Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Buying a truck out of state

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a truck out of state

I recently came across a nice truck in a neighboring state. Does anyone have experience with a car loan, or general purpose when going over state borders? I know our bank has an office in OH, not sure if that would help or not.

I know im prob gonna need the truck for collateral

Figures new lady at the bank has never done that before. judging by her answers, i bet she never wrote a loan before
Old 08-15-2005, 07:50 AM

My credit union takes my word on the vehicle and just wants to see it after all is said and done. Have done it MANY times (even 4 times through e-bay) and never had an issue. Keep your credit score high and ask for less than the vehicle books for (loan value) and you will be good to go.

If your not getting a great deal (around loan value or so), it may not be worth going to get. IMHO
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 AM

Never had trouble with our bank getting a loan on an out of state truck purchase. Your loan officer should know what to do, if not get one who does. The main thing is too make sure you have what you need to get the title transferred to your state. Call your local DMV and ask what is required for an out of state purchase.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:26 PM

I assume this is a used truck ? Bought my current ride out of state no prob at all . Tried buying truck in AZ while on vacation ,they tried charging me Az sales tax then I would have to pay tax again when I licensed in Mo !! Needless to say NO SALE !!!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:46 PM

as mixer said,,you will not pay taxes at purchase location,you will pay when you get your tag at home.if you trade on it,you should only pay taxes on the difference,not the whole amount.i had to go round and round about this when i bought mine,but i finally got them to see it my way....as for loan,i really dont think it would matter as long as your credit is good..........bama
Old 08-15-2005, 09:51 PM

It is a very straightforward process. your bank will know what to do. if the person you talked to didn't seem to know, ask someone else... that way you know they will tell you all you need to know and do.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The place I bought my truck from handled everything. Their bank did the loan at what I considered a fair rate a coupla days after checking out my application. I brought truck & papers home and paid sales tax in my state. There seems like there was a fee but part of that was sent back to me. I bought both of my Dodges in Kentucky for no particular reason, different dealers too.