Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Briggs charging question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Briggs charging question

My question relates to the glued or stuck on magenets that are on the inside of a flywheel of a small engine. My question is if 1 or say 2 (one on each side of the flywheel) are missing - would this provide charging power for the 12 volt system or what is it that would not work right? I have been a nuts and bolts person all my life, but have never contemplated such a thought.

On the other side of the question - if a magnet has came loose from the flywheel - What would a person use to refasten this magnet to the flywheel again? Everything else is in good condition - just the one magnet is loose and I do not want to spend the bucks for a new flywheel if I do not have to. Call me cheap - but..... Looking forward to learning even in my older age. thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
it is possible to re fasten the magnet, using a good epoxy, just make sure it goes back on exactly where it was.

As far as charging goes, the 'charging' system on these smaller engines, is only really enough to maintain the battery, not charge it in the normal sense of the word. That being said, if the battery is run down at all, the system won't really be able to compensate enough to bring the battery back to full charge.

I had somewhat of the same problem on a gx series 13.5 hp Honda engine, on a pressure washer. Once I wrapped my feeble little brain around the non-charging ,charging system I was good to go.

when you glue the magnet back on, check all your other variables, such as air gap for the mag, etc, and life should be good.

Good luck
Old 04-10-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks. I had a hunch that is what should be done. Just thought I would ask. And yes I love my Dodge. They make a great 4/4 2500.