Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Which browser?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:54 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Which browser?

Another question for your computer nerds, experts and general enthusiasts. I see that there is a new updated kid on the block - Firefox. So now we have a choice of the old IE, the new Firefox, Netscape and Opera. Which one is best for general home use with just a bit of office stuff thrown in? Why? What would be second best and again, why?
I use Yahoo for my email. Would that be a problem with any of the above?
Old 11-12-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stan, FireFox is feature rich and you can't go wrong with it. I suspect this one is really going to give Microsoft a run for their money and force them to make some serious enhancements to IE in order to stay in the game.

The really great thing about FireFox is the ability to download extensions that work in conjunction with the browser to make surfing much more easier and enjoyable. A must have in my book, and as it matures, will most likely be the best browser out there. I have found no isses at all using it with Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:08 PM

I recently started using Firefox... no complaints so far! Haven't had much time to really check it all out, but it looks good!

Tony
Old 11-12-2004, 12:14 PM

I have been using fire fox for a while now and so far i have no complaints with it at all. Its a really awesome browser loaded with tons of features... Plus it will work on just about every Operating System...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well, I'm using mozilla- not the firefox, but the complete package. It runs under Linux. (And under a load of other operating systems too).
Once you are used to "tabbed browsing" you won't go back to IE. Also doing your e-mail stuff is much more fun with either mozilla or thunderbird. Good junk filter already there and a lot of other features. The only downside is that all these lovely viruses that exploit security holes in IE and outlook (outlook express) simply won't work.
If you go for one of the alternative browsers instead of IE you should also get Java from Sun. (To replace the microsoft virtual machine)
All the trademarks belong to their respective owners and were just used to identify the products involved.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-12-2004, 03:49 PM

Do It, go to Firefox. My son the computer nut (16) talked me into it and I gave him a big hug the very first time I used it, because it about doubles the speed of my dialup load time. You will not regret it. All our IT guys and really computer literate guys at work use it for a browser, and Linux for an OS on their personal PC's, like Alpine Ram. My son has also been pestering me to go to Linux. He is currently building a new computer out of a couple of old ones that were given to him and will install it on his computer.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:43 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Thanks for the answers. Can I just download Firefox on top of or next to my existing stuff? Or do I need to delete anything first? Any conflicts later with existing programs?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:53 PM

Mex, all you have to do is download Firefox Mozilla and install it. You can run it alongside IE and Netscape if you wish.

During the install, Mozilla will ask you if you would like to import your IE favorites/cookies and possibly redirect you to a Mozilla ftp site for any updates.

I haven't had any conflicts.

Piece of cake.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:22 PM

FireFox rules. I have way less pop up bs.
This software rocks.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:47 PM

I've been running the firefox for about a week now and like it, seems to load pages faster
Old 11-14-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get Firefox. Once you've tried tabbed browsing you'll never go back. BTW I have had IE, Netscape and Firefox running at the same time with no problems. Also Thunder bird looks like a great alternative to Outlook. The only problem is it won't work with Netscape mail.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:25 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have switched to Mozilla and like it. However I still have a few questions.
I cannot get IE Spell to load into Firefox. I have tried to load it into different parts of Mozilla but can't see it. Is there a way to do this or is there another way to to spell check all the mistakes my computer makes?

I use a Mozilla bookmark to go to my email which is Yahoo. Is there another or better way to do this? Should I be using Thunderbird instead?

I am receiving more and more spam in Yahoo. I never open these and just delete them. Lately it is up to about a 100 a day. Is there a way to stop spam without purchasing a spam program? If I am forced to buy an anti-spam program, which one?

Twice a day I run Ad-Aware and every time it finds 1-3 bad things. How can I stop this?
Thanks again for the help I have received in the past.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:05 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I also use Firefox and love it. Once I found out about the tabbed browsing and integrated pop up blocker, I was hooked. It's also much more secure than IE, so I won't ever be going back.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Mexstan
I use a Mozilla bookmark to go to my email which is Yahoo. Is there another or better way to do this? Should I be using Thunderbird instead?

I am receiving more and more spam in Yahoo. I never open these and just delete them. Lately it is up to about a 100 a day. Is there a way to stop spam without purchasing a spam program? If I am forced to buy an anti-spam program, which one?

Twice a day I run Ad-Aware and every time it finds 1-3 bad things. How can I stop this?
Thanks again for the help I have received in the past.
Thunderbird is a replacement for other email programs such as Outlook. Are you using POP3 for Yahoo or using strictly the web based page? If you're using the web based page, no need for Thunderbird.

Spam blockers work for mail coming into your machine and are worthless if you're using a 3rd party system such as Hotmail or Yahoo. Save your money and hope Yahoo puts better filters into place.

As for the stuff on your PC, it's just a matter of safe browsing and telling your browser which cookies to accept. 1 to 3 items isn't that bad. (Probably just persistent cookies that like to call home). The only problem with getting too restrictive with cookies is some sites don't like you doing that, and will prevent you from viewing the site. I usually allow 'em, then whack 'em at the end of the session.

Oh.. As for the spell checker, you may have to wait a bit for a new plug in. A lot of the plug ins for Firefox still need to be updated for the new version.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mexstan

I use a Mozilla bookmark to go to my email which is Yahoo. Is there another or better way to do this?
Stan , try making the page for Yahoo your home page. It will come up every time you open Firefox or click on the home button. You can do this by clicking on "Tools" then "Options" then select the "General" tab and either use the "Use Bookmark" button and select the site you want or after you've gone to the site use the "Use Current Page" button.

Quick Reply: Which browser?