Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Buying first digital camera, have ???'s.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying first digital camera, have ???'s.

We are about to purchase our first digital camera, we are looking at the Kodak DX7590.

1. We are looking at purchasing it at Best Buy, are the Performance Service Plans worth the extra $80 for 4 years? It would cover battery replacement, within those 4 years also. Batteries for this camera are about $35/each, so 2 batteries would almost pay for the plan.

2. What size memory card is best, Best Buy has a 256MB card for $35, is that a pretty good price?

Any more information you all can give me before I purchase this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eric
Old 02-17-2005, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My digital is a year old so in camera worlds it's "Old".

I have a Sony DSCP uh...... 52? Or something like that. I quite like it.

256 MB for $35 sounds like a good buy. I have a 256 MB card and paid like $80 or $90 10 months ago or less.

Personally I never buy their "extended service" plans or whatever..... I find it's a waste of cash. If you have a problem you'll deal with it yourself. and 4 years from now the camera will probably be hardly worth the $80 anyway. Plus the cost of the batteries will likely come down as well.

Your money though. Just my $0.02
Old 02-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Eric:

Go on cnet.com and read the reviews first. If you are still sold, go to ebay to purchase. They have some great kits (extra battery, 256mb card, tripod, etc.) for way less than you will pay retail. I just bought a Olympus C770 with 10X zoom (for my hunting pictures) and Mpeg movie format off ebay.

John (DH)
Old 02-17-2005, 05:25 PM

To figure out if you are getting enough memory with 256k, find out how large of a file size the camera produces at full resolution. Divide that by 256 and that is how many pictures it will hold. If you are not happy with that, go larger. Unless you have a laptop to drag around with you, running out of space will be a pain. Also, rather than just upping the memory size, make sure what the maximum size card the camera can read. I have an older HP that I bought a 512 card far, and it only supported a 128mb card. It worked, but every 8th picture came out corrupt. I ended up having to go with a couple of 128 cards to get what I wanted as fas as capacity.

As far as the service plan...I look at it this way. If you turned down every extended service plan you are offered a year, and add that up...you'll save quite a bit of money. If something breaks, YOU pay to replace it. You will come out ahead that way...at least that is how I feel. For exampe. My girlfriend's parents bought an entire stereo/theater system for Christmas. I helped pick it out and was there when they purchased it. They offered a service plan on every one of the components. If all of the plans were purchased, it was going to coast around $250...that is the cost of one of the compnents, and some change.

Good luck, digital cameras are a lot of fun.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 PM

It is usually more economical to buy multiple smaller cards if you need more staorage capacity. Rather than one large one. Also can be handy to have a couple cards, you can put different types of pictures on them or whatever..
Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Thumbs up Digital Camera

I have been through many digital cameras since they have come out. My latest and seems to be the best one so far is SONY DSC F-828 it is 8.4 megapixel has Zeiss optics, Night Shot so you can take pictures in total darkness. It takes both Memory Stick and Compact Flash memory. I have a 1 gig memory stick and a 1 gig microdrive in the camera at all times. Depending on what you set it at, at 3.2 M.P. I can get about 600 images on each memory. When you go to 8 M.P. it cuts it down drasticly. The camera is a bit bulky to handle at first because the lens is bigger than the body. Thing I don't like about it is the memory stick loads at the bottom by the battery pack. It gets decent battery life but I have 3 extra batteries and external charger. Bad part is I paid $1,300.00 for it when it was new but you can get them now for around $899.00. For the PSP I always buy it for as long as I can get and have used them on almost every electronic item. Something always breaks and if you take in to be serviced the minimum charge is around $85.00 if no parts are needed.
Also get yourself a good card reader to download the images, USB 2.0 is lot faster than using the supplied link.

*So far I am real happy with this camera.
Just my opinion. Jim

http://www.megapixel.net/cgi-bin/fs_...28-review.html
Old 02-17-2005, 06:59 PM

Try this review place Cameras
Old 02-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

I got a Kodak CX6445 and love it. It's got good image quality, video, optical and digital zoom, and it's pretty easy to use. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:58 PM

I have a sony cybershot and prefer it over most that I've seen. Takes great pics and it's easy to use. It's about 3 years old ( a 1.3 megapixel) but it still takes such great pictures that I can't make myself buy a new one.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:43 PM

While it may go without saying, a digital camera (any type) is only 1/2 of the equipment. The other 1/2 is a computer/photo software/CD burner. The remaining 1/2 is the willingness to put it all together. I know several people who aren't willing to take the time to actually put out good photos even tho they have all the equipment. Personally, I'm still using an old 2.1 megapixel Olympus and love it. Most of my photos are shared via CD's or e-mail. There is no way that I'm gonna print out photos for everyone who wants one but I'll give them a CD with 100's of photos on it. I also have a multimedia projector that is great for large group sharing, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:12 PM

hey, i have a Canon powershot A80, about 4 months it was the best of the smaller camera's you could get.

Ill tell you what, ive used my sisters comparative KODAK digital, and its pretty bad,

this Canon A80 takes some of the greatest photo's ive ever seen.

this camera is 4.0 megapixels, i paid like 320 for it on sale 4 months ago, and im pretty sure you can get it for around 290 now???

I use it to take pictures of my cars and having a 256 memory card is great! can hold so many pictures, beats the heck out of a regular film kind of camera.

Only problem you get with these digitals, is you end up storing literally hundreds of photo's on your computer.... i have that problem
i have upwards of 800 photo's just laying on my hard drive from family photo occasions, car shots, etc etc.

good luck.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Banned

go for what you can afford with the highest optical power, digital zoom kills quality quickly. try for something with at least 6x optical power, anything over 4 mp is good 6 mp and higher if you really want to be able to print large pictures, 8 mp is good if you want to mess around with photoshop and make blow ups of certain areas of a shot say a blow up of a single person in a croud shot.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:30 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

I just got our first Digital for my wife for X-mas and ( thanks to a lot of input from the guys on this site) I decided to go with the KodakCX7550. The camera holds about 35 pics in just the internal memory, of course this varys with the settings and quality. ( I took portriats of the kids on teh highest quality and size settings and the internal memory held 27 of them) The ONLY thing I am kinda unhappy with is the Kodak software.
It is real easy to use, and is designed to make organizing easy, but doenst allow you to do as much with teh pictures as I would like. You can change brightness, contrast, remove red-eye, ect. , but you cant resize except to preset sizes, nor can you change the file size.
There are no options for overlaying or doing anything very creative with the EasyShare software.
But the camera itself I am realy realy happy with.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:31 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...digital+camera

this is the link to the thread I started last Nov and got alot of good input from teh guys here