Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Busted windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Busted windshield

Well, I've been driving with a stone chip in the line of sight for about two years now. Two days after the glass place missed replacing my windshield for that, a truck threw up a rock and put the second chip in it. Drove around with both of them for about three months and got a third chip in the middle. Been driving with all three for about six months now but a truck in Charlotte was the final straw. You guessed it, another rock flew up and hit the windshield about a half inch from the top on the passenger side and that one started to run immediately. It ran about half way across the glass overnight so I called my glass company and had it replaced while I was in Charlotte Friday morning. Didn't want a lap full of glass while cruising 85 down 85 for sure. They did a good job on this one, no big smears or damaged interior or anything.<br><br>Wonder how long this one will last? The old one was the original.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Busted windshield

I drove around for 2 years with a rock chip, got it fixed and 3 days latter while I was parked at a house installing cabinets a 2x4 slid off the roof and wam :'( right in my new windshield. &gt; Good thing I wasn't in the truck or I would have got it right in the head. Had that one replaced on the jobsite and haven't had a problem since. Knock On Wood (Knocking on head) <br><br>I do know I'm glad I pay the extra $42 a year on my insurance for free class repair. <br><br>Good luck with the Windshield DD, stay away from the rock trucks. 8)<br><br>DB
Old 03-15-2003, 10:07 AM

Two summers ago my truck was sitting in my back yard in the shade of a very large oak tree. Dappled sunlight was all that was hitting the truck and the sun was behind the truck, not directly on the windshield. Had the windows open and had not been in or out of it for a couple of hours when I looked out and noticed a wierd reflection on the windshield. Went out and looked and the dang thing had cracked side-to-side midway up the glass. Dangedest thing I have ever seen. Nothing hit it that I could tell, no stars or scratches apparent, it just cracked on its own.<br><br>Glass guy that changed it had a bear of a time getting it out because it had been replaced once already. Having got the truck used it didn't surprise me that it had been into before.<br><br>Go figure. After having a star on my wife's Jaguar fixed (talk about an expensive windshield) I think I will catch them early from now on. You can't see the fix on hers and it sits outside, in the ice, frost, and heat of summer. If it was going to fail I figured it would have done so by now.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:31 PM

I heard there was a problem with a lot of rams having stress cracks due to the cab flexing / twisting (?). I guess mine was one of them, luckily the crack turned back on itself so I never got it replaced.<br><br>PISTOL
Old 03-16-2003, 08:07 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Never replaced a windshield in any of my trucks but have too many in my cars. One car had it replaced five times due to stones hitting it. Caused by lots of high speed highway driving. Once I had a windshield replaced and had a stone break it THE SAME DAY!!! Next day another new windshield. That was an 'interesting' conversation with my insurance company, but they finally paid.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I don't want to sound like a safety nut, but here goes.<br>The windshield in most vehicles nowadays is designed as an important part of the vehicle. If the winshield has a crack in it, you should replace it. A cracked windshield sometimes compromises the structural integrity of the vehicle. This would increase the chances of you getting hurt in an accident. Because one of the pieces which absorbs energy on impact, so that energy is not transferred to the driver, has already been weakened.<br>just my two bits<br>Rich
Old 03-16-2003, 09:59 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

If he has a cotter pin thru his head (ear to ear) he qualifies as a safety nut
Old 03-16-2003, 10:00 PM

[quote author=Scott Edwards(Gonzo) link=board=10;threadid=12277;start=0#116839 date=1047873431]<br>Safety NUT........ Or just a NUT.......<br>[/quote]<br><br>You little DareDevil Chump! : <br><br>DRecu!