Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Building a new garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of total cost are you looking at for the 30x30, Latitud?

I am looking to buy about 4 acres and want to put a building about that size on it to store some things in between selling current house and building new house (and then shoplike after that).
Old 08-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by latitud_rt
Well the news is getting better. I had an excavator come by today and he suggested going with a pole barn and said it would indeed pass code. Not only will he help me clear the ground for the slab he will also dig the 18" holes for the poles. He know the building inspector and said code would allow the pole type structure, not only that, he said go 30 x 30.
i built mine here in florida close to the coast.we have some of the strictest building codes in the country.it is rated for 130mph wind

patdaly,the hansen building is framed like a pole barn and then clad in metal.it goes like this

#1 excavator sets your elevation then you put up batter boards and mark pole locations

#2 dig post holes and set the poles.then set your skirtboards.now you can pour the slab!

#3 next come trusses and roof steel,then steel on the walls and install doors

#4 move in!!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my floor poured after the building was up. The Amish out of Lancaster built it.
Here is a link to my pictures.
http://www.putfile.com/scottsjeeprolet/images/136503
there order is backwards so start at the last one and work back.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the sequence pictures.I have helped to build a couple before, one was huge...to park a 5th wheel camper. The catch is I am not to excited about heights so the roof is going to be the biggest issue. Monday I am going to call the inspector and get all the details, then hopefully order materials Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the sequence pictures.I have helped to build a couple before, one was huge...to park a 5th wheel camper. The catch is I am not to excited about heights so the roof is going to be the biggest issue. Monday I am going to call the inspector and get all the details, then hopefully order materials Tuesday or Wednesday.
the trusses and roof were easy i rented a scissor lift and built some 2x4 forks on it to lift the trusses into place.me and one freind built the entire thing

like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/MEC-2548HT-SCISS...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
He know the building inspector and said code would allow the pole type structure, not only that, he said go 30 x 30.

That is indeed good news!

The Pole Barn is the easiest of all to build, and pouring the slab is easy as well.

Get the OK and don't look back!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 PM

I talked to the inspector this morning and he said to come get the permit, bring a few sketches for location, size, etc..nothing to detailed is required. I checked with the local Lowes and it looks like I can buy everything from them and they can order the trusses and siding and roofing. Total cost about $6,000 for material, $1500 for extras with the major cost being the steel. Steel is coming in at $3 per linear foot. With concrete slab, gravel, excavation, misc, and materials it looks to be about $11,000 finished. I am still drawing up a few things to get cost down so I figure take away about 10% total. Things like lowering the wall height from 12' to 10', this will allow me to get 6x6x14 instead of 6x6x16 and the total linear feet for steel will go way down. I think 10' interior height should be plenty.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Might be, unless you ever want to put a real lift in there.

I went 12' for that reason.....
Old 08-21-2007, 12:22 PM

Updated!!

I got my permit, bought the supplies, lined up the necessary personnel....waiting for tree stump to be removed. Hopefully the excavation will start on Friday and no surprises will be coming. Got most of the supplies from Lowes and they had a huge sale on garage doors this past weekend. Two doors cost as much as the framing lumber.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck w/ your shop.
PM me if you have any questions, would be glad to talk to you. I'm only building an 80MGD water treatment plant right now (that's not 80 Miller Genuine Drafts either), but have built plenty of houses, shops, etc.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Update

Moving along just fine. I got the slab poured today. Nice finish, very smooth and they put the first coat of sealer on it also. Tomorrow I am starting the framing for the header and sill boards, maybe even the walls. I got my garage doors, my double door, and all the vinyl siding ready to install. At least 7 or 8 more days to get it all finished.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM
RAF

Taking pictures to post as you go? I can't wait to build mine. Waiting for $$$$.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:28 PM

I just got a quote of ~$8500 for a 30x30x10 + ~$2200 for concrete. He said without seeing the site he couldn't give a complete estimate so that is why the numbers are ~$. Seems a little high to me, but maybe not. I might have to just go with a 24x30 garage style building for now, if they are any cheaper.

And we are waiting for pictures latitud_rt.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Pictures are coming....taking bunches everyday. Got one wall almost ready to sheath, plan to finish the other walls tomorrow. I had a change in design plan today so back to Lowes for $200 more dollars in lumber. I put the second coat of sealer on today and somes area have a few bubbles, no big deal, sealed just fine. Been in the mid 90's during the day, so hard to get a lot of work done. I took this week off planning to finish, but I don't think I am gonna make it. I hope to get the roof on this weekend, but I am supposed to Autocross race all weekend. Decisions, decisions....
Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 AM

A few pictures

Here are a few pictures, started Aug. 29, pictures thru Sept. 9. About 1 week left until finished. Still have to put up sheathing and Vinyl. Plan to finish the roof this evening.
Attached Thumbnails Building a new garage-dscn0052.jpg   Building a new garage-087.jpg   Building a new garage-101_0426.jpg  

Quick Reply: Building a new garage