Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Which browser?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 09:55 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TomW
[B]Thunderbird is a replacement for other email programs such as Outlook. Are you using POP3 for Yahoo or using strictly the web based page? If you're using the web based page, no need for Thunderbird.

I am using POP3
Old 11-26-2004, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely give Thunderbird a try then. And since you're downloading the messages to your PC, you may want to start researching Anti-Spam software. Unfortunately, they won't stop it all. I don't use anything like that, so I can't really make any recommendations.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:40 PM

After reading what you guys were saying about Firefox, I went to try it. I downloaded it and I don't know what happened. My computer locked up to the point I had to force it to shut off. When I tried to restart it would not even start up in the safe mode. I was also running Norton anti-virus and got no warnings. I just spent three hours trying to get this thing up and running again. I wound up using the restore cds that cam with my machine and I lost everything including a $200 custom install of XP. I ain't none to happy. I think I will just stay with IE6. Does anybody have any ideas as to what happened??? I don't know if there was a virus, trojan, or what have you since I got no warning. I'm stumped.
Tom
Old 11-27-2004, 02:53 AM

Tom, have no idea what would cause that without seeing first hand what happened. I've never heard of that happening with a Firefox install.

I would say that you should have hollored for help first, but how the heck are ya gonna do that when you can't log on, huh?

Here's some info from the Windows Help area.

Feature: Recovery Console

When to use it: If using Last Known Good is unsuccessful, and you cannot start the computer in Safe Mode. This method is recommended only if you are an advanced user who can use basic commands to identify and locate problem drivers and files. To use the Recovery Console, restart the computer with the installation CD for the operating system in the CD drive. When prompted during text-mode setup, press R to start the Recovery Console.

What it does: From the Recovery Console, you can access the drives on your computer. You can then make any of the following changes so that you can start your computer:

Enable or disable device drivers or services.

Copy files from the installation CD for the operating system, or copy files from other removable media. For example, you can copy an essential file that had been deleted.

Create a new boot sector and new master boot record (MBR). You might need to do this if there are problems starting from the existing boot sector.

Available on: All versions of Windows XP.

For more information, see Recovery Console overview.

Feature: Automated System Recovery

When to use it: After all other attempts at recovery fail, or if you have replaced a damaged system hard drive. You must have previously used Backup to create an Automated System Recovery set.

What it does: Automated System Recovery restores all disk signatures, volumes, and partitions on the disks required to start the computer. Automated System Recovery then installs a simplified installation of Windows and automatically starts a restoration using the backup created by the Automated System Recovery wizard.

Available on: Windows XP Professional. Automated System Recovery is not available on Windows XP Home Edition.

For more information, see Automated System Recovery overview.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by TomW

Available on: Windows XP Professional. Automated System Recovery is not available on Windows XP Home Edition.

The idiots at the computer store told me that the only difference between home and pro is the remote desktop....
Old 11-27-2004, 08:39 AM

I am slowly getting the system built back up. Last night I spent 6 hours (no, I ain't a computer guru ) getting things going again. Man, I didn't realize how many passwords I had out there!!
TomW, the machine locked up "tighter than a drum". Absolutely no commands would do anything. I tried too bring up the task list and force a shutdown, but it even ignored the control/alt/delete. That is when I hard booted it and it would not even start in the safe mode. I really want to "hard boot" it now. My #10's with steel tows should do a decent job!!
Tom
Old 11-27-2004, 09:34 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
MnTom, I feel your pain and frustration. Had something similar a few weeks ago and it has taken me many frustrating hours to get my computer humming along like it used to. Every now and then I still find another program that has to be re-loaded. Still fighting with a few items, but at least I can use it now
The computer gurus here in DTR have helped me a lot.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
The idiots at the computer store told me that the only difference between home and pro is the remote desktop....
There are a LOT of differences between the two versions!

Here are just a few things that XP Pro has that XP Home does not.

Encrypting File System
Access Control
Centralized administration

You can see the list of differences here.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:14 PM

Yeah, XP sure can be cantankerous; I feel the pain about rebuilding a computer with XP. Been there, done that; and went back again ......

I finally solved one of my biggest timesinks, and that was to put Win2K back on the kids machines - rock solid.