Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Brightest flashlight ever

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:53 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Brightest flashlight ever

WOW, so I bought a Streamlight Ultra Stinger for use in Search and Rescue night operations. All I can say is WOW, it's the brightest flashlight I have ever seen!! I mean this thing is about 2/3 the size of a three cell mag light and much lighter. Comes with two chargers and all accessories I need, and has 75,000 candlepower!!! It's like using the spotlight on the squad vehicle. It's so bright that we actually got to laughing about it. I also have some really bright LED lights, but never seen anything like this. It's so bright I gotta wear shades. you guys ever use one of these things?

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=12
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I'm out of service I haven't kept up with things like this. Streamlight is the only way to go, I'm sure you are keenly aware.

I have my well worn duty SL20 and Stinger XT with the focus ring.

If you buy a streamlight you'll never 'need' another light.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
We run Streamlights, too. Fewer problems.

I think you made a good choice, and I'm sure it will serve you well.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 PM

I just bought myself 3 Streamlight flashlights (all LED)....sure makes working in relative darkness a whole lot easier.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with you guys. I was really amazed by it. I hear so much about Mag lights but was never all that impressed with them. I don't understand why Streamlight isn't as popular in stores. I guess the Mag is good for the price, and I could understand that most people wouldn't pay 80 bucks for a Streamlight like this one, but to me it's worth it for sure. There is just no comparison. I like their LED's too.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:39 PM

You haven't seen bright until you seen the night hunter 2 made by xenonics, a guy at work has one he got it free (dont ask, cause he didnt say) but its worth $2000.

I am even considering trading him for a brand new arsenal inc AK-47, xenonics claims you can light something up a mile away, we were out in the field a couple of nights ago and lit up a stop sign at almost a mile away, its freaking awsome, to bad its so expensive, maybe he'll take my bait but i haven't decided if its a worth while trade for me, what do you guys think?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:11 PM

Streamlight Ultra stinger is pretty good duty light. but certainly not the brightest.

there's all sorts of HID lights that take that title.

for small production lights Surefire M6 is considered the best.

here's a pic showing M6 next to a 2D maglite which houses an Xbin 5watt luxeon driven at 1.5amps. it's the world's brightest single LED light.

those three lights are worth aprox. $1,500

Old 10-03-2006, 01:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Why Jack, It almost sounds like you could become a member of this forum....
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

Everything you ever wanted to know about flashlights....
Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I suspect in the next few years we will see HID come down in price, and lots of people will be upgrading flashlights.

I run a HID light on my mountain bike, and it's just amazing. You'd swear you were looking into the headlight of a locomotive, and it burns like that for over 4 hours on a charge.

I'd shell out a few bucks to have a flashlight like that, with Streamlight's reputation for reliability.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have had Streamlight SL-20 with 35 lamp in my trucks since the 80's.
The earlier ones had inferior charging contacts in the drop in charger base and switches but were cured with the later style.
I also have the rechargeable Maglite but the feel is not the same as the Streamlite, the latter is more comfortable.
They use the same battery stick.
Also have many Surefire weapons lights.
Jim

http://www.megaray.com/index.html
Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
One of the big things that keep Streamlights out of the normal consumer's hands is the price.
You can buy quite a few Maglites for the price of one small Streamlight.
For the average Harry-Homeowner, a $2 Walmart 2 cell flashlight is enough to see in the dark when the power goes off.
A $100-$200 flashlight is overkill.
I keep my 4 D-cell Maglite in the truck 'cuz it doubles as an "Attitude-Adjuster" when necessary.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 AM

those three lights are worth aprox. $1,500

[/QUOTE]

They might cost $ 1,500, but i don't think they are worth $1,500.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:12 AM

Jack, Candlepowerforums is the world's premier site for bleeding edge technologies. I've got 8,000+ posts there.

there's an unbelievable amount of buying and selling of flashlights within CPF. here's a picture of a simple mod for streamlight Argo HP.headlamp. a 17670 li-ion cell along with an exotic Sbin Luxeon star is added. This mod aprox. double lumens output and greatly extends runtime.

Just used Argo HP headlamp last night when tearing into my 97 CTD auto valve body. a headlamp is required when under your truck and needing both hands free.

pic shows Argo HP w/ li-ion cell, other flashlight is a Mclux titanium PD currently selling for $650.

Originally Posted by westcoaster
Why Jack, It almost sounds like you could become a member of this forum....
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

Everything you ever wanted to know about flashlights....
Old 10-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Have you tried the LED conversion for the standard Maglite?
It replaces the entire lamp module that mounts into the focus assembly and is supposed to be the equivelant of a 3 watt Luxeon LED. I have seen them at Home Depot and Fry’s
For about $15.00 it is a good entry into LED lights.

I also use LED headlamps for work for handsfree lighting. Couple of Streamlight Argo's and a modified 3 watt Petzel.

You are right,
Most people would thing you were crazy to spend $100.00 for a flashlight, let alone $25.00 for the battery or $30.00 for the lamp.
Jim
Old 10-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Banned

I have a Browning LED/Xenon that I use for hunting, but otherwise I use the Mag Light shoved between my seats. Mag makes a good light for the money. They are tough and cheap. But far from the best light out there.

Anyone remember this thread?
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight+BOMBing

Quick Reply: Brightest flashlight ever