Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Burning corn

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning corn

I saw a post on another site about a stove that burns dried corn. I live in farm country with thousands of acres of corn grown in our area. I heard an acre of corn can heat 1.5 medium sized houses for the winter. I was just wondering if any of you living in the north country are using this type of heat. I would like to supplement my heat as I use propane and it is a little expeseive. Not much choice in the country though. I don't want to do the wood thing for the mess that it makes. Just curious for more info?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:57 PM

Re:Burning corn

They are wood pellet stoves, I got one in my garage which I used to live in, the pellets around here are $150 a ton,which comes in 50 forty lbs bags, the one I have says that it can handle 50/50 corn and pellets, I tried it a couple of times and the corn/pellets were alot hotter than straight wood pellets,I really like my stove,It is made by englander,the most popular in Oklahoma is one called Quadrafire,might check out on the web, the most advantage to them that I see is there is no mess or ashes or smoke and are easy to use and they vent thru the wall with a triple wall and into a clothes dryer like vent straight thru not vertical, Goodluck Rick
Old 11-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Do they burn eatin corn or just the cobs?
Old 11-30-2003, 10:09 PM

The corn off the cob!! They give you a sack of the cobs for your restroom!!!! Not really just joking It is just straight dried corn. Goodluck Rick
Old 11-30-2003, 10:13 PM

from what I read they burn eatin corn. You go down to the feed store and pick up a bushel of shelled dried corn and put it in an auger thing and wha lah fire. darndest thing I ever heard of. and here I sit in the middle of corn country it's all field corn for cattle feed and I guess that is the stuff they burn.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:37 PM

Your on the right path now eieio,I just got the jest of your name Your right about the eatin kind,except the eatin kind for cows, I was buying a ton of corn to mix feed for my cows and I just took a bucket of it up to the garage/house at the time, mixed it 50/50 and lit her off,I do know that the quadrafire I mentioned above will, I think,do not hold me to it, burn 100% corn, Mine when 50/50 is alot hotter as I said before, Goodluck RIck Oh yea,one of my buds has the quadrafire and it is auto light,hooked up to thermostat! Hows that!!
Old 12-01-2003, 07:42 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

[quote author=eieio link=board=10;threadid=23087;start=0#msg216273 date=1070251993]
from what I read they burn eatin corn. You go down to the feed store and pick up a bushel of shelled dried corn and put it in an auger thing and wha lah fire. darndest thing I ever heard of. and here I sit in the middle of corn country it's all field corn for cattle feed and I guess that is the stuff they burn.
[/quote]
Not sure where to start looking in your area, but Tractor Supply does carry a variety of wood and pellet stoves. I have heard of people burning corn up here. Down the road, I plan on getting one of those outdoor wood burners that tie into your furnace and hot water. I know people that are thrilled with theirs, as long as you have access to fire wood.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:46 PM

I have an old NorthernTool catalog with a Corn burning stove in it. You might try them. northerntool.com

Gary
Old 12-01-2003, 07:34 PM

Yes sir Kandgo for real I live across the street from old McDonald (no Joke ) a couple of brothers that from what I hear own close to a section. around here I could probably pull my CTD along side one of my neighbors Gleasons and get a bed full. So when I read about these corn burners I thought wow I bet I can strike a deal or just sow a couple of acres of it, except I don't have a harvester,but anyhow it's gotta beat the price of propane.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:29 AM

I think you mean Gleaner.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:28 AM

My brother in law(yes I like him) is in a family business in northern MN. If you are interested, check out mikesheating.com 8)

If you call, ask for Jeff
Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 AM

Pellet stoves are a pretty good deal for myself and my truck. Storage of the fuel is the biggest hurdle I face, with mine.

Hey kandgo, how dirty is the corn and do you see more ash, than with pellets?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were looking at these a while back but I can't remember where we found them. The corn gets heated to like a syrupy mix and that is what burns. Very clean, hot, and very little ash. If I can ever find the link again, I will post it.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:29 PM

I have found more info since my orig. post. There are several manufactures that make pellet stoves, the most interesting one sofar is the combination models that burn wood pellets and corn the wood lights faster and then you can switch to a mixture or pure corn. From what I understand the corn does not light well by it's self but will maintain the burn once it is lit. What started out to be curiosity is now seeming very practical. There is a cost of 1500 or more to get a good looking unit but with the cost of propane and power outs etc it is still very interesting.
BTW ironmike I prolly did mean gleaner :-[AKA big thing takes up whole road get out of its way. also have trouble spelling John Dear whae do you expect of a guy that fishes for a living and lives in the middle of a corn field
Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 PM

Hey,eieio, did you find any info on the quadrafire brand?? And when and if you get one be sure to get the adapter kit to run it off deep cycle batteries when power is gone,they will run for 3 days on a single charge if you got a good deep battery.I notice a small increase in what they call billits which are like small and very hard burnt up matter for lack of a better word,remember I only burnt mine 50/50 I have never went 100% corn,and I agree it is easier to start on straight pellets,I never bought the starter paste,I used just plain old charcoal starter fluid.Goodluck you will like the pellet stove,I also found that 1 ton of wood pellets heated my house like 9 to 10 ricks of wood did when I burned firewood. Goodluck and let us know how you like it when you get one. Rick

Quick Reply: Burning corn