardcoresledder.com there is usually tons of info and if theres a problem with a sled they post good luck, jr
Old 03-05-2007, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

It's been suggested to me that I buy a 2-up ~700. A good trail sled that will keep up with other like sleds.

The 4-stroke has been ruled out because of the later reason above.

I want something that handles well and has alot (not a ridiculous amount tho...) of speed.

I don't know why but these folks all like Ski-Doo the most.

I just checked out the Mach Z Ski-Doo on the web site. The video shows it only on straightaways, that's probably a bit too much power for me.

Also, not many people seem to like Arctic Cats.

I think I'm going to check out the Yamaha's next.

Keep the info coming!

Thanks again,

DT.