Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

CAD/drawing program for PC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAD/drawing program for PC

i have some plans for making some truck parts (spring hangers/shackles/mounts) that are not full scale, and measurements for given dimensions are given in decimals(4.91 inches). What program can i use to either redo these or convert the given measurements to fractional numerals. i would perfer to just start again, and end up with full scale drawings, that i can trace onto steel plate and physically mark where holes are supposed to end up, rather than measure them out manually?

I know someone must be into this stuff......
Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Usually, AutoCAD is drawn at actual size.
Then when it plotted, the drawing is scaled to fit the paper.

ETA: there are a few freeware cad programs on the internet. I cant vouch for how good or easy they are to use, I have had access to AutoCAD for about 10 years.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm a structural engineer and use a CAD(MicroStation) program all day long.. I'm a little confused on your question.

You have a set of drawings that are not to scale and all units are in decimal form. You'd like scale drawings in fraction form?? If you're going to trace the parts onto plate, I don't think fractions are worth the effort... you won't be able to manually cut the pieces to fractional tolerances. With a CAD package, fractions are easy enough and all you have to do is plot your drawings to scale it's just a matter of what it's worth to you.

I don't really know what's out there in the way of freeware to do what you want. "Seats" for most commercial CAD packages are farely pricey.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

depends on the tolerance of the drawing. We give our monkeys in the shop a 1/4" to play with on burnouts.
We also plot some stuff full sized they can cut out the shape and trace it in soap stone on the steel. This is usually done on complex arc or where the CL isn't on the steel.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Chapter President

Go to a local hardware store or a tool store. You can get a drill and tap chart or just a drill index chart and the conversions will be listed in order from smallest to largest. It will have the Fraction on one side and the decimal equivalent right next to it.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 AM

I have SolidWorks and it would be pretty easy to do this.

Here is a big tip. Cad programs are just a tool no different than a wrench. They may be intuitive but they do not do your design work. You do that and enter it into the program and it comes up up with a solid model. From there you have to layout the drawing page and enter the views you want. then you plot to what ever sige you want.

You will still have to make most measurements just as you would on a drawing board. If this is a one time thing just for you, I just go get a some drawing paper, a couple of triangles, a long aluminum scale, and a tee square and have at it.

I don't think you will find anything free that is worth the time to learn to use it.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM

I use AutoCAD and Microstation, but both are way too expensive for the casual user. I think AutoCAD LT is only a couple hundred dollars and is supposed to be a very capable program.

If all you have are a few drawings I'd be happy to draw them up for you.

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I used AutoCad, but only when they stick the bamboo under my fingernails. Generally I use GeneralCad, the replacement for GenericCadd. It is a full bore setup that is far easier to use than AC. 500 bucks takes you all the way.

There is no difference between drawn size and plotted size unless you tell it to.

I would also be willing to draw them up for you, what sizes are the parts?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could try Ac3d, its really easy to design things in, not sure if the scale is all that great for what u want though.

Also maybe Blender, its alittle difficult to learn, but u can design some very detailed things with it. And its free to download.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Do you the plans in a dwg, AI, or a dxf file?
Or are they just on paper?

I use auto cad and a routing program called Enroute for my cnc plasma cutting machine.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM

http://www.seoconsultants.com/charts/inches-decimal/

Scroll down a little, and you will see the chart. 4.92" = 4 29/32"

I'm a draftsman/designer, and if I didnt have access to AutoCad, then I would bust out my scale, and start laying it out. It's not that hard.

What are you going to be cutting the parts out with?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:13 PM

I think AutoCad LT is a good reasonably priced package to start with.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 PM

i will either be using a torch (i am pretty good), or a band saw to be cutting the parts with. I am not worried about getting the outside perimiter of the part; i can handle drawing a shape to given measurements.......i was more concerned about getting the holes that must be drilled in them in the fairly exact location.

so in asking, i guess i should have said that i was going to try to find a way to cut out the basic shape, and then lay a computer generated printout of the part over the peice i cut out, and mark the holes.........smellin what i'm cookin?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Torch and a bandsaw? Sweet! No need to waste time with a computer then. Just grab a speed square, and tape measure and knock it out. If you're pretty good with a torch this should be no step for a stepper.

If you really want to get technical with it, then take a scale and piece of grid paper and make you a template.

I do have access to CAD at the jobsite, but for stuff like this I am used to Po'Boyin' it.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Palmetto_kid
Torch and a bandsaw? Sweet! No need to waste time with a computer then. Just grab a speed square, and tape measure and knock it out. If you're pretty good with a torch this should be no step for a stepper.

If you really want to get technical with it, then take a scale and piece of grid paper and make you a template.

I do have access to CAD at the jobsite, but for stuff like this I am used to Po'Boyin' it.
Yep, layout is layout.

Quick Reply: CAD/drawing program for PC