Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Buying new kitchen stove. Any advice ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying new kitchen stove. Any advice ??

This great web site has been more than helpful for many of us this year..anything from fixing a barb wire fence to answers about " Women"!!! lol

Anyway..Friday night our 'above stove' & built in to micro wave unit gave out,after 30years of age..Hotpoint brand..was there when we bought the home..I've been running around over the weekend checking electric cook stoves and micro wave units and pricing..Sears kenmore, amanna, maytag, & other brands..I've always tried to research any product before I buy one..but I need one now as soon as I can..I've found "Horror stories" on all brands..check this link and just enter and brand name appliance in the search area..OMG are they all this bad?? Even one tech telling the home ower the avg electric stove only lasts 4 years !! Even some Stove's turning on all by itself when no one is home !! Any service people here or salemen with knoweldge on site ?? suggestions of brand,etc?? would like a "Flat" top electric stove & micro wave..& later a new refrigerator/dishwasher. Thanks for your help !!!!~

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kenmore.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...aytag_ref.html
Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I seldom go about the thing; but, we have had our SIMPLE, no frills, Frigidaire brand cook-stove for nearly twenty-five years with never an issue.

Before that, we had one of those slick-top no-burner things that was nothing but junk.

I never buy anything but the plainest simplest appliances and they will last for years, regardless of brand.

Also, never buy "combo" appliances, such as stackable washer/dryer, or stove/microwave, as one component will sooner or later playout, and you are stuck with maybe having to replace both.

If you want junk, or your house burned to the ground, then buy the computer-controlled digital-readout high-dollar models.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:54 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it matters to you, Frigidaire went to mexico recently, at least I know the refridgerator line did. Whirlpool makes pretty good stuff these days and it's still made here at home.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:33 AM

Don't buy Frigidaire, there cheap, but junk.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by metalbasher
Don't buy Frigidaire, there cheap, but junk.
I must disagree, my Frigidaire stuff was neither of the above. Wall convection unit was $1,580. Smooth top slide in was $1,600, Counter depth fridge was $1,800, dishwasher was over $500.00.

I researched quite a while before sinking over $20K into our kitchen, between customer feedback and warranty, we feel like Frigidaire was a decent choice.

Others I would consider are Whirlpool and LG.

Every manufacturer has their entry level and top of the line.

I wouldn't consider this "junk" .

Anyone thinking of front loaders? We are also VERY pleased with the performance of our LG appliances.....

Again, not cheap or cheap looking I hope....

Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

The only thing that I can add is my personal experience with Kenmore and Sears. Everything in my house is Kenmore or Kenmore Elite. Our oven went out on our Kenmore Elite (Click Here) stove last year. Not a big deal as things do break.

Let me preface this buy saying that I HATE electric ovens and this one is no exception. I can't stand a smooth cooktop as cooking becomes a two-handed operation (hard to hold my beer). I much prefer a gas stove for cooking (and yes, I do all the cooking). When this one goes out again I'm buying a gas stove.

Anyway, back to my original thought.... The bottom element burned out in my oven. I called Sears to have the repair tech come out and look at it. The earliest that they could have someone out was a little over 2 weeks. I wasn't happy but what do you do? The repair tech came out having a pretty good idea what was wrong with the oven as I already told the service center what had happened when I called. He walked in looked at the oven and said the bottom element is burned out. No kidding? Now this is what burns my... you know what. While he was at my house he ordered the new part. He said that they would ship the part to my house in a couple of weeks. Once the part arrived to call the service center and he would come back and install it. So long story short, I was without my oven for almost 2 months over a burned out element that I could have replaced in 5 mins. The only reason I didn't was because it was still under warranty. Looking back I should have replaced it myself. Since their service sucks so bad the warranty doesn't really mean anything anyway. Now all appliance companies may be like this I don't know. This is the only experience that I have had so take it for what its worth.

Britt

Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I too would go with a gas stove.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Banned

get one with a clock, that way you never have to get her a watch.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by RoadDiesel
This great web site has been more than helpful for many of us this year..anything from fixing a barb wire fence to answers about " Women"!!! lol

Anyway..Friday night our 'above stove' & built in to micro wave unit gave out,after 30years of age..Hotpoint brand..was there when we bought the home..I've been running around over the weekend checking electric cook stoves and micro wave units and pricing..Sears kenmore, amanna, maytag, & other brands..I've always tried to research any product before I buy one..but I need one now as soon as I can..I've found "Horror stories" on all brands..check this link and just enter and brand name appliance in the search area..OMG are they all this bad?? Even one tech telling the home ower the avg electric stove only lasts 4 years !! Even some Stove's turning on all by itself when no one is home !! Any service people here or salemen with knoweldge on site ?? suggestions of brand,etc?? would like a "Flat" top electric stove & micro wave..& later a new refrigerator/dishwasher. Thanks for your help !!!!~

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kenmore.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...aytag_ref.html
Wow, we just bought all new Maytag appliances and now worried after readin those sites... we were directed towards Maytag as being a good brand...
Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM

Meets or exceeds energy star ratings. I personally have always preferred to cook with gas, but the newer electric are pretty trick too. Its like light bulbs, when one goes out replace with CFL. I am not saying this due to the environment, I personally think we as humans dont have as much impact as the politicians want us to think we do. I say this monetarily as going energy star will lower your bills just a bit.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM

I have a GE smoothtop electric and am pretty happy with it. As far as Frigidaire, they do have some nice stuff, but also some entry level items as well. It depends on your tastes and budget. I have Frigidaire front loading washer and dryer.

And PJ, your house looks very nice. Was it a custom build?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did a lot of research for value for the dollar buying each appliance so it is not a brand thing. Frigidaire refer, Dacor stove, LG micorwave and Miehle dishwasher... all have been top notch performers so far.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Gas is the only way to go....9 out of 10 chefs prefer gas to electric.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Gas is the only way to go....9 out of 10 chefs prefer gas to electric.
I can't believe it's not 10 out of 10. I hate electric.

Britt

Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What do indians know about stove tops???

Never mind I thought you said Chiefs.