Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

build my next PC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
build my next PC?

I know less about computers than I do my truck, yet my computer probley has more miles :. Any way I need to step it up from this old IBM thinkpad laptop. I have chatted with a few do-it-urselfers, and they say it is easy to build one and a lot cheeper than a dell or gateway. What do you guys think? Any links to helpful info?
Old 08-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:build my next PC?

Yes.

If you build it they will come.

I'm not computer illiterate, but not an expert by any means.

Bunch of coworkers were building their own, pricing out parts and such, so I got the bug.

Learned a lot while doing it.

Would have saved, but ended up spending about the same as the Dell or Gateway (had a gateway previous), and ended up with a much better, faster, stronger, crashproofer, and the hard drive wasn't filled up with all the crap that comes on a Dell or Gateway.

Only recomendation I have is get 1 generation (or two) lower than the latest and greatest.

Price will be much lower, and performance not that much different.

Expamples: (prices exagerated for effect and CRS disease)

The 1.9 gigahertz processers had just come out, say for $1,000.
The 1.8 was $950.
The 1.7 was $900.
I got the 1.6 for $300, and the average user would not be able to tell the speed difference.
The money I saved on the processor let me get triple the memory than I had planned on. (always get more memory that the bundles systems come with)

Got one step lower on the video card (16 meg memory instead of 24) for almost half the price.

Get twice the hard drive you'll think you need, the price difference won't be that much.

phox
Old 08-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Check out Techbargains.com, for some good deals on parts. Also pricewatch.com, you can order the stuff fairly cheap that way as well.

There are some really good deals on complete systems now, about what you would pay for a good motherboard and processor, you may want to rethink building it yourself as if you buy, it comes with support for a year.

Dell has some really good deals daily with special coupons, techbargains.com lists them everyday, look them over.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:01 PM

I agree with Lary - while its a great learning experience to build it, there seems to be smokin computer deals right now. Also, if you buy as a system, the warranty is probably better than having warranty on each individual part.

Another point, do you know someone that has built systems and can give you a hand in the event that you have problems or questions? Something to consider.

On the other side of the coin, it is fairly easy to build a system and there are lots of forums that will likely help you out in case you get stuck.

Also, follow phox's advice on parts - the "latest and greatest" isnt always much better and is usually MUCH more expensive.

The choice is yours.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard to build one today with the excellent deals going on right now. The ongoing war between HP/Compaq and Dell is keeping the desktop prices down. This also includes bundling monitors and printers with the desktop. Another plus is warranty and tech support.
But if you're planning to build stick with the big name, Intel for processors, chipsets, NIC's, etc.... AMD makes a good processor, but the alternate vendors chipsets can be lacking, especially with DDR memory.
For video graphics controller ATI and Nvidia is good, for video memory 32mb is ok, 64mb if you're a gamer.
Windows XP Pro with SP1 is very reliable, the minimum memory config is 256mb.

MikeyB
Old 08-02-2003, 07:04 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

This computer is a built up job. I know a guy in a very large computer club and know he builds computers. When I told him I wanted a new computer he told me that the club as a project had just designed and built the "Ultimate Computer". So just over a year ago decided to let him build this one. Was glad I did because they ran into some compatability problems that took a team to find and fix. Never a problem from the day I took delivery.
So I now have what the is known as the "Ultimate 3". It is a modified version of the Ultimate 1 because I did not want any gaming options. It is quite fast and does everything I need. Cost around $1100. I already had the monitor and keyboard.
Here are the main specs for those that might be interested:

Brushed aluminium case
Gigabyte Ga7VTXE dual bios motherboard
Athlon XP CPU 1880+ 1.53 Mhz
512 DDR memory
Mitsumi 1.44 FDD
Hard drive; WD 60 Mb
CD-ROM: 52X Sony IDE
CD-RW: 24x10x40 Samsung
Video card: Pine GeForce Mx400 64 Mb
Modem: US Robotics 56k
Creative Sound Blaster driving a 6 speaker surround sound system, the Creative Inspire 5.1. The sound system is awesome.

Old 08-02-2003, 09:04 AM

I prefer rolling my own as well; that way you eliminate the proprietary headaches that you can encounter with the large OEM firms - both HW and SW. And if you're upgrading, and not underwhelmed with your current video/sound,NIC, Hard drive, etc; you can use these parts in the new computer to help save some more bucks.

Mexstan, I used the same mo-board/Athlon for my boys computer - it screams.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Muted User

I've been 'assembling' 'puters since the early 90's & have yet to have any problems with the systems I've built for my dad, sisters, brother, nephew & myself. Only my nephew's would have been considered "bleeding edge" & even it worked fine.

Even with prices for complete systems as low as they are I feel I can still beat the pricing with careful shopping & some patience. What I normally do for my own systems is usually upgrade piecemeal which allows me to find the best deals. Here are some recent examples:

*Memorex 52x48x52x CD-RW Drive, 2MB Buffer === ~$ 8.00 after certificate.
*Maxtor HD, 80GB, 7200RPM, 8MB Buffer .........=== ~$ 20.00 after rebate & certificate.
*Mag Innovision 18.1" LCD Monitor .................=== ~$440.00 after rebate.
................(all amounts include tax)...............

Another advantage to building my own system in the past was getting an actual W'OS CD. Probably not an issue today, what with bundled CD-RW's or DVD-R's which would allow making a 'backup' of the HD resident OS. In the past I had the security of knowing that when (not if) I corrupted my HD I'd be able to recover with my very own Windows CD. Don't know what users of big-name systems did/do in the same circumstance but I can say it certainly wasn't/isn't as convenient.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Muted User

One of my favorite websites for HW research is tomshardware.com. Have been using the site since its earliest beginnings -- many years -- & it's even better now.

If you decide to get into 'hotrodding' your 'puter you might also want to visit some of the overclocking websites. Here are 2 off the top of my head:

oclockers.com
overclockers.com

Tho, with the speed of today's processors, IMO, it's simply not worth the effort since most apps/programs don't tax today's processors in their normally clocked state let alone in an oc'ed state ... but whatever floats your boat. Along the same lines, & I don't know if this is still true today, but back when I was considering a dual processver system I discovered that very few apps/progs were able to make use of both processors. In other words, an app/prog had to be specifically written for a 2 processor system otherwise the extra processor essentially remains idle.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:32 AM

Suburbanite hit the nail on the head.
tomshardware.com can point you in the right direction. Tom spends much time working on finding the right mixes of components to get the best speeds and compatibilities. I built my last computer off of some testing he had done. It was about $200 cheaper than a Dell that was "similarly" configured.
If you've got the desire, the information is out there. I am a fan of homebuilt PCs.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:13 AM

I've built my last two computers. I go to a local computer show and look for vendors who are in my area in case I get anything that doesn't work and needs to be exchanged. Many times, if you buy the key components from one vendor, they'll even put it together and test it before you leave. I don't know if computer shows are popular anywhere else in the country, but in in the BosWash corridor, they're all over.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:43 AM

I think building most of my pc's was the best thing I ever did as it forced a lot of education down my throat. Having said that, I bought my last 3 computers from dell. In my opinion you can't beat their prices on everyday systems. The difference for me comes when I need an extremely high performance machine. I have done several for friends who wanted cutting edge game or video editing machines. Then building exactly what I wanted with top end parts was the way to go. Entry and mid level machines incorporate a lot of stuff like sound and video embedded on the motherboard. makes it harder to upgrade and/ replace when you need something better.

good luck, I think building one is very educational and there are lots of folks here that could provide extremely good technical advice.

Homebuilt machines are also better if you want to run something besides windows. It is a lot easier to get components that are already certified and working for something like linux then trying to make an embedded generic video or sound card work.

have fun!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been building PC's for over 15 years now and would really suggest buying a complete system over building. When buying a system you are getting the manufactures expertise in the integration of each item. You also get a warranty the covers the system as a whole instead of each individual component.

The price difference really is not that much, $44.00 difference for what I priced below.

Build you own system:

Case with power supply    $35.00
52x24x52 CDRW       $50.00
Intel P4 2.4 GHz    $200.00
Maxtor 40 GB Hard Disk    $70.00
Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse $26.00
256 MB DDR RAM       $50.00
Intel Mother Board    $221.00
Video/Sound/NIC included
Media Card Reader    $24.00
1.44 Floppy       $9.00
        &n bsp;-------
Hardware Total w/o Monitor   $685.00

Microsoft Windows XP Home $95.00
Microsoft Office XP SBE    $189.00
Norton System Works    $22.00
        &n bsp;--------
Software Total       &nb sp; $306.00
        &n bsp;

System Total not including Tax, Shipping, your time, or a Monitor

$991.00

Close match for a purchased system includes a 3 year warranty

HP EVO D530 CMT Pentium 4 2.5 GHz with Windows XP Pro
$823.99
Includes Windows XP Pro
Add Office & Norton
$211.00

Total $1035.00

And no, I don't work for Compaq! I just believe that you get an overall better product when you buy a Compaq/HP
Old 08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Chapter President

I just remembered that my mother has a computer that is a couple of years old that could be fixed. The operating system quit working or something, I havn't really looked at it, but it probley wouldn't take much to get it working and upgrade it right?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=MOSTWANTED link=board=10;threadid=17858;start=0#msg169563 date=1060282951]
I just remembered that my mother has a computer that is a couple of years old that could be fixed. The operating system quit working or something, I havn't really looked at it, but it probley wouldn't take much to get it working and upgrade it right?
[/quote]

Depends on what's wrong with it. If you want to take a look at it and PM me with any error messages, I'll do what I can to help you at least figure out what's wrong with it and see whether it can be fixed cheaply and easily.

Quick Reply: build my next PC?