Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cali guys. Trailer title question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct. The trailer is registered and legal. Apparently they just don't always give you a copy of the title when you initially register it.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
If he has given me his trailer plus the amount of $$$ I am asking for then I am almost thinking about risking it because, as you just said, LEOs really don't seem to check trailer tags or inspections.
Dodge, just so you are clear, I meant he could re-Vin his 97 Dodge very easily and the LEOs would not be likely to check on it, leaving you with what would in essence be a worthless title.

Sorry, I don't trust very many people.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Yeah, I'm not very trusting either but If I have that cash in hand, his trailer, and a bill of sale then I'm really not all that worried about it. I would definitely check his registration to make sure there are no liens on it too.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Well, I hooked up my trailer and drove 50 miles to where this guy is staying. He told me his trailer had some "Bumps and bruises" which I took to mean that it may have a couple scrapes and dents. Well, it did have those but also big holes in the sheetmetal on both sides of the trailer that were duct taped to keep the water out. Plus the pigtail was all rigged up and looked terrible. I looked at it for a while and felt kind of obligated since he had booked more worked based on our phone conversation that we would do the deal. I reluctantly agreed and he left to go get the money. I kept looking at the damage to the trailer and also the tires he claimed were "New" which were really just new to the trailer and they were all dry-rotted. I asked myself "What the heck are you doing here!?!?!?" and closed my trailer back up and got out of there. I take care of my stuff and it was gonna cost me several hundred dollars to fix this thing up. I really don't feel like doing that though. I'm really glad I changed my mind.....
Now he is texting me wanting to buy it outright but I'm a little leary since he was acting like it was a big problem for him to get me the amount of cash he was offering with the trade. Buying it outright will take twice the cash.
I'd sure like the cash but he's gonna drive and meet me somewhere closer to my house if he wants this thing.

Oh, and you guys were definitely right. That title issue kept playing on my mind and was a huge factor in me beating feet. I just had plans for that $$$ and it was blinding me to the possible consequences of this deal...
Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM

Check his cash too. a mechanic here at work sold a car on CL and ended up with $500 out of 2K in bogus bills.